iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The '66 John Deere mower and a long journey

Started by SwampDonkey, April 01, 2004, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Apparently, the movie called "The Straight Story" (1999) with Sissey Spacek is a true story about an old man (Alvin Straight) who buys a '66 model John Deere tractor lawn mower and drives from Lorens, Iowa to Mnt Zion, Wisconsin to see his estranged, ailing brother. The original journey was in 1994. According to the movie, I saw last night, it took him 5 or 6 weeks to make the trip and he started in September. Burr, the evenings would be getting quite nippy in that kneck of the woods. The old guy had poor eye sight and needed two canes to walk. This was the reason for the lawn mower instead of a car, since he could not drive legally. From what I could gather from watching the movie these two brothers had some kind of squabble after the return home from WW-2 and barely spoke. In the movie when they finally met up, there was little dialoque as well. Just alot of star gazing and memories of the past. Its quite an adventure and worth a watch. Any of you folks out that way heard of this story?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

It was all over the news here in Iowa when the guy was driving across Iowa. I just got the soundtrack for the movie today from Amazon. I like the music. Although I've never seen the movie.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Kind of like the Terry Fox marithon for Cancer research  8)

Well, not quite, but I bet the old fart thought so by the time he stepped off that lawn mower in Wisconson. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

I've watched it.  Pretty good show too bad he didn't ride an IHC Cub Cadet.  Then it would have been a really good movie ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Corley:

He never would have made it on a Cadet, poor guy. :D  ;D ;)

Corley5

On an IHC Cadet he would have but not on an MTD one ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Mark M

I saw part of that movie a while back and liked it but didn't know its name. Thanks for posting it.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!