iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best bandsaw to get for resawing?

Started by oakiemac, January 22, 2013, 11:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Lookiing at upper end bandsaws for mainly resawing. Grizzly has 18" 3hp for around $1800. I have heard good things about laguana as well. Since I mainly am going to resaw with it, I was wondering what the min. size and features that I should be looking for. ???
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

T Welsh

mac, I think HP is going to be your friend on resawing! I think the throat size,HP and $ are your main concerns. I make all my resaw jigs so fancy gadgets as in fences and slides really do not matter.When I bought my bandsaw I took a burl with me and once I picked the model I tested it out and came home with a smile on my face! Tim

TreeWinder

I have the Laguna 14x14  3hp 230v  1" blade with 14" resaw capability.  Really enjoy working with a quality tool. No problems resawing hard maple.  Go for the most HP if resaw is you primary use.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

Axe Handle Hound

My bandsaw is only a Grizzly 14" so I don't do a lot of resawing, but I'll say that you probably can't go wrong with either of your choices.  Blade selection will be a major deciding factor in how pleased you are with your choice so definitely don't skimp on your band no matter which saw you end up picking.   

Tree Feller

All of the Italian-made bandsaws, Laguna, Agazzani, Mini-Max are highly touted...highly priced, too. The Grizzly saws are nearly as good at a much lower price. I would get the biggest Grizzly saw that fit my budget and then put a carbide-tipped resaw blade on it.

Even my 17" Grizzly GO513 will resaw 12" hardwood into 1/16" veneer.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

oakiemac

I noticed the laguana's are much more expensive. Not sure if they are worth the extra coins. I'm thinking 3hp but might consider a 5hp but there seems to be a huge price difference between the two.
Also I've considered buying an older band saw like an Oliver or Powermatic that have big tables and 5hp motors but just looking at the pictures I don't see a bar for the resaw fence so I'm not sure if they made the older saws to have fences.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Clark

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on January 23, 2013, 08:13:05 AM
Blade selection will be a major deciding factor in how pleased you are with your choice so definitely don't skimp on your band no matter which saw you end up picking.   

After going through some resawing difficulties myself I couldn't agree with AHH's advice more.  The band itself will make a huge difference in how well you can resaw.  I also watched a band sawing video by Mark Duginske.  I was shocked to see him using 14" Craftsman bandsaws for most of his work!  It does make me wonder if we really need what we think we need.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!