iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parts for M-14 Belsaw

Started by tgalbraith, January 20, 2013, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

Has  anyone out there managed to find a source for parts, for the Foley Belsaw M14?
In all my searching, I have not found any place to purchase them. I thought that when
a company went out of business,  they had some broker take over the replacement parts.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

loggah

Belsaw was bought out years ago by Timberking, maybe they have some spare parts left. i have 2 Belsaws and haven't needed any spare parts yet. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

What parts are needed??Belsaws are pretty simple almost anything could be made by a local metal worker. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tripp

Bought a small stash of parts from Timberking a couple of years ago. At that time they had quite an inventory. Not sure what they have left now.
I agree with Frank, most can be fabricated. What are you looking for?

Tripp

tgalbraith

I don't have any needs right now.  Some of the rollers for the carriage show some wear.
My main question was just to find out if a source of spare parts were available, if and when
I need some.
I also agree that most of the parts don't need a brain surgeon to produce them.
thanks for the feed-back

Will_Johnson

We stopped production on the M-14 in early 1998.

We have kept a few parts in stock but as demand has slackened this has meant our production runs got smaller which meant prices got a little crazy. We have a very limited remaining stock of parts.

Best bet is to send an email to service@timberking.com with a list of parts you need. I just suggest this versus calling because that will give us time to get together a list of what we do and don't have.

Best,

Will

tgalbraith

I contacted our TimberKing, and they DO have a good supply of Belsaw mill parts.
For all the M-14 owners, keep this in mind.

stihlsawer

Quote from: tgalbraith on January 22, 2013, 12:21:45 PM
I contacted our TimberKing, and they DO have a good supply of Belsaw mill parts.
For all the M-14 owners, keep this in mind.

I appreciate this as I will be the proud owner of a M-14 Friday. It needs some work, but for $200 dollars for complete carriage, mandrel, blade, drive system, etc. Just need to build leg stands and the frame out of 2X10s doubled up. Will make it towable in the future.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

scottmtfarm

I have a M-14 and love it.  The only thing I have replaced is a couple of sealed bearings.  They were easy to find a local industrial supply.  Mine runs off a tractor PTO.  I imagine the rollers could be welded up and turned true at a machine shop.  I have relpaced the feed belts on mine.  I used the kevlar mower belts and they work great.  There is a pdf of the manual for the sawmill for free online somewhere.  If you need it I can email it too you.

Justin@Wv

Quote from: scottmtfarm on March 12, 2013, 08:47:51 AM
There is a pdf of the manual for the sawmill for free online somewhere.  If you need it I can email it too you.
I would like to have a copy of that manual! If you don't care email it at justin.farrish@yahoo.com
"With these hands"

stihlsawer

Quote from: scottmtfarm on March 12, 2013, 08:47:51 AM
I have relpaced the feed belts on mine.  I used the kevlar mower belts and they work great.  There is a pdf of the manual for the sawmill for free online somewhere.  If you need it I can email it too you.

Could you email me a copy of the manual? I found other literature but didn't see the owner's manual. Thank you for your help and I will take your advise on the kevlar belts. What size of tractor are you using?

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

scottmtfarm

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1050

this is the link to the online manual.  If you have trouble opening it I have it saved on my home pc and will email it to you tonite.

I have sawed small pine using a John Deere B for power.  It does ok but sure does sound good with a straight stack.  The 2 cylinder is not the smoothest power but it saws.  I have a 263 Massey Ferguson I also use.  It does great sawing anything and is better on fuel.  I think it is around 55 HP.

stihlsawer

Thank you for the link. Here are some pics of the M14. Alot of fun work to do.
Happy Easter to everyone and have a blessed day.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4893

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Bibby
That's a classic.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Will_Johnson

Bibbyman you have been busy on youtube! As an interesting piece of video this is excellent. No one should ever use this as anything like instructions on "how it's done."

I think I counted at least 17 "do not try at home" moments here.

Aside from the obvious lack of guarding, if memory serves from the days when we made these mills you never embed the blade in the log like that: it always needs to be able to come out the top of the cut. Why not trim that flare with a chain saw? You never back through the cut like that. You always use a sharp blade. Etc etc.

I think I'm gonna have nightmares tonight...

beenthere

Will
Quoteyou never embed the blade in the log like that

Is this "never" specific to the Belsaw? Just wondering as have been around circle saw experts that haven't taken that stance.  Just wondering what is behind it with the Belsaw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: Will_Johnson on March 29, 2013, 04:13:19 PM
Bibbyman you have been busy on youtube! As an interesting piece of video this is excellent. No one should ever use this as anything like instructions on "how it's done."

I think I'm gonna have nightmares tonight...

There are a lot of videos on YouTube staring the Foley Bellsaw.  Most look like they are being ran by novice.   I suspect many of the old saws have been pulled out of the under brush on grandpa's farm and restored.  Many probably lack a mentor to show them the way.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Many sawyers got their start on a Belsaw mill,then graduated to the heavy iron.Although often done its not good form to burry the saw in a large log especially as most Belsaws are under powered and at a greater risk of hanging the saw.Belsaw was/is the "model T" of the sawmill industry. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!