iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Semi

Started by hackberry jake, January 25, 2013, 03:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

What did you think of when you read the title? My guess is big ole honkin 18 wheeler. Semi means partial or somewhat in a lot of circles. Like semi-retired for example. Why are the biggest things on the road called semis? While I'm on my soapbox... Why do we have the letter "c"? What can it do that "s" or "k" can't do... I mean kan't do?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

florida

Semi means half so it takes two halves to make a whole. A semi truck is made up of a tractor and a trailer. In other words each part is half of a regular truck.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Magicman

I retired, then semi-retired, and now I think that I am just a semi.   ::)

The "c" keeps your name "haskberry jake" or "hakkberry jake" from being screwed up.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bama20a

Can't sleep can you?  :D :D :D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

hackberry jake

I work 3-11pm and stayed over a couple hrs and got off at 1. So a semi is just the trailer, or just the truck?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

bama20a

The truck. A truck with a detachable trailer.

hackberry jake

Oh, well I guess I drive an 06 Tacoma semi  stupid_smiley

bama20a

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 25, 2013, 03:29:07 PM
Oh, well I guess I drive an 06 Tacoma semi  stupid_smiley
:D well never looked at that way,But I guess you do. ;D

stefan

Since english is not my first language maybye i should stay away from this, but on the other hand i am a truckdriver, so i´ll take a stab.

Heres how i understand it, a trailer is the type of veichle that is just pulled by a truck, it is trailing, and all of the load is on the trailer witch has axels in each end and its own turntable for the one or two axels in the front.

A semi trailer is the kind where the front end of the trailer hangs on the truck, and the truck carries roughly half of the trailers weight and it is therefore only "semitrailing"

As time has passed the truck and semitrailer combination now often is just called a semi i guess.

Does this sound right?

beenthere

stefan
Sound real good to me, and makes good sense.
Semi-trailer and tractor.

But really, just semantics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

Best explanation I've herd, but in the states we call everything that is pulled a trailer. Unless it ain't got wheels then it's a sled. And for some reason we don't call dodges trailers even thou most of the time that's the only way they move  ;D

Maine372

Stefan is right. a 'trailer' would be like a hay wagon with an axle on each end, fully supporting its own weight. a semi-trailer relies upon the truck-tractor to hold up one end.

stefan

Here in sweden it is very rare to hear someone say "semitrailer", instead they are just called "trailer", and a trailer is called "vagn", witch is swedish for wagon. So if you ask me, we have the trailer thing a litte backward.

And, me being a chevy man, having had chevy trucks since i got my drivers license in -85, like hackberry jake says, i dont think i have ever heard a dodge being called a trailer.
Why is that?  smiley_huh2 ;D
But this is a can of worms that maybye should not be opened.whiteflag_smiley

DanG

The can is open and the worms have escaped!  Stefan, your explanation is good, but I disagree.  I think it is because the tractor is useless without the trailer.  Alone, it is only a semi truck.  Neither part is complete without the other.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

stefan

I see your point there DanG.
I guess i focused more on the trailer/semi trailer than the truck/trailer combination.

But like i said, as i´m not from an english speaking country i dont think i should dig to deep into this.

Now, about these worms...

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: stefan on January 26, 2013, 03:07:49 PM

But like i said, as i´m not from an english speaking country i dont think i should dig to deep into this.

Well, those of us who live in the "South" ain't never been convicted of speaking real English anyhow.

Herb

DanG

Quote from: stefan on January 26, 2013, 03:07:49 PM

Now, about these worms...

I am quite impressed with your ability to communicate in a second language, Stefan.  You do a lot better than many who have English as their only language. ;)

Now, about those worms, they have me wanting to go fishing. 8) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brucer

So, according to my dictionary
- "semi" can mean either "half" or "partial".
- a "semitrailer" is a trailer with wheels at only one end".

What I wonder -- why is half a circle a semicircle, but half a sphere is a hemisphere?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

stefan

Thanks DanG!

For many years my hobby was hotrodding and dragracing, and then it didnt hurt if you where able to read and understand english a little bit.
Popular hotrodding was a favorite magazine many years ago, and now there a lot of forums on the web.

Also im not that hardcore GM, i have a soft spot for mopar aswell.
And speaking of hemi, for those of you that like the 426 Hemi, there is a forum, moparchat.com that have a tread called "Hemis and the NHRA" in the dragracing section, that has been going on for more than ten years!

Very interesting if you like this stuff.

Fishing! Now why didnt i think of that?? :D

Slabs

Jake, I'm of German descent and we can live without c's.

Lynn, hakberry would have the same pronunciation.

I sometimes katch myself unknshously leaving out c's and substituting k's while making quik notes.

And it helps  being a redneck.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Don_Papenburg

Brucer , it is because a circle is flat and a sphere is three demensional.  So if you called it a semisphere people would think that you were talking about a truck without a vagn.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brucer

;D

I was curious enough to find out. It turns out that "circle" is derived from Latin, and "semi" is a Latin prefix. "Sphere" is derived from Greek, and "hemi" is a Greek prefix.

English is really a mongrel language.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Slabs

English may or may not be a mongrel language but I speak American and know wnere I stand.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!