iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HD gas to electric conversion

Started by WoodenHead, January 22, 2013, 10:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I'm looking at selling my LT28 and buying a LT40HD (standard hydraulic) that is a couple years old.  Someday I would like an electric, but right now all I can afford is a LT40HD (no factory options for electric unless it is a super).  I was wondering if anyone had converted a standard hydraulic to electric.  If so, what size motor are you running?

drobertson

I know there are a few, and you can get by with a 15hp 3 ph. 25hp would be ideal,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Harpgl

I sell electric motors for a living 1/2 to 10,000 HP, if you need help feel free to get in touch.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer mills have been converted from engine to electric motor and back many times.   They probably have a kit available.

If you shop around you may find someone that has converted an electric mill to engine and would have all the parts.

Question; Why not look for a used LT40 Super electric mill?   There are usually a number on the market at a good price.  Probably no more than buying a used LT40 standard hydraulic and then converting it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WoodenHead

Thanks guys!

Bibbyman: 

I have actually been looking for an electric super.  Right now they just seem to be a bit out of my price range (unless I want either a pre-97' or high hour machine).  At the moment a gas or diesel would slide right into my setup.  An electric would take some more effort, since I am running a 25kW genset.  At the other end of my property I have single phase utility service, but no buildings aside from an 8'x12' shed.  (It's a long story how things ended up this way.)

The other side of the coin is that I may have to explore being more mobile.  So I would like to keep all options on the table depending on how things go.  I'm just not sure a standard hydraulic LT40 head could bear a 25HP electric motor.

JFarmer

Woodenhead, I have a 2002 LT 40 standard hydraulic that I converted over to electric. I put a 25hp motor on it and it handles it really well. Not only is it cheaper to operate but it will saw circles around the kubota I had on it. Hope this helps.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

ElectricAl

WoodenHead,

Back in the early days WM made a 15 hp Three Phase conversion kit for the Standard LT40HD.

This kit was made to replace the Onan 24 hp gas.  The onan 24 was on the 1991 through the 1995 I think.

We have that kit on our 1993.

The kit comes with an adaptor plate. So if you find another Standard mill with a different gas engine the adaptor plate can be drilled to match the other gas engine bolt pattern.

By the way, current 25 hp electric motors from WM are twice the weight of the Baldor 15 hp that WM use to supply. 

The 15 hp electric is similar to a 30 hp gas engine.

When you are ready to go electric call Rick Lauman @ WM Indy  800-525-8100.
Have him pull up the 1993 LT40HDE15 parts list.  Most likely the kit is not an in stock item.
However WM does have all the Blue Prints and can whip up a kit in a couple weeks.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Thank You Sponsors!