iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lake Huron

Started by doctorb, January 21, 2013, 09:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

OK.  It's a cold night and the OWB is stoked, so I thought I would start a fireside chat about the outdoors.  There are 5 Great Lakes and each has their own "personality" in my head.  Ontario has Toronto and feeds the 1000 Islands.   Erie has Cleveland and fills Niagara Falls. Michigan is an elongated tear drop, and hosts Chicago and Milwaukee.  Superior has mystery, wilderness, Gordon Lightfoot, and a far-away feel.  But what does Lake Huron have?  Is it the forgotten Great Lake?  Teach me.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Lake Huron has some of the best walleye fishing in the world. It also ends to the south in Lake St. Clare, probably the best Musky fishery anywhere in the world. To the north end of the lake, you will find Drumond Island, a sportsman's paradise where it is guarded by dozens of other Islands. The north end is also the beginning of the St Marys river, Actually just a long Narrowing of the lake. This leads to the Soo Locks.

The west shore and much of the north shore has beautiful sand beaches.  I know nothing about the Canadian side of the lake.  Come spend a couple days with me at the cabin after the pig roast this year, and you will probably be enchanted by the north end of Huron like I am. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SPIKER

Doc:

Huron is a pretty nice lake, I was on it for a couple months back in the late 80's while in Air Force (Wortshsmyth AFB) forget the spelling of it.   It is a lot like Lake Erie in that it is shallower than Superior, Michigan and Ontario.  It has very good fishing and has good water quality.    I fish Erie a LOT in the 90's catching great Walleye, Small-Mouth and Yellow Perch.   Fished a lot of it's tributaries as well Huron River, & Black River up quite a ways in Bass Boats for Large & Small mouth bass.   

I fished Huron for Walleye, Perch Steelies etc. but all were harder to get and missed the main run when I was up there.

One of my Air Force buddies was from upper west on Michigan as a cert welder/diver he loved the area as a few hours could hit Michigan or Superior.   Not sure on the roads though as the trucks IN Michigan sure make a mess of the roads...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Axe Handle Hound

I do know it shares "Big Mack" (the Mackinaw Bridge) with Lake Michigan and leads to the locks in Sault Ste. Marie as well, but otherwise my knowledge on that particular lake is sadly lacking.

Ron Scott

Also Mackinaw Island, one of the seven wonders of the world.; the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater Preserve, many shipwrecks, and Saginaw Bay's popular fishery and waterfowl hunting areas.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!