iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore b&b siding?

Started by Nvfd3052, January 20, 2013, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nvfd3052

I need to put siding on a garage I built a few months ago, and I have a bunch of sycamore trees begging me to cut them up, how well would that work? I know that sycamore moves a lot when dryed, how would it do put up green for b&b siding? Will it pull all the nales out, split, and turn into pretzels?
Woodmizer LT35HDD18 diesel
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax
And a wife that loves me!

beenthere

Put screws in. They won't pull out, and also screw the boards with two near the center (about 1 " apart), and let the screwed dosn battens hold the board edges down. Lets the boards move as they dry.
Replace any real bad actors.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LeeB

Paint as soon as MC reaches 20%.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kelLOGg

IMO, quartersaw the sycamore, sell it to woodworkers (it has beauitiful QS patterns), buy pine (or something else less dramatic then syc.), pocket the difference and side your B&B.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Jay C. White Cloud

Beenthere's advice is spot on. A lot of old barns we've done don't have a nail in the big board, just the batten.  If you do it remember, "bark side out," on boards for sure; battens aren't as critical, but I know I would get yelled at if I didn't do it.  As for painting, I would never paint wood, especially outside, unless it is with a traditional lime or casein paint.  If you want color, use as staining oil.  I would consider selling the sycamore, as KelLOGg suggested, it might be more advantageous.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

fishpimp

Not to hijack this thread but I have tons of sycamore . I've heard qs it will knock ur eyes out but my question is "what about sunken sycamore"?
Does the log being underwater change the color or what?

Nvfd3052

Thanks everybody. Jay, what do you mean bark side out, I am still a little too wet behind the ears  ???
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax

WDH

Sycamore definitely would not be a top choice for outdoor siding in my experience.  Sycamore boards, especially flatsawn ones, can behave very badly, twisting and warping.  I would prefer a wood that does not have spiral grain.  Let us know how it works out.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Quotewhat do you mean bark side out

For most boards, there is a side toward the pith center of the log, and the other towards the bark. That latter is the bark side. Has to do with the boards tendancy to cup when it dries.

And WDH has a good caution for this species as siding boards.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nvfd3052

Thanks everybody, I am going to give it a try. If it don't work out it will just be an excuse to mill up some different lumber and try again.
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi,

I was away for a short bit,  looks like you got good warnings, your questions answered and your on you way.  Let us known what happens.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!