iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

i know i ve seen a mill on the road before... cant say for sure when though.
o know of at least seven portable mills near here that are never moved, some never started.

logs trucks? about 7 every minute.

hackberry jake

The "how many mills near you" question could be another post of its own. The neighbor across the valley has a lt40hydraulic that is usually stationary. I know of a mr. Sawmill that is about 10 miles from me and a Norwood about 12 miles from me. I have heard of more but never seen them. There's supposed to be a lt15 owner that wants me to sharpen 100+ bands for him but only through mutual friends did I hear this info. The lt40 owner was on the discovery (I think) channel a couple years ago. Here is an article from woodmizer about him http://us.woodmizer-planet.com/index.pl?act=PRODUCT&id=23
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

r.man

I used to see one mill many times in the year. Frequently it would be parked one door down from my house across from the general store. The owner would be in getting his mail or a newspaper. This fellow was a retired GM foreman who bought a manual mill to stay in shape with a money making hobby. He eventually sold all his holdings here and moved back to a more urban area for better access to health care. I have rarely seen a mill on the road since.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

pnyberg

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 25, 2013, 09:14:27 AM
Can't remember seeing one on the road since WM brought me mine, 12 years ago last week.  Except in my mirror.  :) :)

I've never seen one either, but I have this vision in my head of Dennis and I passing each other someday going opposite directions somewhere in Connecticut.

--Peter
No longer milling

losttheplot

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 25, 2013, 05:03:15 PM
The "how many mills near you" question could be another post of its own. 

I live on an island that is only accessible if you have a boat, there is a small barge available for hire.
It is two miles long and half a mile wide +/-
There are around 60 full time residents and perhaps another 100 weekenders.

As far as sawmills go....

There are 4 portable band saws,
There are only 2 circle saws now as one left.
A mighty mite mobile dimension mill.
A chainsaw mill with a 3120 Husky.
4 or 5 Alaskan sawmills.
And I have a Norwood LM 2000.

You would think that 9 mills per square mile would be sufficient, however, there is currently an LT 40 sawing over here from a nearby island.

To be honest most of the mills have not moved in years.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

JohnM

Quote from: pnyberg on January 25, 2013, 05:50:02 PM
I've never seen one either, but I have this vision in my head of Dennis and I passing each other someday going opposite directions somewhere in Connecticut.

:D :D :D  That image cracked me up, Peter.

Oh and to answers Ray's OP...there is one local guy with a LTsuper that I see 2-3 times a year dragging his around, including to my place a couple of years ago. ;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Al_Smith

I've never seen a portable mill be pulled .I do however see a multitude of log trucks because right down from work is a veneer exporter .

The haul them in ,auction them then haul them out again .

Migal

:) I know of 6 portable mill's in my county. The only one I have seen on the road was mine in the mirror's almost A year ago. Did renew my tags yesterday LOL . When I got mine home I kinda hid it from the road on purpose I'm still kinda of a selective sawyer one might say.  8)    :snowball:
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

schakey

I run about a 500 mile radius of Akron,Oh. I've seen a few Woodmizers and a couple of Timberkings on the road. A lot of log trucks. Once Woodmizer pickup
Passed me with a new mill in Indiana(sure wish they were going to my house)
Sometimes I get to travel the back roads in Pa and see some portable mills
Working.there is a manual mill along Pa rt 80 and 220n that I eyeball when I
Heading west,if it's daylight.
I am always looking for mills where ever I go.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Chuck White

I think that most people transport their sawmills either early morning or late afternoon/evening.

In the middle of the day, they should be sawing!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 25, 2013, 08:04:00 AM

Funny thing about the mills, after Christmas I was on my way back from Ga. I kept seeing one in my rear view mirror. The son of a gun followed me all the way home ;D  8)  ;)

That happened to me, too! My avatar is the proof :D :D

I don't recall ever seeing another mill on the road, in front or behind me.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Solomon

There's only two of us in my area doing it.   There are a few small manual mills around with no wheels under them.
My friend Paul has an LT40 I have an LM4 and they are the only two rolling in Hampton Roads  and We've both become known as "Those guys with the saw mills".
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

petefrom bearswamp

I see a very few on the road.
There are 10 to 15 portable mills within 20 miles of my location 99 percent appear to be stationary as is mine.
My neighbor Tim Roberson is 3/4 mile from me and is 99 percent portable with a nice LT50 and stays busy.
I saw him yesterday and told him about the forum.
As it is colder than a well diggers behind in the Klondike and he is house bound now i hope he gets on the forum  and joins.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

fishpharmer

Rarely do I see a mill travelling down the road.  Yet, I can think of nearly a dozen within 30 miles of me.   We have lots of trees.

I have never seen a Lucas or any swingmill in transport anywhere (cept pics on here).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I learned last week that one of my "competitors" has hung up his sawblade.  Most of his former customers are mine now anyway.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Migal

;) Be nice  ;D Always hate to here a blade that hang's up.  8) Hooked up with a cabinet maker Shhh keywords word of mouth.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

sumday

I finally saw a mill being pulled down the road today. I was headed south on I-81 near Stevens City, Va this afternoon and passed a WM headed north. I think it was being towed by a black Chevy, can't be sure as I really only had eyes for the mill. Wasn't any of you guys, was it ?

francismilker

Never seen one in my life except in a rear view mirror.  I'm not in logging country at all and have the only mill for miles as far as I know. 
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

MAI

Can't say that I've seen any mills in tow here in the Southern Tier of NY.  Lots of logging trucks rolling thru the area, especially in Northern PA.   Many of our clients are going from jobsite to jobsite, I know they're out there.  Kind of like when I use to hunt deer, I know they're out there, it would be nice to see one once in a while!  Have a Great Day.   

dgdrls

Two WM's on the same truck.  I believe it was the WM Hannibal gang with an LT-10 on the bed and what looked like
an LT-40 in tow. 

DGDrls

chance33

Anyone see me dragging my Turner from Bremen, Oh Sat pm 4/6/13; rt 22 to Zanesville, I-70 to I-77 to I-80 to I-79 and north to Saegertown. Long trip!! Bought it at a sale at what I feel a good price. 24 hp electric start, electric up/dn, 20' bed and 10 new Lenox blades.  Got it serviced. Now need to get some logs down, if the rain ever stops. Almost got the 4 wheel drive tractor stuck while cutting firewood this pm.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

dgdrls

Quote from: chance33 on April 17, 2013, 10:31:27 PM
Anyone see me dragging my Turner from Bremen, Oh Sat pm 4/6/13; rt 22 to Zanesville, I-70 to I-77 to I-80 to I-79 and north to Saegertown. Long trip!! Bought it at a sale at what I feel a good price. 24 hp electric start, electric up/dn, 20' bed and 10 new Lenox blades.  Got it serviced. Now need to get some logs down, if the rain ever stops. Almost got the 4 wheel drive tractor stuck while cutting firewood this pm.

Welcome aboard Chance33,

re-post your your stuff under a new thread then more of us will find it.

Photo's?

Best DGDrls

stamper

I'm usually on the road before daylight or after dark  myself, usually the mill  and another truck with a trailer behind. I see other mills on the road not ofton maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

clww

I have never seen a mill being towed about.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

chance33,nope,I missed ya,  :D  Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!