iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I hold this log down ?

Started by mfletch1, January 25, 2013, 12:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfletch1

First Post....
I built a mill.  My family had a 40 some inch head saw with an all steel frame and carriage.  We logged a bunch of pine beetle kill 8" to 30".  My dad said..hey lets retro fit the old mill to a band saw but I said...lets retro fit it to a swing saw mill.  That was a year ago and I just sawed my first board.  I have a mill that swings 180 degrees and locks at 90 times three points.  It is built around an eight tooth 27" 1/4" kerf blade with carbide soldered teeth turning at about 2500 rpm driven hydrostatically with a Sauer Danfos 35cc piston motor, 45 cc variable pump and a 4 cyl Nissan engine.

I have a question....does anyone have a link to something that would show a design for manually dogging this size of log on a carriage that rolls through a swing saw ?  I'm tired of trial and error design. 

Secondly does anyone have a chart or calculator for feed speed vs wood type that would reflect HP draw or torque ?

Thanks all,
mfletch1.....mechanic/welder but not much sawyer.
fletch

Fla._Deadheader

If you could post a couple photos it would help us help you.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Fletch.

We have quite a few swing millers here on the forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Can't help you with your ?? but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

Hello mfletch, welcome to the forum, we are dang near nieghbours. Im from Valleyview. The coffee is always on if you are ever driving through

POSTON WIDEHEAD

MF.....I can not answer any of your questions because I have a band mill. But I'll betcha a nickel to a dollar somebody on here can help you.

Welcome my friend!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Sounds like an interesting set up?

All the swing mills I've seen leave the log stationary, and move the saw head. Not that moving the log breaks any laws of physics or anything, it's just unusual.

Because the log is generally stationary on a pair of bunks it needs very little to hold it in place. Often just gravity, although there are various dog systems available for holding smaller logs.

This shows how the Peterson dogs work, they are just a spike and clamp arrangement that clamps to the wooden bunk and gets tapped into the log.
http://petersonsawmills.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/manuals_ez_dog_guide.pdf

Not sure how well they would behave in a carriage situation with the log moving all the time?

Most important is that the blade can't reach the clamps at it's lowest setting. A very loud and embarrassing noise occurs if you try to saw though a metal log clamp.

Feed rate is really variable on a swingblade. One pass might be 8" deep, you need to feed slow, the return might only be 1" deep (or vice versa) and can be fed really quickly. You have to more get a feel for the way the mill is cutting. It's hard to exactly describe, but you will know if you are feeding too fast.

I'd be interested in seeing what you have built too.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mfletch1

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and feedback everyone.  I will certainly post some pictures.... probably tomorrow.  I just tested it but have a few more finishing touches before I call it "operational".  I look forward to learning how to saw.

mfletch1
fletch

mfletch1

Success !  It took a bit but I managed to create an album of my swing mill pictures and attach the link.  Feel free to quiz me on the pics.  Thanks for the dogging info Ianab. 

I have a lot of questions but should start with this one.  I used two taper-lock bearings on the saw arbor and cant find an actual torque spec.  The supplier says to keep tightening till there is an increase in rolling torque.....nice but hard to get accurate.  It is an 1 and 7/16 shaft.  I got them as tight as I could with a 16" spanner but I can't imagine the mayhem if it ever came out on the fly.
fletch

redbeard

Welcome mfletch   looks like a very powerful mill all hydraulic driven. Gschwend who is a member here had a brand X mill that he put on a 40' deck that had some well thought out clamping features he designed. If you took a look at his gallery it might give you some ideas. Don't know how to post a link too it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

mfletch1

Thanks redbeard...I'll be sure to try and find it.
fletch

Thank You Sponsors!