iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures added!!!!Bad luck starting a new job on a friday???

Started by Woodhauler, January 25, 2013, 05:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

3-4 old timers told me NOT to haul wood with my new truck today cause i will have bad luck as long as i own it. Is this fact or fiction???????
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

you must belive it if your on here. and who says you arent an old timer?

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 25, 2013, 05:53:06 AM
you must belive it if your on here. and who says you arent an old timer?
I am only 39!!!!!!!!!!!  And i need to change one fitting on my pump to make things right! Fitting needed to be a 45 instead of staight. Just would not work long that way.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

Woodhauler

jd540b

FACT!!!! Don't do it!!!! I've always be told and live the same thing.  Have an "old timer" friend 80 yrs old that used to make me cut trees in the dark on thursday nights if we moved late on a thurs so we could get going or we would wait till the weekend or monday.  Fix your pump, and sit there and admire your new rig.  Haul wood tomorrow. :)

Ed_K

Along with never look for a new job on Mon.or Fri. I look at my next job/assignment on Sat. The one time I looked/started a job on Mon. it was a nightmare all the way thru.
Ed K

thecfarm

I would not take any chances. Those old timers that worked in the woods know what they are talking about.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

If i moved onto a new job on aThursday ,i made sure i cut a few trees, fixed the yard,did something to start the job before Friday !!! just something that came down from my father,grandfather  dont know if theres any fact in it ,just something i have done. Its just like something always breaks on a holiday, when you cant get any parts to fix  things,never fails. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhog

If it means losing a days work ask for advice on it from your bank :D

florida

I'd say any day you can start a job is a great day!

These old-timers you've talked to, they all wealthy men?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Black_Bear

This superstition is fairly common around here. The French-Canadian guys seem to give it the most credence, although the superstition seems to be believed by loggers of all heritages, and not all French-Canadian loggers believe in it.

The crews I currently work with don't believe in it. They'll start a job at 3:30 Friday afternoon if that's when the equipment lands at the new job site.

Ken

Although I've heard that saying before if I listened to it I would miss a lot of work days.  So did you put the new truck to work today?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

last i knew he was looking for hydra fittings. hes not answering his phone today. my guess is its not going as planed

treefarmer87

I have heard that before too,that its bad luck
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 25, 2013, 04:33:45 PM
last i knew he was looking for hydra fittings. hes not answering his phone today. my guess is its not going as planed
Got it done around 10 friday morning, had to wait till 3:00 to get the computer programed to run my loader. Going out today to haul wood! We could have been done thursday but i wnted things to be done right!

Woodhauler

Getting it lettered sunday, willpost a picture or 2 then!

toploader Ford

When I worked for a sawmill/logging company, we too never started a new job on friday. We either waited for monday or got out in the woods thursday and cut at least one tree.  We never cut trees on a windy day either, but that made sense.

lumberjack48

If i moved on a new job on Fri. and didn't turn a wheel till Monday. On paper to me this would be a 4 day lose . I could have 50 to 80 cds on the landing, calling the trucker on Monday.
I would be going crazy, equipment setting, new stand of timber waiting on me. I wouldn't be able to sleep, i would be laying there figuring how much money i lost. And then figuring how much more wood i'll have to pull everyday to make it up.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Cedarman

Fairly certain that Friday job thing was started by some hired hands mid day on a Friday that wanted to go home early. :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

giant splinter

Luck has a lot to do with things:
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"    Elmer G. Letterman
roll with it

snowstorm

he just brought the new star here for me to see. hes just like a kid at xmass

jcl

what are you running for a engine in your westernstar?   what ever you due protect that DPF!!!  had a kid slide on black ice into the side of one of our trucks hitting the dpf $20 grand to replace it!!! 
New Holland Tc45d
jonsered cs 2159
CB. Maxim
block buster   processor

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 26, 2013, 06:25:27 PM
he just brought the new star here for me to see. hes just like a kid at xmass
[/quote

Thank You Sponsors!