iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What octane do you use?

Started by JuniperBoss, January 20, 2013, 09:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniperBoss

Myself, my dad, and our neighbor always used 87 octane (regular unleaded) gasoline in our chainsaws. What do you use?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

thecfarm

91?? The most I can get at a regular gas station. I try to only buy the highest grade for all my small engines. I burn the cheap stuff in a $10,000 car and use the best stuff in a $600 chainsaw,$1500 splitter and so on.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

110!!!! We go through 60,000 plus gallons of diesel fuel per year, as well as propane and fuel oil for the tenant houses, so Crystal Flash here in Mi gives us a free drum of leaded racing fuel for our pulling tractors. We don't even use half of it anymore, so the saws have been getting a treat for quite some time now. They don't seem to run any better, but it's free and there's no alcohol in it. They sure smell more powerful though! 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Charles Barnes Sr

91 or better. Just been the rule of thumb since I have owned saws.
Baptist Pastor trying to make ends meet logging.
76 IH S8 Cable skidder
Husky 55
Husky 372XP

cuterz

clww

Anything without the ethanol "wonder" additive. >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JuniperBoss

Is there danger in running 87 octane? I know the manuel says to run 89+ but can it really hurt it?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

thecfarm

It's only a little more for 5 gallons,not even a dollar. I'm not taking any chances. what the old saying,trip over a dollar trying to save a dime. I go through quite a bit of gas in a week too. I just feel it runs better. It's all in my head,but something has to be in there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

torqueporting

I run 93 octane with my saws running between 180 to 200 psi compression. Over 93 octane isn't needed for work saws.  With stock compression and an average chain I doubt much difference will be seen between 87 to 93 octane. Heat the saw up and I would expect 87 to possibly detonate, which is bad.

To play it safe I would run 89 or better.

JohnW

100 LL, my saw is tuned for it.

JohnG28

I run 91 or whatever is highest. Around here high test recently became ethanol free at some stations, so that's a plus too. Everything but the car gets it, I don't go through a lot of small engine fuel so cheap insurance for me.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

thecfarm

NY is not that far from me, Was it a big name gas station? I would like to get the e free,but not about to run all over the place to get it. E free might be coming North.

Al_Smith

I'm not so certain leaded gas has any effect on a two cycle engine .Even back in the day for example on McCulloch go kart racing engines they recommended what was called "White Gas " which was Coleman lantern fuel which had no lead in it .

I personally use hi test whatever the so called octane rating is 91-92 .Weather it makes a difference or not is anyones guess .At 2 gallons at a time the extra 20 cents certainly is not going to send me to the poor house .

Some babble on about running Cam II or aviation fuel and if it makes them feel better go for it .This is one of those subjects akin to the oil wars I think .--look out here they come -- 8)

thecfarm

Did someone mention blade lube??  :D

Al_Smith

:D Not yet but they like to argue that too .From synthetic to used crankcase black oil ,yuck .

AdkStihl

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 20, 2013, 10:18:37 PM
Is there danger in running 87 octane? I know the manuel says to run 89+ but can it really hurt it?

87 is fine, dont let anyone out there tell you any different.
Matter of fact....I prefer 87 over the others.
87 cycles through your service station many times faster than the other grades.
J.Miller Photography

Dave VH

10 years ago my stihl dealer told me 87 octane, now they say 93.  I have always run 93 in everything else small engine, now I run 93 in my saws too.  It might be a false sense of securtiy, but I think that it keeps my carbs cleaner.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

AdkStihl

Quote from: Dave VH on January 21, 2013, 09:34:33 AM
I think that it keeps my carbs cleaner.

How would octane rating keep your carbs cleaner?
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Aha sports fans another great debate is on the horizon and you saw it first right here . A milestone in the annals of internet forums .Let the games begin on the subject of "clean gasoline " as oppossed to dirty money derived from same . ;D

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 21, 2013, 10:25:47 AM
Aha sports fans another great debate is on the horizon and you saw it first right here . A milestone in the annals of internet forums .Let the games begin on the subject of "clean gasoline " as oppossed to dirty money derived from same . ;D

:D..........you crack me up Al........ :)

;)
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

Quote from: thecfarm on January 21, 2013, 07:34:26 AM
NY is not that far from me, Was it a big name gas station? I would like to get the e free,but not about to run all over the place to get it. E free might be coming North.
/

Thecfarm, around here the stations are called Fastrac. I'm not sure who they get their gas from though. I noticed it on puregas.org one day and checked for myself. Added a few stations myself too. Nice to have somewhere close, plus I didn't make a habbit of stopping there before this because it wasn't the closest, but only about 5 extra mins. This was the first place I've found local in a long time.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

I think the closest "pure gas "business is to me is around 85 miles  the lake Erie shore line .I suppose if it really bothered me I could buy Cam II or Av gas closer .Since it doesn't worry me all that much I'll just save my money and rebuild carbs every so often because I've became rather good at it .Lots of practice .BTW I can buy Cam II about 3 miles from where I live if I wanted to .

Hmm wonder what that stuff would do in a weed wacker with a souped engine and a tuned pipe .Probabley blow my eardrums out and cause the neighbors to get hatey more than likely .

thecfarm

Fastrac I guess is only in your area. Never know,thought i would ask. thank you.
Now back to the great debate,whatever it is,oil,gas or lube.  :D

JohnG28

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I imagine the very large boat and snowmobile industry in NY may have something to do with it, but that's just a guess. Last year was when it appeared in my area, only place before that was in Inlet, NY, or about 60 miles away. Not making that drive. As for the wars, I'm out!  ;D

Dave VH

Quote from: AdkStihl on January 21, 2013, 10:14:06 AM
Quote from: Dave VH on January 21, 2013, 09:34:33 AM
I think that it keeps my carbs cleaner.

How would octane rating keep your carbs cleaner?

I never said that I knew what I was talking about.  I just thought that it would leave less residue in the carbs, like I said, a false sense of security.
  For now I quess that I will keep buying my 93 octane and be happy in my ignorance.

if there is a reason that I'm wrong, please tell me, cause I really don't know
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!