iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Need a New Saw

Started by Joe, April 01, 2004, 04:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

A big Hello from the Bluegrass state!  I need a new saw for trimming trees and cutting firewood.  My budget will only allow $350.00 for this item.  I have my eye on a Husqvarna 55 Rancher.  I have also looked at the Husky 350 and don't really know the differences.  A friend told me to look at the Stihl 260 & 270's.  Not sure of the differences between the models let alone Brands.  Does anyone have any advice?
Joe Kentucky

SasquatchMan

Hey Joe welcome aboard.

I just bought a not-too-expensive firewood saw too.  Everyone here will tell you to buy a Husky 372xp no matter what, but if you have a budget, then that 55r (or 353, the "new improved" saw in the same category) is a good choice.  The 55r has a rep for durability and fixability.  The newer styled saws have better air filtration and better anti-vibe setups, apparently, but the 55 is the top seller around here.

I opted for a Stihl 290, because I wanted a 50cc plus saw, and the 260 was small and more expensive.  It's a small "pro" model, where the 290 is more of a hobbyist kind of saw.  The 290 is a heavy unit at some 13 lbs, but it cuts pretty good for the buck.

If I was doing it again, I would probably buy a 55r or maybe a Dolmar/Makita, and buy a slightly lighter machine than I did.  

One thing I really do like is Stihl's "master control" lever which is much easier than the other brands if a guy has winter weight gloves on.

Good luck.  Buy from a dealer you trust, and you'll have no problems whichever saw you decide on.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Mark M

Howdy Joe

It's a little higher than your budget at about $400 but the Husky 346XP is a real dandy. That is one I would like to have. I have a 345 and it is a nice saw but the 346 is built a little better and screams at almost 15,000 rpms.

Mark

Tree_Frog

The young man gave you very good advice with his reply.I have Husky and stihl. You can' t go wrong with either make of saw. 028AV ---MS360---015AV  Stihl. Husky is old big boy 3120xp. I favor the 360 but use th 028 more in sawing wood

Tree Frog

Duane_Moore

8)Welcome Joe.  these guys can help ya better then me. gots both brands. like the Husky little better, better balance, better rpm. think the Rancher is a good saw. Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

oldsaw-addict

the Husky 55 Rancher has a reputation for being INDESTRUCTIBLE unlike most saws out there like the little poulan and new mcculloch saws which would die in my hands in seconds,  the 55 rancher would probably last me years at least. I recommend it for your needs as it is a quality saw with a great track record and a decent price.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Oregon_Rob

I vote for the 346xp, you can get them for $350 delivered, if you know where to look :o
Oh yeah, look at the weight difference between the 55r and the 346.
Chainsaw Nerd

Mark M

Yep, Rob's right. CCD has them for $365 and I think Southwest Fastner is even cheaper.

Oregon_Rob

Chainsaw Nerd

Joe

Let me say THANKS to all of you who took the time to advise me on this purchase.  I decided to buy the Husqvarna 346xp from Alamia.com, and it only cost  $337.00 including shipping.  I hope it lives up to my expections.  

Once again thank you for your help.

Joe
Joe Kentucky

Mark M

That's a good buy Joe. Let us know how it works.

Mark

oldsaw-addict

If the 346XP doesnt live up to your expectations, its not a HUSKY. Hope it serves you well in the years to come.

SasquatchMan

Boy some guys don't fool around.  Good choice Joe.  Apparently the only concern with those saws is not boggin em down... keep the revs up and the cutting is supposed to be amazing.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

oldsaw-addict

If you wait till the warranty is up and you have the extra $ then I would advise having Dozer Dan Henry do some work on your saw for you. He can make it a real SCREAMER from what I understand. In my semi-vast knowledge of chainsaws, Dan can make just about any good saw a real performer with high and low end power/torque.I know this is true if you open up the muffler on your saw, which while under warranty would void the warranty if I'm right, but after the warranty period you should have Dan power port your saw for you, it'll cost a couple hundred $ but its worth it because what he does makes a saw run better and last a few years longer, which = less $ spent on a new saw every so many years due to the old one wearing out on you. Oh I almost forgot to mention that after having a saw modified theres the grin factor too, that is the grin that you cant stop from spreading across your face when you first try your saw after having it modded. Good luck with your new saw.

jokers

Quote....Oh I almost forgot to mention that after having a saw modified theres the grin factor too, that is the grin that you cant stop from spreading across your face when you first try your saw after having it modded....

Yeah, the grin factor  ;D.  Got my Dan Henry 346 yesterday and she`s got some extra jam. Could end up being my favorite saw!

Russ

Joe

Hey Folks,
Because I'm not really using a saw that often,  I'm not sure about hot-rodding one.  I believe the warrenty is good for a couple of years, however should the saw need work afterward I might be interested in the mods.  Who is this Dozer Dan and how do I contact him?

Joe
Joe Kentucky

rahtreelimbs

Quote Who is this Dozer Dan and how do I contact him?

Joe

This is his e-mail: Dozerdan@sunlink.net

You will find that Dan is a great guy to deal with. His work is real good, he a stand up guy!

I know, I have 3 saws that he did for me.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

dozerdan

Russ
 Wait until you run about 6 or 7 tanks of fuel in that little PP346XPG and tell us how you like it. It is still on the tight side. If that turns into your favorite saw, that is saying something because I know that you have a lot of different saws.

Joe
 I think that Dozer Dan guy is some moron that lives in the hills in Pa. LOL
 Later
 Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

tony_marks

yep i can verify that about dan.. swaped me a 372 pp saw that is
 my best. for,[ get this] a  budwiser  and some pretzels when he gets dn this way. :D :)..  u will probably be inlove with u 346 xp
2 yrs dn the rd.. but having it power ported will give u somethin to look forward to.. if russ says he thinks it mite turn out to be his favorite saw ,,that takes in a lotto territory.. rus has surprised me with the vast amount of knowledge he has about saws .. then he gets dan to soup one up for him. thats a statement in its self.
 good luck w u 346xp

Thank You Sponsors!