iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opinion on ported mufflers

Started by steve phillips, January 19, 2013, 03:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

howdy all
i just bought a new ms 660 , is the muffler worth the cost to power ratio.
'

thanks steve
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

torqueporting

Go for the gusto and have the engine tuned. The cost of muffler porting will be included in the typical $250.00 charge. An added exhaust port helps but a tuned engine really makes a difference.

What is the cost for the ported muffler of interest?

celliott

If you have a grinder you can do it for free, just enlarge the existing exit hole. No charge, just retune the carb afterwards.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

steve phillips

talk to me celliott , how much should i open the port . should i mill for another port .
during my motorcycle racing days i use to port some cyl and we would detemine how the chamber made the chamber

torqueporting

Usually muffler exhaust openings are modified to 75% or so of the cylinder's exhaust port.

celliott

:D
I wasn't getting all scientific on ya, i'd just make it bigger  ;D
How big is the single port now?
Maybe make it dime or nickel size?
Start small and step up, see how you like it.
I don't think there is alot of science or whatnot behind a muffler mod. Just be sure to retune the carb so it's not too lean and you should be good to go.
Or another option, I think stihl has or used to have, dual port muffler covers for the O66\660. Just order one of those and you might be happy.
EDIT- Found a DP  muffler cover on baileys, 90 bucks though.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS%201122%20140%200800
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

steve phillips

hey celliott
i wish i could get my hands on one to get some specs i would make a couple stingers for it lol. then the neighbors would yell lol

HolmenTree

My neighbors sure whined when I fired up this boat anchor that I put together in the early '80s. 8" stinger and all. :)
My 066 has a factory dual port outlet muffler, well made built tough with screens and all, for $89 at Baileys for a OEM muffler you get quality what you pay for.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

I'm pretty sure you can order a bolt on dual port cover for the 660 through Bailey's. When I grabbed my 460 used they threw one in for free for me, showed as a $30 part from Stihl. Should be able to get one for around that from Bailey's I'd think. Or like was said, do it yourself. I made my 361 a DP for around $8-10 with parts from them also.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

celliott

Quote from: steve phillips on January 19, 2013, 11:10:45 PM
hey celliott
i wish i could get my hands on one to get some specs i would make a couple stingers for it lol. then the neighbors would yell lol
Oh, I certainly appreciate the sound of nice tuned pipes on 2 stroke engines. I have a yamaha SRX snowmobile, 700 triple, triple tuned pipes with powervalves. Crack the throttle on that and hold on! Sounds like nothing else too.
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 20, 2013, 01:16:51 AM
Quote from: celliott on January 19, 2013, 08:57:29 PM
:D

EDIT- Found a DP  muffler cover on baileys, 90 bucks though.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS%201122%20140%200800
Says right here.............thanks celliott ;)
No problem  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

torqueporting

Quote from: steve phillips on January 19, 2013, 11:10:45 PM
hey celliott

You can design and weld a tuned pipe with the same procedures you used on bikes. The dimensions are all based, for the most part, on bore and exhaust timing.

I have used A. Bell's  "Two-Stroke Performance Tuning" book for my calculations and have mad some very stout pipes. Fun to play with but not good for a work saw.

AdkStihl

If youre into doing things yourself, pick up a Husqvarna 288 or 266 exhaust deflector and make yourself a second port. Much cheaper than a DP cover and still looks clean. The 288 deflectors are around $14 and the 266 deflectors around $8.
However, I would do a simple muffler mod before sending it off to be ported. If that dont work for ya, send me a PM.....I'll hook you up with one of the best 066/660 builders I know....if you dont mind being put on a 2-3 week waiting list  ;)
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

I used the 266 or 288 cover on my 361, even kept a screen in it so I can use it wherever up north, if necessary. Gotta have screen on state land. Nice thing with doing this is you can start small and work to a larger second port as you see fit . ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

You can make the deflecters . Now do as you wish but were it I I'd what and not do a thing as long as it's under warrentee .I wouldn't even tune the thing,let them .

If it doesn't run right pester the dickens out of them until it does .

JohnG28

Agreed Al, no reason to void a warranty on a saw costing north of $1000.

Al_Smith

:D I think about that thou and how many saws I could buy with that amount of money .I'll bet pretty close to a pick up full .A few years back could have the truck too for a thou --Al the tight wad .

JohnG28

Starting to understand what you mean Al. My last two, the 460 and 200t, think I have around $400-450 invested. They're not nice and new pretty, but they run fine. 200 took a little work, the 460 needs some and probably will over the winter.

Al_Smith

Believe it or not my best deals have came from the dead pile from a Stihl dealer. So far though I've not been able to lay my hands on an 066 but there's always hope .

Thank You Sponsors!