iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker's Choice wood cookstove?

Started by Bibbyman, January 19, 2013, 08:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We've always had a interest in putting in a wood cookstove. We had one years ago and we remember it as fun and practical.

Anyway new cookstoves appear to be very expensive.  But I recently came across an Amish built stove that is more in our price range.  As you would expect, it's plan.

Anyone have one or any other experience with the Baker's Choice wood cookstove?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

r.man

I know a family fairly close to me that have an amish cookstove of some sort that they love, have had for 15 yrs or so and they heat their whole house with. I will check for details when it gets to be a decent hour. The fellow that owns it just got called back to work at a local sawmill that has not run much in about a year and a half. Luckily for him this is a well established family mill with younger family members active in the business or it probably would not exist today like many others.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Bibby, the stove near me is a Pioneer Maid. The owner loves it and just said that its only drawback is that you have to keep your chimney and pipes very clean or it will give a little puff of smoke when you load it. His is top load only with a water jacket and is the primary heat for a 1500 sq ft split level house. Sounds like a good working stove to me.

Bibbyman

I'll look them up too.   Thanks.

Looks like with all the "back to basics" people are trying,  it's time for an affordable wood cookstove. 
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Up here, the insurance companies are driving them out of homes. Most won't insure you and those that do are expensive premiums or not much coverage.

That being said, my uncle always had his eye on the Enterprise Monarch. The cadillac for that brand of stove. My grandmother and my uncle both cooked over an Enterprise kitchen stove in the winter months. But of course mom did for a few years to. Everyone in my young life had big woodsheds that later became attached garages on old farm houses as the stoves were removed for the next generation and modernization. ;D

A kitchen wood cook stove is very practical, heat and eat. But lots of extra work. Time for them, in my opinion, is when your young not when over the hump. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bodagocreek2

Bibbyman - I have a Pioneer Maid (they also make the Pioneer Princess).  Found the stove in a Lehman Non-Electric catalog. Amish made, out of Indiania I believe. No problem with insurance. The stove is air tite. Will burn nicely for 18 to 24 hours.  Nice ash tray with manual draft control. Full size oven with separate control. I went through 3 old cook stoves and know I'll never have to buy another one. Chimney goes straight up and never a problem with smoke.

WH_Conley

One thing about having a sawmill, you always have fuel. From time to time you will be sawing something of the size that is just perfect for a cook stove. Not like we used to have split it up real small, now you can use edgings. I really like the firebox size on these newer stoves. I don't think I would want a top load only. That would be a hassle moving pots and pans to add more wood.
Bill

thecfarm

Baker's choice,Just on dail up bibbyman,so I won't take the time to google it. But I suppose this is an air tight stove,maybe firebrick too.And maybe a firebox bigger than a shoe box?

This is the old way.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bodagocreek2

WH - you're right. The stove will accept 8 inch plus by 14 - 15 inch . As far as top load this stove has a very large capacity firebox. Surface area is approx. 2' x 4', loading burner is 11" in dia. Nothing can fall out as with a front door load.

Jasperfield

Bibby,

I have a Heartland, Oval model stove with a six gallon water boiler. It loads from the front or the top. From mid-to-late October until mid-to-late April it heats my house.

And, I just love it. It's one of my favorite possessions. It isn't difficult or time consuming to use, and it's easy to cook with or bake.

It does not smoke or otherwise behave badly. This is due to the flue and height thereof.

I wouldn't trade it or do without it for anything. And, if I couldn't have this stove, I'd get another one of some kind as long as it's a cookstove.

SwampDonkey

My uncle had a heck of a time to get insurance and there was a stove in the house for ever. He did finally get coverage, but it went from $350 to $1200 bucks a year. Then what did he do? He got rid of the stove and never told the insurance about it.  ::)

Oh well, doesn't matter now. We planted him last November.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 19, 2013, 04:19:55 PM

A kitchen wood cook stove is very practical, heat and eat. But lots of extra work. Time for them, in my opinion, is when your young not when over the hump. :)

Swampdonkey says you're too old for a wood cookstove.

The wife of a guy I work with cooks 3 meals a day pretty much year round on a wood stove.They had a nice cast iron and nickel one that they liked but insurance forced them to a modern airtight style but Cindy says the newer one isn't as good as the old one.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

r.man

I don't agree with Swampdonkey to the point that I would suggest that his thinking is backwards. Who has the time and the inclination to fiddle with a cook stove to cook and keep a kitchen toasty warm. Not the person running around with a young family working and driving all over the place with little or no spare time. This is a patient, planning older persons toy. Make the kitchen 90 degrees on days when you feel the cold. The wood is small and light to handle and its not as if you have to move the stove to dust. Bibby is probably a bit on the young side to be owning one but he can grow into it in a decade or so after some practice.

SwampDonkey

Time to stop the driving all over with kids and make them work on the woodshed. :D Kids want something to do (it's what every father used to say) , it's what we called chores growing up. Still had time for pond skating, fishing and bike riding and the odd ball game in the hay field. ;D

beenthere

The single guy "blat'n" again.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slabs

Not to try to reroute the thread but what kind of wood do you use in the cookstoves.  Old timers down South insisted on split pine bit I'm having trouble accepting the soot and creosote that goes along with SYP.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Bibbyman

We'd use oak.  We live in a no pine zone.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

We would try to find some sassafras, burned good green and just got better dry.
Bill

SwampDonkey

Up this way we used mixed hardwood, that included any species of maple and birch and beech and ironwood for the most part, as Oak is about non existent. But when cooking we used hard maple and beech for the coals they generate, much like oak. Baked beans usually took 4 hours of cooking, it'll be that long even in an electric.

Bibbyman

When we had a cookstove before, we happened to cut a dead mulberry.   It lit and burned so well we keep it for for lighting the fire. It would split up into pencil size real easy.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Dry aspen makes a quick light to for kindling, but we always used white cedar. No scarcity of either, but it was tradition I guess. :) I find with the furnace though, at about Christmas time and then on a stick of hardwood is so bone dry that all ya need is a wad of newspaper and your in business. I've got a little stack of cedar down in the basement, but I figure it'll last another 25 years. :D

thecfarm

I saw them at Lehmans about 6 years ago. Forgot about that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

den

Here is a selection to give you a general idea of prices
http://www.antiquestoves.biz/general%20store/generalstore.index.htm

Someone said that the Kitchen Queen gives off a lot of heat compared to the Margin Gem cookstove.
I would think some of the new cookstove ovens are on the small side?
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Paul_H

In the winter when the fire in the woodstove is going all day long I'd cook meals on the stovetop on the weekends but had to use the electric oven for roasting. When we did a reno on our house this year, our old woodstove(20 yr old Quadra fire) was retired due to a burned out steel plate.
We were interested in a La Nordica Milly wood cookstove but it was a bit too small to heat our house so we ended up with a Margin Flameview wood cookstove. It's been a great addition so far and we've cooked baked and roasted in the oven with no problems or headaches.
We slow roasted a homegrown chicken at 300 F for 3 hours and it was no problem holding that temp and didn't need to hover near the stove. On Thanksgiving last weekend we cooked a 10lb ham and a large dish of scallop potatoes 2 hours @ 350 F followed by a delicious apple crisp.
Bacon, eggs and pancakes most weekends and good 'ol corn bread too. I bought a book on cooking with wood but basically you have to remember there is a lot of top heat and not so much bottom heat and the right side of the oven is hotter than the left.

Also learned a bit from Jimmie Rogers in The mule skinner blues  :)

" I smell your bread a burnin, turn your damper down
if you don't have a damper good gal, turn your bread around"

Jimmie Rodgers "Mule Skinner Blues" (1930) - YouTube

thecfarm

WDH

Quote from: Paul_H on October 18, 2019, 10:32:34 PM" I smell your bread a burnin, turn your damper down
if you don't have a damper good gal, turn your bread around"
Excellent advice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jack Lilley

We have a Pioneer Princess at our camp and my buddy has had a Bakers Choice at his camp for years, they are an excellent stove, you will not be disappointed. 

Pine Ridge

My mother and grandmother both had wood cookstoves, they didn't use them all the time. I have no idea what brand they had, both were black and white. Some biscuits and gravy they made on those old stoves would sure be good this morning !!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

hedgerow

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and there were a fair amount of folks using wood burning cook stoves in my area. Lots of folks used corn cobs in them in the summer for a fire that didn't last all day. Not for sure the brands they were. Many family's had moved the wood cook stove out to the summer kitchen for canning work also. My BIL parents had a wood electric cook stove for years when I was a kid my sister was 10 years older than me. 

SwampDonkey

There is an art to cooking on a wood fired stove for sure. ;)

The old hermit making lefse on his outdoor wood fired stove. He later got a genuine lefse stick to use in a later video.

Lefse, and the NPL - YouTube

When I was a kid everyone around here cooked on a wood fired stove. Everyone I knew had an Enterprise, built here in New Brunswick at Sackville. Seen a lot of them in camps to. :) The foundry burnt in 2012 and is no more.

Paul_H

SD,

I make lefse around Christmas usually on a electric griddle but used the wood stove a few times too.

We have an old wood cook stove in the barn that I may use one day in a cabin but it needs some work. This is the badge on it. Is it the same company you mentioned in Sackville?

SwampDonkey

Paul, The two companies merged a few years ago I believe (1984). All the old stoves out this way that I was around was before that, with the Enterprise branding. The foundry, at one time, was one of only a very few left in the world making wood fired cook stoves.

This site has an old photo from 1931 and some sort of CN car control manual, something to do with the foundry.

Confessions of a Train Geek: Destruction of Enterprise Fawcett

My uncle always dreamed of having the 'Monarch' model. His uncle had one and still is in the old house. Lots of chrome on it. An old railroad  foreman, so he had a good job for 40+ years.

Thank You Sponsors!