iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 30 satisfied or not?

Started by pasbonbasile, January 23, 2013, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasbonbasile

Hello all, been lurking and learning here for awhile and want to get another mill. Had a LT40 hyd mill got transferred and had no time to run it, looking for another one now. Found an LT 30 manual and the person said make an offer, sent pics but no specifics like hours or extras. Mill looks pretty good but I am wondering after having a hydraulic mill if the manual mill will live up to my expectations. Care to share your thoughts and ideas on what to offer if I cant get the serial # and hours? thanks.
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, pasbonbasile.

First off, I would want the serial number of the mill and verification from Wood-Mizer as to ownership of the mill.  The procedure just takes a phone call.

Explain to the seller that you are just being cautious.

Portable sawmills have been stolen.

If you will only be sawing for yourself or maybe a friend or two, going to a manual mill after having a hydraulic mill will likely be OK.

If you are going to be getting into a mobile sawing business/hobby, you might consider holding out until you can swing getting another hydraulic.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you can't get the serial # or hours......I would be cautious.

If I went from a hd to an manuel......I would not like it. However, if my checkbook would only allow me to get a manuel.....I'd have to get it. I just love to saw.  :)

Good-Luck and Welcome to the Forum.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

pasbonbasile
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Where are you located, in general?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rooster 58

whatever you decide, good luck. Welcome to the forum

pasbonbasile

sorry folks, located Basile, La. South central Louisiana about 20 miles north of I-10.
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

millwright

I had an LT30 with the power feed and power up down on the  mast, it was good sawing and very dependable saw. It had the 14 hp kohlerand seemed to have good power.

Magicman

Hello neighbor.  I have no "manual" experience but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

We will look for you on the Food board when it is time to make Crawfish Pie.   digin_2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tronvik

I love my lt30 it would be hard to talk me into selling. Even loading with the ramps gives me a break from sawing. But I only saw for my own projects. It would be hard to make a profit with a manual mill(not impossible). I have been acquiring the bits to make a log loader that looks original. I call mine my spare mill,or keeping it for my son mill,whatever keeps the wife off my back to sell it :). If the price is right and it checks out with woodmizer serial#, good luck.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

pasbonbasile

just got a little more info on the mill, it has the 24 hp onan, and has 2710 hours. No serial number yet. Just got a phone call that may put all plans on hold though. May start a new job that will run 7 days a week 10 hour days. but the money is good 450/day but no benefits.

pasbonbasile

also comes with sharpener and setter. Too many marbles rolling around in my head right now.

pineywoods

Welcome pasbonbasile, from the other end of the state, just north of I20
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

cptbob06

I have a 1986 lt30 and have had real good luck with it. I am the 3rd owner and use it mostly for personal use. I do an occassional job for some friends. Logs up to 16 to 24 inches are managable with a winch and cant hook. It does take considerable time from sawing to winch the logs up onto the mill. I made a bracket that hooks onto the bed rail and has a electric winch mounted on it. If you have a loader to move logs onto a skidway and don't mind rolling logs by hand, a manual mill is fine. Your age might also be a factor in the decision. Do you want to wrestle a 2000# log by hand?

dgdrls

Quote from: pasbonbasile on January 23, 2013, 08:02:36 PM
just got a little more info on the mill, it has the 24 hp onan, and has 2710 hours. No serial number yet. Just got a phone call that may put all plans on hold though. May start a new job that will run 7 days a week 10 hour days. but the money is good 450/day but no benefits.

Welcome aboard,  Pasbonbasile

Sounds like a dandy little mill and that new work opportunity should help pay it off quick!

Good luck

DGDrls

kenlt30

I use a portable 1999 model LT30 with hydraulics, debarker, set works, etc. Rarely, I have a customer that needs more than 16' length. I refer them to my competitor. Love the LT30. Easy to get into tight spaces, saws great.

inspectorwoody

I have a 93 lt30hdg24 and enjoy the heck out of it.

Nice machine.

I wouldn't rush into anything. Take your time and look around. A lot of good used Wood-Mizers out there.

Thank You Sponsors!