iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade wiper/wick setup

Started by mikeb1079, January 23, 2013, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

hey fellas, i've recently run into some annoying situations where i had some ice and crud in my crude water drip setup causing it to be pretty much useless when i needed it.  i had switched over to windshield wash but still had some trouble.   i'm starting to think that a diesel wiper setup with some sort of felt wick action is the way to go.  i see cooks sells a setup like this but it's not cheap and the pic is not the best.  so my question is:  for those that run a diesel drip/wick setup will you post some pics of how you did it?  what kind of felt, valves, etc?

thanks in advance,
mb
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

york

Hey Mike,do a search and or go back thru old threads-there is a whole thread that talks about this and is home made too...albert
Albert

mikeb1079

okay thanks i'll see if i can find it.   :)
homebuilt 16hp mill

thecfarm

bandmiiler2,has a wick, Send him a pm. I guess he has not seen this yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Mike,wick systems work well,no hard fast rules you just need an absorbent wick that will rub on the band section behind the gullets top and bottom.I used 3/4"  round wick that was used in the old road pots that they used to burn to mark trenches in the road.Probibly felt would be just as good.you just need to hold it agenst the band with a little tension.Mike sorry I not up to the picture thing.As Bert said theirs been quite a bit written on wick oilers if you use the scearch function,if you can't find it I'll go into more detail with my one typing finger. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Mike on this page read "roller blade guides" I described a wick oiler there. Frank C.

kelLOGg

Here is a link. Mine has worked well for many years except for big old heart pine timbers. The teeth do still get pine pitch on them but they have to be really heavily pitched like lighter wood.
Bob

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58022.msg843717.html#msg843717
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mikeb1079

cheers guys.  thanks for the feedback.  kellogg, that's the thread i was reading a little while ago.  are you still sourcing your felt from mcmaster carr?  if so, which type?
homebuilt 16hp mill

kelLOGg

Mike,
I used soft gray F7 felt (part # 8762K671).  I just guessed at what Cooks used and ended up with a little softer felt and when I re-order I think I will go to a firmer version. What I have works well but I want to match the original firmer stuff because it may hold its shape better. After months of sawing it will get wedge-shaped probably due to the band teeth tearing it when new. Incidentally, I ordered 10ft Dec 2009 and still have 4ft left and I probably change it more often than needed. A little bit goes a long way. Best of luck,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Prehaps certin devices used by the ladies with attached string would make a good luber,I will not own up to this suggestion. Frank C.

shelby78

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 24, 2013, 07:42:35 AM
Prehaps certin devices used by the ladies with attached string would make a good luber,I will not own up to this suggestion. Frank C.

At least if the mill had a bad day you could blame it on something  :D

mikeb1079

QuotePrehaps certin devices used by the ladies with attached string would make a good luber,I will not own up to this suggestion. Frank C.

:D :D

now that's funny.  would be an interesting mill feature for sure.  kellogg thanks for the parts link, i think if i do this i'll go with the stoutest felt they have.  may wait til spring tho, working on mill takes place in driveway and it's been cold cold cold.   :snowman:
homebuilt 16hp mill

barbender

Frank, you're too much :D Now I'm glad you don't post photos ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!