iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

23 vanguard for lt40?

Started by mmartone, January 22, 2013, 09:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I am trying to decide which engine I should put on this old 86 LT40. The small block vanguard goes up to 23hp, is it enough? I know the mill came with a 20 onan on it. I see the newer lt40's have 28hp on them, but the 28 is a larger, heavier engine. Also what id the proper engine pulley diameter please?
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Peter Drouin

call woodmizer and ask them about the 28hp, if it was me I would go with the 28 hp, good luck,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tronvik

Woodmizer has a kit for a Kohler 18hp or a 25hp. I put a Kohler 18hp on my 84 lt30. After all the work to refit the mill and throttle linkage, next time I will buy their kit. If you can sell the onan(whole or part it out) I hear they worth the effort to list. Good luck
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Tronvik

Just saw the pulley question. I reused the old pulley with a new sheave, my thoughts were to keep the same blade speed. I have a friend with a lt30 that used the same engine and increased the engine pulley to cut faster ???
1984 lt30, john deere 750

MartyParsons

Hello,
There were some design changes in 1996 LT30 LT40 mills. The cam bearings on the main frame were change location for increased engine weight and other design changes. Some owners have installed larger engines on the early WM without an issue but you may see an increased frame wear at bearing location, up down chain failure and some other issues.
It is important to keep band speed close to original. This term is Surface Feet per Min or SFM. In tough wood frozen wood and other it may be better to have a lower SFM.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

mmartone

Since my mill was modified with an 4a084 and not well. I pulled the motor off the other day after looking at all the custom work and decided to see if it could be repaired. I cut off the custom welded on pieces with a wheel and cleaned up the original mounting plate. I had decided to go back with a more proper engine but now you guys have me beyond my funds limit for a 28!

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Chuck White

I have an Onan 24hp on my mill now.

No trouble with it, other than a couple of years ago, the fuel pump went up, so now I have an after-market fp on it.

Engine runs nice.

Thinking about putting a new Kohler 25hp on it within the next couple of years, for both noise and economy.  Besides, I should be able to market the Onan.

E-Mailed Wood-Mizer a few days ago and they said for my year model mill, they only have the K-25hp engine as a direct swap.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

MM, I replaced the 18 hp briggs on my 95 mill with a 25 hp liquid cooled kawasaki.  Scrouged off a cub cadet lawn tractor. Weight is actually a few pounds lighter. Easy swap, I was back up sawing the next day.. I now own a kawmizer  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

millstead

i put a 23hp vanguard on my lt30 and i am very happy with it i changed the pulley and made the blade a little faster it cuts great my mill really cuts fast now

mmartone

I spoke with Woodmizer today and they told me the only thing they had to go on my mill was a 20. Thats not what I wanted to hear! I am still contemplating the 23 since it is lighter and less expensive than the big block vanguards. I wish I knew how this mill cut with the 20 on it to determine if the 23 would be enough... Thanks for your help guys, sure will like to have the mill back up and running.

Thank You Sponsors!