iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saxophone question

Started by Raider Bill, January 23, 2013, 10:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

We found a saxophone in the trunk of a car belonging to an estate. It is a Henry Selmer Series 2 serial number 527499. Looks to be in real good condition and the case it's in sure is nice. Actually it's 2 cases one goes inside the other.

How do you tell if it's a alto or tenor? Sure has a lot of buttons on it.

Any ideas what these things are worth?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pineywoods

The difference in the 2 types is mostly just size. From the pics, I would say that is an alto sax, can't say for sure. Looks to be in excellent shape. What usually goes wrong is the leather seals on the valves gets hard and brittle. No idea what it's worth. Selmer is one of the better known makes..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Wenrich

Its an alto sax.  Looks to be in real good shape.  I sold my old tenor a few years ago for about $100, and it was not in rough shape.  Selmer is a fairly common brand, but that have several different grades.  Lots of school kids use the alto, since its not as hard to fill. 

I'd look around for prices.  Some of those saxes go for a pretty good price.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Roger2561

It's an alto sax.  The shape of the neck is a dead give away.  If it had been a tenor, the neck would have had a hump in it just beyond where the mouth piece attaches.  I used to play one when I was in our school band.  That was quite a few moons ago.  Roger
Roger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Roger2561 on January 23, 2013, 02:04:38 PM
It's an alto sax.  The shape of the neck is a dead give away.  If it had been a tenor, the neck would have had a hump in it just beyond where the mouth piece attaches.  I used to play one when I was in our school band.  That was quite a few moons ago.  Roger

Out of the 20+thousand members on the Forum......somebody has the right answer to every question.  :)
Way to go Roger!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

I knew someone here would know!

When the afternoon girl in my office got here she put it together and started playing. We just stared!!!

Now to find out what it's worth.

clww

Arriving late (again!), but it is an Alto, as pointed out earlier. The neck is the give-away.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I Googled it and found some interesting information.  This one looks silver, but still interesting:  Selmer Sax
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slab Slicer

Best place to check value is on Ebay. Not sure if I should post a link for them though. I can say that they are selling for a few THOUSAND dollars  :o

Go to Ebay, and in the search box, enter Selmer Series 2  . Then look at the completed listings. You will see what I'm talking about. Musical instruments are hot right now, and I believe you found a good one.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

fat olde elf

Nice find on that alto sax Raider ! Selmer is an excellent brand.  I was shopping for my grandaughter for an alto last year and prices are all over the ballpark, but Selmer is top of the line.  Horn appears to be in excellent condition...... Good luck......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

giant splinter

You have a very well taken care of alto sax,not sure what its worth but the brand is popular and well made. Get an appraisal as it is a valuable instrument.
roll with it

beenthere

Me thinks the OP is the appraiser.  ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I am an Appraiser but only do cars and motorcycles. This sax goes to the surviving Son he can do whatever with it. I was just curious. I will say sax is my favorite instrument to listen to though.

isawlogs

I bought a sax for my son a few years ago, the Selmer series II  was way up there in the 3 to 5 thousand buckaroos... That one there is top of the line with pearl caps and engraving, Son should be proud to own it.  Hope he does that one fine peice of instrument, sax is also one of my favorites.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

$3K-$5k sax in the trunk of a $500.00 car  :D :) ;)

WDH

Since you have taken semi-residence in the Tennessee Mountains, I figured you would have developed an ear for the banjo  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on January 25, 2013, 10:09:50 PM
Since you have taken semi-residence in the Tennessee Mountains, I figured you would have developed an ear for the banjo  :D.

Haha I do not have a ear for anything. Must be tone deaf. Except for a little jazz from time to time I hardly listen to any music.

Thank You Sponsors!