iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-classic 230 solenoid OMS measurment? using a multimeter?

Started by Logging logginglogging, January 21, 2013, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

How can I test my solenoids using a Multimeter? I have had the fire ie out twice now i 2 daysand I think a solonoid went.

stumper

When mine went it blew the fuse.  I would not even try to test one with a multimeter.  I suggest just inspecting for function.  Open the back up and then adjust your temp until the unit calls for heat (fire).  Then see if your selonoids open.  I would then bump the temp again till the unit called for high burn, and check that the next selenoid opens.

Could you provide some more details?  What was the temp out, heat load, age of boiler, controller type, pulse setting, paper clip, wood type being burnt, ect....

My first thought would be needing to install a bigger paper clip, a pulse kit or adjust the pulse setting.  I had issues with my fire going out even with the paper clip in the shoulder seasons when I had low heat demand and was burning less then ideal wood.  I solved the issue with the pulse kit (my boiler is has the older controller).

Logging logginglogging

went out because power went out.... I dident relize that because I wasent home.

boilerman101

You can ohm out a solenoid with a multimeter. If bad it will probably ohm out at 1.
If solenoid is bad it will usually blow the fuse.

Logging logginglogging

stumper

proximate to the switch on the side of the box in back.  You will want to locate it and get some spares.

boilerman101

Yup, a 5 amp tube style fuse by your main power switch.

Logging logginglogging

Oh, OK ill look, its funny I never noticed them before.
The typical stove wiring dosent come with a Chasis ground. I didnt like that since it was outside so I also added a chassis ground to mine when i wired it up.

Thank You Sponsors!