iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying Timberjack?

Started by nastcat, January 20, 2013, 05:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastcat

I have just purchased a skidder and I am trying to identify it. Any help will be appreciated. Here are some pics.

rick f

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like a franklin to me not a TJ.

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

loggah

I would say its some sort of small tree farmer, dont see center oscillation like a franklin would have. maybe an old C4.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

ClarkF66

Could it be an International? I'm no expert on IH, but the front, the cab, blade cylinder and the arch looks similar.

International S-8B, 1980

Bogue Chitto

I'm with Clark, that looks like a International.

smwwoody

Dont think it is timberjack.  are those timberjack axles?  what motor and tranny
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

mikeb1079

was that the one outta iowa on craigs?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

treefarmer87

I think its a IH or a treefarmer? or maybe a garrett
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

Its a S-7 IH, Pay Logger, the winch is supposed to be behind the seat.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

nastcat

I think it is a frankenstien skidder. The drivetrain is a retro fitted GM straight 6 with a powerglide transmission. The axles have a design on the end of the axles that look like a 7 with another 7 part of the way on top of the first 7. The front axle looks to be original the back looks to be retro fitted in. The winch is a garwood and is retrofitted in the loction it is in now. pretty sure in sat behind the cab at one time as there is a power take off coming from the transfer case in that area. I don't think the winch is an original skidder winch maybe off an old military style truck, but that is just a guess. Thank you everyone for thier help and input.

beenthere

Was this another "can you guess what this is?" as you now seem to know exactly what it is.   ::) ::)

I thought you had no idea, but good that you know as you said you bought it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nastcat

I still don't know. I said it is a frankenstien because of all the retrofitted stuff. Like the Frankenstien Monster who was made from a assortment of parts from other dead people. So far the best guess from the other posts looks to be a Intenational S7. I purchased it in mid michigan and I think it wll be an interesting project and a fun toy when I'm done. Again thanks for everyone help and I am very interested in any suggestion that anyone has to offer.

lumberjack48

The main frame and canopy are exactly like the S-8 i had. The S-8 didn't have the winch behind the seat, the S-7 did.

These had 3-53 Detroit's in them, my S-8 had a 4 speed Funk Power Shift.

This is in good shape, canopy's straight, a nice strip and rebuild
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bushmechanic

That's an S-8 International with the larger Rockwell axles in it and the batteries should have been under the seat but someone moved them to outside on the rear of the cab.Also should have had a Detroit or IH engine and a 119 Gearmatic winch not that Braden that's on it now.

Maine372

I saw that on CL and knew the frame was an s8. did you give him the asking price? does everything work as is?

nastcat

It was in the Standish area and I did give the asking price. Seemed like very nice people and the previous owners widow is trying to pay her taxes. I didn't think the price was to bad, fair, not a great deal. but fair. So far everything works as far as I know except the brakes. Still checking things out I will let you know as I get farther into the project.

lumberjack48

I bought a new S-8A in 1979, with the 6 cylinder turbo IH motor, you could also get a 4-53 Detroit, both had the Funk 4 speed, 119 Gearmatic winch, and 12 bolt rear ends.
The S-8A is a longer machine then the S8, i bought a S-8 in 1981. It was a 1976 with a 3-53, 4 speed Funk, 119 winch, same rear ends as the S-8A. The hood on the S-8 is about 2' shorter then the hood on the S-8A.

I have never seen a S-8 with the winch mount behind the seat, only on the S-7. There was one model of the S-7 that came with the 12 bolt rear ends. This must be a earlier model S-7 / S-8, and i've never seen that style of planetary on a S-8.

Heres a picture of my S-8, theres no winch mount behind the seat. Ed take a look at how i fixed the tear drop cover.

This a picture of the S-8A, it has a longer hood.

Heres a S-8, all the same as the S-8A, except the hood is shorter. Who ever had this machine had fuel tank or pump problems, they mounted the fuel tank higher then the motor. I have never seen a S-8 with a stick shift, this sure looks like it has a stick in it. I also see the guard for the winch lines has a bolt missing. We ran a S-8 like this 16 yrs, not hobby logging, full time logging, its all we did for a living. After we quit, i sold it to another logger.

BHC

i been around 10 or so of the s8 & s8a's they all had a serial number stamped on the back half on the side in the center, want to say its on the right. last 2 numbers are the year. I would assume they did this with there S7 as well? Not sure what year they started but all I have seen have it.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

lumberjack48

The stamped numbers are on the fuel cap side.

I didn't like the S-8A because of the gear shift on the dash, shifting was to slow compared to the S-8.
The S-8 is a fun skidder to operate, the winch is the same speed no matter what gear your in. The adjustable seat, set it to your weight makes a nice ride, if your afraid you might fall off, put the seat belt on.
The 4 speed shift lever is on the left hand side of the seat, forward reverser is on the left hand side of the dash. You can shift from forward to reverser in all 4 gears.

BHC

I know the numbers are there in that area, and some of them are for the year, maybe the frist 2 numbers too, I am not going to wade out into the snow to look.
Lumberjack, I never ran the s8a's been around them, just did not run them, how much more of a pay load could they pull? i know the International motor was much better starting than the Detroit. Never seen one with a 453. I was thinking it was the same transmission in them, just different linkage? I know with the side shift, you hit a bump and lots of times it would knock it into a different speed, and know a few who cut the shifting leaver off short because of this. not sure it helped. I wondering if a 453 would fit in a reg s8, and the running gear hold up?
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

Ed_K

LJ, i have some 4" drill stem that'll fit that teardrop, thanks  8) .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!