iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unscheduled Day Off

Started by Magicman, January 23, 2013, 08:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My helper questioned me Monday evening as I was picking up and loading my tools, about why I bothered because we would be back sawing Tuesday morning.  I explained then that we never know what tomorrow may bring.  I may not be back for a week.

This morning my customer called with an emergency situation and would need my helper on another unrelated job today.  I get a day off, and the helper finds out why I always leave the sawmill covered and secure.  We just never know.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

A great example of being prepared for the unexpected.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

That sounds just like me at my house.  :D  Meaning you just never know what will happen.I am kinda slack on somethings,but when I get done,I usually pick everything up and and put it under cover as if I was going to get a big rain storm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sealark37

A few years ago I purchased the contents of a shop that had been left with the doors open for 15 years.  The previous owner had gone to his house for a few minutes and never returned.  You never know.   Regards, Clark

thecfarm

And I thought I get side tracked.  :D  The wife is just about done believing my,I'll be right back, story.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2013, 08:33:37 AM
My helper questioned me Monday evening as I was picking up and loading my tools, about why I bothered because we would be back sawing Tuesday morning.  I explained then that we never know what tomorrow may bring.  I may not be back for a week.

This morning my customer called with an emergency situation and would need my helper on another unrelated job today.  I get a day off, and the helper finds out why I always leave the sawmill covered and secure.  We just never know.

I do the same thing, and sometimes the mill comes home too  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I never leave tempting items at a sawsite, always put them back in the truck at the end of the day.

The fuel tank, and sometimes, if it's near empty, the water tank goes on the truck too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

isnt  that just comonnsense? or am i missing something?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2013, 08:33:37 AM

This is the part I was responding to.

You never know what might happen.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I believe that we are discussing commonsense shutdown procedures ROL, so I doubt that you are missing anything. 

In the OP, my helper was questioning me about why I took the time to clean up and put up "knowing" that we would be back the next morning and just have to drag it all back out before we could begin work.  I have read where some sawyers even leave the blade on the sawmill overnight.  Not me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill is stationary and I have to clean up. Just something as simple as a pair of gloves. The Dang Coons stole them this past fall and I found one in the pea field where they dropped it.  >:(

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

I often get questions too about why pack up if I'm coming back in the morning.  The mill gets covered with the head chained to the front. Tools go back in the truck.  Gas and water too, often refilled by the time I come back.  I guess it's just the way I do things so I am not worrying about things all evening I say.  I like to know where things are and tidying up is what I do.  Hate to imply that I don't think the customer's place is secure but after they've spent a day with me I think they understand I have some habits.  :) ::) :o :o :o :snowball:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I've also had the customer ask "why are you taking the blade off, it hasn't been on very long"?

Then I'll explain to him that if I leave it on any length of time, it will rust wherever the blade is in contact with the blade wheel belt!

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2013, 01:43:59 PM
  I have read where some sawyers even leave the blade on the sawmill overnight.  Not me.

umm I might be guilty of that the odd time  smiley_dunce

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Chuck White on January 23, 2013, 03:07:29 PM
I've also had the customer ask "why are you taking the blade off, it hasn't been on very long"?

Then I'll explain to him that if I leave it on any length of time, it will rust wherever the blade is in contact with the blade wheel belt!

I never thought about that (not a sawyer yet) but makes sence because its been soaking in water all day.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

As Chuck stated, I think that it has much to do with the tannic acid in the sawdust that is trapped between the blade and the B57.

Another blade item involves safety.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2013, 04:27:31 PM

Another blade item involves safety.

Good point M&M's !  :) The very first week I had my mill I left the blade on and the head was raised. All the teeth were exposed to whoever would run into it. I had not closed my blade guide. (rookie).  My mill was new and a neighbor just had to see it after dark. Took him to the mill and low and behold I just about ran my forehead into the blade when I rounded the mill and ducked down.  :o
I take my blade off......for safety and I just like to start the next day with a sharp one.

I'm glad my head didn't hit the blade....ya'll would be telling me to stick a HOT paper clip in my forehead. ;D

ely

i only take a blade off to get a fresh one on. i run the band at high speed without any water until its dry then loosen it off until next time.

drobertson

there is no doubt that when portable, every evening should end with a complete wipe down, shut down. No one knows what tomorrow will bring.  In the shed I have had some slacker moments at the end of the day.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

i completly got the original post. isn't that just common sense? to me you are trying to make this a teaching lesson on how to be prepared. sorry just my opinion
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

No, not making a teaching lesson at all, just stating that my helper found out why I do put everything up at the end of the day.  He and I will have a good laugh tomorrow.  The unscheduled day off put a wrinkle in my plans for this week.   :-\

I was planning to finish that job tomorrow morning and resaw some beams and timbers for Dodgy Loner tomorrow afternoon, but now we will have to reschedule it for later when we can get our schedules to coincide.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Maybe this thread should be a teaching lesson.

When I first got my mill, I had NO idea what to do. There are a lot of newbies's, as they call themselves that need to learn a routine.
Learning a good routine from seasoned sawyers is not a bad idea. Being prepared IS being prepared for we do not know what tomorrow holds. I've learned a few things from this thread and have enjoyed what others have shared.  :) Thanks Guys.

Red Clay Hound

I've had a mill for about five years.  My first mill was a stationary LT15.  Now I run a portable LT40HD.  I have to admit that I have not been in the habit of taking the blade off at the end of the day - I release the tension but don't take the blade off.  This is why I love the forum.  I learn something every day from experienced sawyers!  Thanks guys.  :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

barbender

I'm the guy that has too many irons in the fire and doesn't always pick up cause I'll be back in the morning. You'd think I'd learn ::) So no Redoaks, it's not common sense, good work habits is what I would call it. Even if the MagicMan was giving a lesson, I'd come to hear it ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Tronvik

Thanks Magic for the lesson I did not think of the safety and rust issue. I do rest the head on the bed to relieve the up down chain. Ten years of running woodmizers and still a lot to learn.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Magicman

Nope, I did not finish today, so I'll just take another day off tomorrow.   :)  Monday has not been touched yet.   :)

francismilker

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2013, 01:43:59 PM
I believe that we are discussing commonsense shutdown procedures ROL, so I doubt that you are missing anything. 

In the OP, my helper was questioning me about why I took the time to clean up and put up "knowing" that we would be back the next morning and just have to drag it all back out before we could begin work.  I have read where some sawyers even leave the blade on the sawmill overnight.  Not me.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone test driving your mill after you leave for the evening to give sawing a whirl.  I've never heard of anyone taking the blade off at night for blade or mill protection.  Of course, I've only been on FF a few months and I'm learning new tricks everday!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

drobertson

uncheduled day off means more work to me, the owner of R7 tooling called and gave me the day off, he is buying another lathe today, picking up tomorrow, more moving in the morning, then production following, the cedar will have to get fit in along with the rest of the firewood.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

I generally try to leave the head up some if I'm not going to be moving the saw just in case of battery problems. You can't access the battery with the head all the way down.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kensfarm

I think the old saying of "out of sight.. out of mind.."  is always sound advice.  I put all my equipment up at the end of the day too.. it's just part of taking care of the equipment.

I've really been enjoying reading about all the experience everyone shares.. I just opened my 2nd box of blades last weekend.. I've been sawing every weekend since my Nov. delivery.. 2 weeks over the holidays.. I can't get enougth.   ;D 

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on January 24, 2013, 11:43:31 PM
I generally try to leave the head up some if I'm not going to be moving the saw just in case of battery problems. You can't access the battery with the head all the way down.

I can remove my battery box cover with the saw head all the way down.

It's kind of a tight area, but I can do it!

rmack

Well, that's news to me.

It's not even 7:00 oclock, and I already learned something  8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

thecfarm

You must be on the South end of the time zone too. I have almost 9.  :D

Magicman

I have another "Unscheduled Day Off" today, so time doesn't matter.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2013, 09:29:51 AM
I have another "Unscheduled Day Off" today, so time doesn't matter.   :D
So this explains why you're on-line so much.  ;D
I'm off today too......sleet coming down with the wind blowing. Got a fire in the fireplace, cup of coffee, old western on T.V. and my laptop.
Phone has rang 7 times this morning about lumber.

Left Coast Chris

MM --  good discussion.   Thanks for the tips.   My mill is stationary so I never take the blade off at the end of the day.  What little rust I get has not seemed to be a problem over the years as it appears to clean itself up on the next cut.   If you are sawing stationary at your place do you remove the blade?    Releasing tension is another good discussion.  I have not had any issues by leaving the tension for long periods of time since mine is manual with no hydraulic tensioner.   It would be good to see what an operation such as Bibbys does for  comparison.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

Personally, I never, ever leave a blade on overnight anywhere.  It does not take but a very few minutes to remove it, plus I want clean B57's at the beginning of a saw day.

I relieve the tension on my hydraulic tensioner when I stop for lunch.  Just my way of doing things.   :)

bama20a

My son would leave his tools out at the end of the day(not sawmilling) till one morning when he returned they wasn't there,Lesson learned.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Tree Feller

I always pick up my tools and tidy up at the end of the day, even inside my woodshop. However, it would have never occurred to me to remove the band fom my mill unless it was dull. Release the tension...sure. Take it off...I don't think so.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

blackfoot griz

When I was a little kid, my mom asked me if I was hungry (I was) and she started making  make me some lunch.
She told me to go upstairs and make my bed  and tidy up my room first.  I said, "why should I have to make my bed and clean up my room if I'm just going to mess it up again"

She glared at me for the longest while, put all of the lunch fixins away as I watched and said "why bother eating, you're just going to get hungry again".  I went without lunch that day, but never had a problem cleaning up my room after that.

Thank You Sponsors!