iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gun cabinet ideas.

Started by Bogue Chitto, January 19, 2013, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

Son is wanting to build a gun cabinet out of sinker cypress.  Would like some ideas.  Pictures would be nice.  Thank's.   :P

WDH

Here is one that I made out of eastern red cedar.

When you open the bottom doors, there is a center shelf for ammo and storage.  It holds nine guns. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

That's beautiful WDH.  One of my favorite kinds of wood.   

WDH

A gun cabinet out of sinker cypress will be very beautiful. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Son is 15.  Loves to wood work and weld. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2013, 09:12:22 PM

When you open the bottom doors, there is a center shelf for ammo and storage.  It holds nine guns.

WDH, how much would you charge me to build.....Wait a minute,  say_what done been done that road....never mind.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

When the adoption papers go through, you will be set  :).

Bogue,

Send me several thousand BF of sinker cypress and I will make you one  :D.

Lud

Consider something other than traditional , rectangular as that's so recognizable to house thieves.   Same for glass.  Maybe a corner cupboard with a lock....Depends on what he has to store too.  I saw one that was built to wrap around a column!  Very safe when locked up tight. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2013, 09:12:22 PM

What is the finish on that gun cabinet, Danny. It looks great.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

It is Sherwin Williams Wood Classics Fast-Dry Oil Varnish in a satin finish.  This is the best finish that I have even done on a piece so far.  This is an oil varnish, but it not a poly varnish.  I sprayed it on with a hand sprayer.

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2013, 09:49:16 PM

Bogue,

Send me several thousand BF of sinker cypress and I will make you one  :D.

Looks like you lowered your price on gun cabinets... :D ;D
Think like a farmer.

WDH

Bogue Chitto

I would not hear the last about that Holmes.  Son want's to build other items with the cypress also. Gun cabinet is just the first out of our stack.

clww

One plan in my head is to build one that appears to be a pie safe.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jueston

Quote from: clww on January 22, 2013, 01:29:27 PM
One plan in my head is to build one that appears to be a pie safe.

i've never heard of a pie safe before, but i just googled it and now know what it looks like, but there is still something i don't understand about a pie safe. are you trying to tell me that people bring home a pie and don't eat the whole thing in one sitting? i'm not sure i believe that.... i have never had to worry about keeping my pie safe, as it was gone to fast to worry about that. :)

clww

Years ago, all the baking for the entire week would be done on one day. All the pies and cakes would be stored in the cabinet (safe) for the upcoming week. That kitchen would get mighty hot in the summer with the cook stove generating enough heat to bake with. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on January 21, 2013, 08:43:26 AM
It is Sherwin Williams Wood Classics Fast-Dry Oil Varnish in a satin finish.  This is the best finish that I have even done on a piece so far.  This is an oil varnish, but it not a poly varnish.  I sprayed it on with a hand sprayer.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to try that finish because it looks great.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Tree Feller

Quote from: jueston on January 22, 2013, 10:38:21 PM

i've never heard of a pie safe before, but i just googled it and now know what it looks like, but there is still something i don't understand about a pie safe. are you trying to tell me that people bring home a pie and don't eat the whole thing in one sitting? i'm not sure i believe that.... i have never had to worry about keeping my pie safe, as it was gone to fast to worry about that. :)

I've built a couple of them using pre-punched tin panels. They look great in a "country" dining room even if the pies aren't stored in them. FYI - around here we don't "bring home" pies. They come right out of the oven after LOML bakes them.   8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

jueston

Quote from: Tree Feller on January 23, 2013, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: jueston on January 22, 2013, 10:38:21 PM

I've built a couple of them using pre-punched tin panels. They look great in a "country" dining room even if the pies aren't stored in them. FYI - around here we don't "bring home" pies. They come right out of the oven after LOML bakes them.   8)

i don't let the LOML get to close to the oven, last time she did every smoke alarm in the house was going off. around here i either bake the pies, or bring them home from my mommies house... no matter how they are made or arrive, they do not last long enough to need a storage cabinet.  ;)

this has got me thinking about baking up an apple pie now...

Tree Feller

Quote from: jueston on January 24, 2013, 11:01:40 AM
i don't let the LOML get to close to the oven, last time she did every smoke alarm in the house was going off. around here i either bake the pies, or bring them home from my mommies house... no matter how they are made or arrive, they do not last long enough to need a storage cabinet.  ;)

this has got me thinking about baking up an apple pie now...

LOL, Understood. My MIL is a world-class pie baker and she brings me one occassionally. I don't use the Pie Safe for storing the pies, either.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

woodsteach

As a shop teacher I try to talk my students out of building a traditional glass front gun (here they are..take 'em) cabinet. I will let them if they are set on it but I believe that gun control will be a bigger and bigger issue, and if guns are not locked up (prob in a safe) you will become more and more liable for them. Even if someone breaks in and steals them you might be liable for them if they are not in a safe.  Just my 2 cents. 

Maybe build an entertainment center or Armoire (fancy pie safe).
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

thurlow

I love the ERC gun cabinet and need to try that finish;  don't have the skills  :( to build furniture, but turn a lot of candlesticks......some out of ERC.  Some I just use multiple coats of glossy poly;  some I use a coat of sanding sealer first, etc.  Haven't used anything I'm crazy about..........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Clark

A gun cabinet idea that I will one day incorporate into one is magnets.  Most gun cabinets have the guns standing on their but and the barrel resting in a carved/shaped indent in a rail, often with felt covering it.  I saw where someone drilled into that rail, where the gun barrel would rest, and glued a magnet in there.  Put some felt over it and the top end of your gun should "stay glued" to the cabinet.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

I guess people used to display their guns, not hide them  :).

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on January 25, 2013, 08:40:31 PM
I guess people used to display their guns, not hide them  :).

Unless one is hiding them in a purpose-built vault that is bolted to a concrete floor they can still be stolen and sometimes even then.

I think displaying one's guns is a good way of advertising what a would-be thief might encounter when breaking into the home...the business end of a 12 gauge with a nervous finger on the trigger.   :rifle:
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Thank You Sponsors!