iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slabbing red oak yard tree, lots of metal.

Started by fishpharmer, January 20, 2013, 10:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Fish, where's your middle stabilizer post?  It would cut down quite a bit on that wiggle.  If it's on the right side, try planting it on the left.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

zombie woods

Wish I had kept a collection of all the tramp junk Ive hit over the years ,
hundreds of nails many hundreds .
a hubcap was my favorite a Coke bottle was most perplexing ,
cut nails wipe the teeth right off the band and more recently those hard black dry wall screws are showing up .

found a nice diamond ring in a hollow once , still looking for that mahogany log full of spanish gold .

sigidi

Hey Fish, fantastic work mate, don't ya just love big ol logs with the slabber  ;D ;) 8)

I bet the sleep you have for the next few days will be helped with the knowledge you did a solid by the log owner on this job, with knowing there was metal and still going for it - giving 'em some great bits of timber to remember a whole heap of family memories with - what a great job we have  ;)

Quote from: nomad on January 29, 2013, 06:39:16 PM
     Fish, where's your middle stabilizer post?  It would cut down quite a bit on that wiggle.  If it's on the right side, try planting it on the left.

Nomad, I may be wrong, but the rail wobble seemed to be just as Fish was starting the cut, sometimes I've had a freshly sharpened chain that slides around like that just until it gets the right feed rate on it, then it settles down for the rest of the cut. Seemed like that happened in the vid, but then again James did shove his left hand over to the side and it stopped around that time too.

James did ya find that pushing on the left side of the carriage helped in reducing any side wobble during this log?
Always willing to help - Allan

Nomad

Quote from: sigidi on January 30, 2013, 04:38:36 PM
Hey Fish, fantastic work mate, don't ya just love big ol logs with the slabber  ;D ;) 8)

I bet the sleep you have for the next few days will be helped with the knowledge you did a solid by the log owner on this job, with knowing there was metal and still going for it - giving 'em some great bits of timber to remember a whole heap of family memories with - what a great job we have  ;)

Quote from: nomad on January 29, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

Nomad, I may be wrong, but the rail wobble seemed to be just as Fish was starting the cut, sometimes I've had a freshly sharpened chain that slides around like that just until it gets the right feed rate on it, then it settles down for the rest of the cut. Seemed like that happened in the vid, but then again James did shove his left hand over to the side and it stopped around that time too.

James did ya find that pushing on the left side of the carriage helped in reducing any side wobble during this log?

James did a great job finishing that log even when he'd hit metal.  And I agree that he's made something the family will have the opportunity to treasure forever!
     Personally, (and Alan I'm not in your league with a Lucas!) I prefer to have the braces on the left side, pushing against the chain forces instead of pulling against them.  It does seem like holding the left side helped quite a bit.  I've never tried that, but might have to! 
     Regardless.  Fish, ya done real good 8)
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishpharmer

Thanks for all the input.  Nomad,  good observation about side support being left off.  I was concerned about stability, yet it would have been in the way of the front end loader removing slabs.  The rocking was minimized by pressing sawhead to the right.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Nomad

Quote from: fishpharmer on February 01, 2013, 05:39:01 AM
Thanks for all the input.  Nomad,  good observation about side support being left off.  I was concerned about stability, yet it would have been in the way of the front end loader removing slabs.  The rocking was minimized by pressing sawhead to the right.

Ah.  Makes sense.  In any event, looks like leaning on the left beam and pressing the head to the right did okay.  Good Job!
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

I am starting to sweat just watching this. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Last pic from this project, log owner sent pic to me...

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

I am tempted to recommend more and thicker stickers.  Any other advice You thing I should pass along to owner?

beenthere

Your advice for thicker stickers might be good.
They look pretty thin in the picture, but without knowing more about the drying conditions, best not contribute.
I'd have to assume this isn't his final drying stack, and it will be built with better support, uniform stickers, with uniform spacing, better roof, and some drying samples to keep track of what is happening.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Not knowing the stickness of the spacers in this case.... 

Danny, would the would stick slabs need a good air flow so to not have mushroom growth?
Also is a tin roof be better then a tarp that would cover the sides and prevent air flow... Just asking as I have no knowledge of how it is done in the south with the heat you guys get.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sprucegum

Presenting the customer with a bundle of the right size stickers would be a nice touch....and maybe a chance to educate him if he needs it.

scully

I would do that type of job anyday mettal or not ! Just let the customer know if I trash a blade or 3 that will be added to the bill! There is still a lot of value in the end result !
I bleed orange  .

WDH

Marcell,

thick oak has to dry slow and don't seem to attract the mushrooms.  I think that tin is superior to tarps.

JSwigga

he should use proper stickers and anchor seal the ends.  Hopefully that will cut down on checking.    I found that a little bit of down pressure while your slabbing will cut down on wobble.  Mine always wobbles with freshly sharpened chains.  When they dull down a bit it seems to run smoother. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

swampbuggy

James, Glad you got out sawing again. Sorry I wasn't around to help! Looks like a fun job, metal and all!  Swamp
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Thank You Sponsors!