iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A few mushrooms and views from a Mendocino county timber cruise.

Started by ashes, January 20, 2013, 10:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashes

As some of you know, i am a forestry student at Humboldt State University, and since it is our winter break I had the chance to go down to Mendocino County to cruise timber for a few days as a job interview. The trip was a lot of fun, and I am sore from the hiking that took place. The terrain was pretty rugged for hiking, but I made it ;). The weather could not have been better although it was pretty chilly in the morning on the quad ride out.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of some mushrooms and other things that I thought were cool. I didn't have too much time to take pictures, but a couple were too good to pass up.

Oh, and the picture of the tree that is spiraling up into the canopy was a madrone that was competing with a very mature coast redwood (~50" dbh) and a very mature douglas-fir (~40" dbh). All three were dominant in the canopy, but were all right by each other. Very cool stuff (well to me anyways) :D

WDH

There are some very interesting sights to see when cruising timber as long as it is not thick with gallberry and greenbriar  :D.  That looks like some beautiful country!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thenorthman

I'm not sure what the best part of logging is, the scenery, the trees crashing, the big equipment, the constant challenge, or just plane being out in the woods and getting paid for it...

Sometimes wonder if the clearcut was started just so we could get a better veiw...
well that didn't work

ashes

Well from the looks of this area, they were looking for a lot of view about 30-50 years ago. :D

We did find ourselves in a plot that was on the far boundary and across a creek that held some really large trees. Probably was too much work to get them out and across the creek. Needless to say we sat there and had lunch, and generally enjoyed the setting. :)

lowpolyjoe

SPIKER

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!