iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jumping In

Started by Mountain State Farm, January 20, 2013, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain State Farm

Hi Gang,

Newbie jumping in here. I've been trolling for the last few months and decided to join. I have worked on circle mills off and on my entire life as a tail and grunt man until November. Bought a used Hudson HFE 36 manual. I wanted to go orange but the price was way too good on the red, no regrets yet. Since then I have cut about 5,000 bf mixed hard and soft with very good results thanks inpart to you guys.

When I brought the mill home, I scratched out a level spot on the ground, cut some ERC 6"x6"x4' for the deck and after some adjustment was sawing in a few hours. This spring I plan to pour concrete pillars for the bed and build a 12'x24' shed. The deck is 21' and the mill will handle 16' logs so I know the loading side of the shed needs to be at least 18' without any post. On the loading side I plan to use four post, two close together on each corner like this,   ..      .. I plan to corner brace the roof beam but we get heavy wet snow here and I am a little concerned about this long span in the middle. Would I be better off cutting one long timber or, laminating 2" stock for one long beam? I played with the beam calculator a bit but would like some additional input from "been there done that" kinda guys.

Dave.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

york

Albert

Jay C. White Cloud

Welcome aboard Mountain State Farm,  we like the Hudson we own.  It does our specialty milling work.  Post some sketches of your ideas.  I'm sure you will get all kinds of advice.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

tgalbraith

If you roof with tin and increase the pitch; you probably would eliminate most of the snow build-up.
If you are still worried, think about getting a basement post from your local hardware supply, and
using it on the long span.  Since these units have a screw adjustment at the top, it could be removed
when you are sawing.  Just a thought. -- good luck.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dave.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

dave, dave here, been there man, here is a pic of my shed in the early stages, not a close up but something to look at none the less,  3, 2X12's laminated with 1/2" ply, I did not run the numbers but the one who built it did, I trust him, no issues to date, several big wind storms and several dumps of ice and snow. 19'6" opening. 

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rooster 58

Another way to do it Dave is to use 24 ft. trusses. That way you can span almost 23 ft, or cut back to whatever you want. I would allow 4' more than the longest log you plan to saw. This would also give you more room if you upgrade to a longer mill. Also, you could make your building wider than 12' anytime you want very easily. I reccomend metal like the others, only make sure you use a vapor barrier underneath in the event you close your building in. You don't need a building that rains ;D

Magicman

Hello Dave, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mountain State Farm

Thanks for the warm welcome.
York, that link was great, lots of good looking sheds and great ideas.
Tgalbraith, I will use 5 V tin and I think I have one of those post you mentioned laying around somewhere.
drobertson, really nice looking shed, If I go that route I will laminate with plywood in the middle.
rooster 58, I see what you mean. I already have 10 12' trusses from a prefab 12'x20' shed and was just going to make a few more but I will give some thought to your idea. Would make expansion much easier for the future.

Thanks again, I've still got some time to think about it. Temps in single digits tonight. Burr.

fishpimp

I have been  planning a very similar idea as u hav. 12x24 for now . Been talkin to few builders tellin me how I can span the same distance.
I just realized that my rig is 26' long tho . Don't really wanna build it any larger. I'm figuring only thing I'm gonna have to buy is the salt treated post .

Mountain State Farm

Hi fishpimp, I plan to saw ERC 6"x6" for the post. I think my biggest cost will be tin roof and them screws.
I'm just getting tired of waiting on motor to cool then cover with a tarp. Good luck with yours, I'll post pics when I get started.

fishpimp

Hello to u. Seems we are on the same page. I thought about cedar poles myself but I can sell the cedar for more than I can buy salt treated. I kno exactly what ya mean bout the tarp .
I missed out work all last week due to the flooding of my area.
Even think I got a job sawing for metal roofing for a friends dad. Lol
I've got the saw. Got piles of logs. Jus dont hav the time and  i need the practice .
Do u have access to large red cedar where ur from?

Justin@Wv

Where abouts you at in southern Wv Dave?  Im in Jumping Branch!
Welome to the forum as well!
"With these hands"

Mountain State Farm

Fishpimp, You guys got the rain and we got over a foot of snow last week. Now it's melting and I can't get in the woods to log because the ground is soft. Fills up the bark with mud and makes big ruts. I pressure wash my logs first but takes alot of time when they are full. I like them barter jobs and roofing is a good commodity if it is in good shape.
I have 200 acres and about 100 nice cedars 16" and up on the place. Some fence line cedars also but I prefer deep woods cedar. Locust is the same way, big difference between a field locust and one grown in the woods. That is something getting harder to find, they seem to be dying here.
How bout you? Any big cedar or locust there?

Mountain State Farm

Ha Justin@Wv, Just across the river at Forest Hill. Thanks for the welcome. Small world.

Dave VH

welcome to the forum Dave

I'm a builder by trade in southern Michigan, so I understand snow loads.  Since your building is only 12' wide, you really aren't carring that much roof load.  Your dead load, (the weight of the material to build the roof system), should be about 20lb, and I'm sure that a 50lb live load, (the fluctuating weigh capacities), would take care of it.  but with 12' wide, you're technically dealing with an area 6' x 18' that you will be carring.  6x18=108sq ft x 70 (dead +live) = 7,560lbs of potential weight.  2 2x12s could carry, but would sag a good deal at full load, 3 would be better, or better yet, use lvl or steel i beam, that would be my first choice.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Mountain State Farm

Hi Dave VH, thanks for the welcome.

I don't know what "lvl" is but I do not want to use steel unless necessary. As mentioned by Drobertson earlier in this thread 3 2"x12" with plywood laminated sounds pretty sturdy to me. I don't want it to sag. I'm giving alot of thought to rooster 58's idea now and my Paslode will make short work of trusses. My garage had 19 24' trusses and I built them in less than 2 days.
I realized the actual load would be half the width and the length of the span but I had no idea the potential load would be so much. Thanks for doing the math. I have family in Flint and they do get big snows that stay till spring.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpimp

Mtn State Farm
U got me on the acreage , but I got a lot on my farm as well as my family and friends with a bunch. Yea they fence row reds but some are huge by my area standards! I used so much cedar in our house. Porch poles ,railing  , log stairs, 3k' of 1" boards for trim and so on and so on.
Thers not a lot of deep woods erc here. And if they were most of them would be on government property.giv me few and I try post some pics.

fishpimp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG FishPimp.........Gorgeous!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

There Poston,forgot about that throbbing finger for a second,huh???
WOW and another WOW. That makes me feel like cussing too. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mountain State Farm

Oh my, you are talented young fella.
I have made a few cedar gun cases and end tables but nothing like that.
I turn cedar on my lathe for Christmas gifts.
My wife has been asking me to build her a closet with cedar and your house has inspired me to start.
I have about 500 bf. I think I will be planing in the next few days.
Did you make the banister tendons with those bits that go in a drill? I don't know the name of them.
I love the live edge treads. Thanks for sharing.

Poston, sorry about your finger. Bet it only hurts half the time, when your heart beats. As a 20 year paramedic I have heated many a paper clip, the doc is right it works.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If ya'll don't make me feel good on one thread, you get me on another.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!