iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak or Ash?

Started by proteus, January 23, 2013, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

I cut this log up last week. It looks like it had been down for a couple of years, but it was still in good shape. I thought is was Oak, but a friend was thinking it might be Ash. I haven't tried splitting it yet. I didn't want to spoil the fun of getting some other opinions. I live in NE Iowa and where i am cutting, there are a lot of Black Walnut and Hackberry.

I hope this works. This is the first time i tried to attach a pic with my post.
Greg

proteus

This is a better pic of the bark.

Greg

Al_Smith

Ash would be my guess .

ely

ash firewood stacked against a hackberry tree is my guess

colincb183

I would say it's ash too. Can't tell what kind, but its ash.

Jeff

proteus, is there a reason the image is so small?  The forum will compress your large photo on upload, and keep it at a viewable size.

I'm going against what everyone else has said here so far, but we need bigger photos, but I think it is oak.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Definately not Ash.  Could be oak.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WmFritz

I've only sawn white ash and from the pictures, I know its not that. No diamond pattern in the bark ... sapwood too dark.  I gotta go with oak too.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mesquite buckeye

Looks like bur oak bark, and right area..... :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Slab Slicer

Tough to tell from the small pics, but I'm guessing oak as well.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

colincb183

The bark in the top picture looks to me like ash, the wood does look too dark though.  The bark in the bottom picture definitely resembles some kind of oak. I think I'm going to change my answer to oak of some kind.

proteus

Looks like were turning the corner from Ash to Oak. :D
Jeff, as far as the pics are concererned, I took them with my cell phone. I sent them to a friend via text and he sent them back by e-mail. I will take better pics with my ipad and post them. I split a piece yesturday and it sure split like oak. I used a maul. It only took one swing to split a 20" piece in half. Thanks again for all of your input.
Greg

Jeff

Yep, that's what shrunk em. The text message. None of the bark resembles ash to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

proteus

Thanks Jeff. I will post better pics tomorrow.
Greg

MJD

I say oak also, little band of sap-wood at the bark makes it look to be oak.

petefrom bearswamp

I say Oak.
have never seen ash with that much darker heartwood and the bark looks wrong for ash.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

proteus

Hopefully these pics will show a little more detail.

Greg

ely

recant, im saying pecan, after further review.

thecfarm

Did someone mention PIE??  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

The first pic looks like blackgum.

I believe the second pic to be hickory.

I believe the third pic is one of the less scaly white oaks like burr oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

proteus

All three pics are pieces from the same log. The coloration in the pic is not the best, so i understand why so many different opinions.  The heart wood is more of a light rusty color. Not dark brown found in Black Walnut.
Greg

LeeB

Uh, anybody ever try to split pecan or hickory? Still looks like red oak to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

If it is oak, you will be able to see the rays. Looks more oak than ash from the color of the heartwood.
For sure not walnut.

But looks like more than from one tree, but OP said all from one tree.

Appreciate the better pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wheelinguy

Never seen an ash like that, gotta be oak.  Can you tell just by the smell when its cut, oak smells..., well kinda like oak. :)

OneWithWood

The top pic reminds me of chestnut oak but the bottom two sure look like hickory.  Both are very hard with the chestnut being slightly harder on a chainsaw.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!