iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repair or replace?

Started by r kutner, January 19, 2013, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r kutner

I have an old Dutchwest India 224 CCL stove. I love this stove. Never had a stove till I moved to this house and it was already here. The front end of my house heats very poorly from my forced air system so I run it whenever I am home for some length of time (I work a lot and am out some evenings) and it works great--though not big enough to heat overnight. I love how funky it is with all the knobs and the doors etc. even thought it looks awful and is kind of a pain to run. Anyway, the center part of the grate ( the non-moving part) has partially caved in. When I cleaned it out this fall I thought there were some old coals and when I banged on it the metal literally crumbled.

So I happened to recently be in the neighborhood of a wood stove store and took a look at some of the beautiful new high efficiency easy to use stoves and there is also now an incentive in Mass. to get a $1000 voucher for an EPA approved stove.

However, I have heard from some people with experience with the older stoves that they were disappointed when they purchased a newer stove.

So my questions are--is is possible to replace that middle piece of the grate? Does its crumbling indicate that its lif
e is over? And if so, any advice on replacements would be appreciated knowing that this site is partial to VC.

Please keep in mind that I am TOTALLY not mechanical or a builder so it is either have someone else work on it or buy a new one.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Have you tried to order a new part?

Is this the same stove?
http://www.cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=224CCL
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r kutner

Thanks--yes that is it except mine is not VC--an old knock off made in Taiwan or something. It looks like my part is no longer made. I was thinking about a new VC maybe defiant the middle size--what do you think about the stoves that you feed from the top

york

Hi,my new stove,you can feed from the top-just open the by-pass,then lift the top lid,slow and drop in wood,love it,what took me so long to get this stove?

It`s a Harmon  TL2.6

albert
Albert

beenthere

I have the Vermont Castings Defiant, and like feeding it from the top.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!