iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lifting log loader for travel? LT40

Started by Peder McElroy, January 19, 2013, 10:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder McElroy

I would like to know how to lift the log loader in place for travel when the head unit is out of range of the power strip (ready to move and locked down) on a 1991 lt40 woodmizer. It is very heavy to lift by hand. There is a hand winch up front, but I don't see any way to use that. Any tricks?
Thanks
Peder

highleadtimber16

Peder, I don't know much at all about the older woodmizer's. But when I am packing the mill up I raise the loader arms first, then lock the head into place.
Hope this helps.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

T Welsh

I raise mine up while on the power strip first by about a foot or so and then walk over to it and grab the safety chain and lift it up from there. then go back to the lever and fold it up. Its a little easier,but still heavy. once everything is in its place I raise the head to travel past the stowed lift down to its travel rest. Tim

drobertson

Pretty much the same here, while on the strip move the clamp in, actuate the log turner all the way up, then move the head back to position. Making sure you above the back stops of course. the log loader has seemed to be gaining a little weight to me as well.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

1. I raise the log/cant turner all the way.

2. Then raise the loader all the way.

3. Push on the pipe that connects the front and rear loader arms. It's not that heavy when the loader arms are all the way up.

4. Hook the chain to the pin between the springs on the turner.

5. Lower the loading arms, which will allow the loader supports to fold onto the loading arms.

6. Raise all of the rear outriggers, but leaving the last one down just a little off the ground.

7. Raise the saw head to 20 inches and move it to the back and lower it onto it's resting pin and hook the safety chain.

Other than that, all you can do is raise the loader by hand, but then you still have to fold the loading arm supports, they will fold, but you'll have to have someone put some weight on them while you lower the loader hydraulic lever.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Stephen1

Great directions, #6 is what I have been looking for. I have been having troubles with the rear legs and the SS bar jamming on me as I try to raise them.
Thanks Chuck
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

It's a lot easier to raise or lower the outriggers when the sawhead is at the opposite end of the mill.

It's just one of those tricks you pick up in time.

You'll find some interesting reading in this old thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,16303.0.html
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peder McElroy

Thanks to all,very helpful. That's why I Love this forum.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peder McElroy on January 19, 2013, 10:44:19 PM
I would like to know how to lift the log loader in place for travel when the head unit is out of range of the power strip (ready to move and locked down) on a 1991 lt40 woodmizer. It is very heavy to lift by hand. There is a hand winch up front, but I don't see any way to use that. Any tricks?
Thanks
Peder
Get the customer to help.  Or do the "hydraulics anywhere" modification and you won't worry about that again. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

rainshadow67

Hello, How do I retract the log loader support arms? I have one lever that moves the lift arms up and down but i don't see a way to move the black  support arms.seems to heavy to lift manually.

WV Sawmiller

I raise and lower mine entirely with the hydraulics.

To lift:

1. With the head all the way forward (I do not have hydraulics anywhere option) close/collapse the clamp all the way to give maximum ground clearance during travel and raise and lock the travel pin.

2. Raise the loader arms all the way

3. Raise the side support arms/log turner/claw all the way.

4. Pull the spring loaded claw down and hook the travel chain on the loader arm to it.

5. Lower the side support arms which will raise the log loader and lift the loader feet half way.

6. Toggle the log loader down to lift the feet all the way

7. Raise the head 25" so it will clear the raised loader arms.

8.  Run the head till it is directly over the travel pin and lower it till it centers the hole on the head on the pin. (Do not lower past the 3/4" mark on the mast)

9. Hook the safety chain on to the head so it can't bounce off during travel.

10. Raise and secure the sawdust chute and put the fenders on.

To Lower do all these steps in reverse as follows:

1.  Release the sawdust chute and remove the fenders, (Note: Be sure the landing gear are down first before moving the head from the travel position)

2.  Unhook the safety chain on to the head.

3. Run the head till up off the travel pin till it is 25" to clear the loader arms.

4. Run the head back to the front and lower it part way down

5.  Toggle the log loader up to lower the feet till they stop half way down.

6. Raise the side support arms/turner claw which will lower the feet the rest of the way and log loader part way.

7. Unhook the chain from the log loader to the turner then gently release the spring loaded claw to its normal position.

8. Lower the loader arms with the toggle the rest of the way down

9. Lower and lock the travel pin.

I raise my arms at the end of the day so the feet are off the ground at the end of each sawing day for safety and to keep them from freezing to the ground. Good luck. Welcome to the the FF.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!