iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Second Patio Glider

Started by Tree Feller, January 18, 2013, 02:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I have about completed the second patio glider. This one was a commission. I'll be delivering it in about a week. I have two more coats of varnish to apply.

I also owe a couple of people here the plans but I was holding off because I was tweaking some of the design and verifying others. I'll have better dimensions for the frame to go along with the adirondack chair patterns now.

I sorta tracked my time and the woodworking took about 40 hours...a bit longer than I had anticipated. The finish itself takes a week as there are seven coats to apply with 24 hours drying time between coats.

One of the changes I made to the design was to include a storage compartment in the center table. I think it will be a handy place to temporarily store magazines, sunglasses, etc. It's not watertight.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Jay C. White Cloud

Very nice, what is the finish?

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Tree Feller

Thanks, Jay. The fnish is a coat of BLO followed by seven coats (when I'm done) of Epifanes Gloss Marine Varnish applied per their recommended schecule:

1st coat: thin 50%
2nd coat: thin 25%
3rd coat: thin 15%
Last four coats: thin a max of 5% - I use it un-thinned.

The bottoms of the legs are sealed with West System Epoxy to prevent water wicking and also for wear resistance over the soft Cedar.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Man....TreeFeller, that's pretty nice. It would be cool to have pontoons on it to float in the water.  ;D
Very nice Cedar work.
What do they sell for if ya don't mind saying.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tree Feller on January 18, 2013, 08:02:01 PM
I get $850 for them.

You are right on spot. I've got some builders that build similar furniture and swings around here with all the bells and whistle.....they get around the same thing. People just don't realize what all this build involves.
Lot of time......LOTS OF TIME.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

Beautiful work, Tree Feller.

Tree Feller

I delivered and got paid for the glider today. The customer was pleased with it and I was pleased with the money. I'm gonna spend some of it on new band blades for my sawmill.   

I got an order for another one, too.   8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

Another out of ERC?  You are going to need some more logs  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on January 28, 2013, 10:11:55 PM
Another out of ERC?  You are going to need some more logs  ;D.

I can always use more ERC logs. I have enough lumber to build two more gliders and then I'll be out. Hopefully, I'll get some more milled soon.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on January 29, 2013, 08:34:55 AM
At least it dries fast!

Amen.

I also planning to re-do the exterior of my house with stone wainscot on the bottom and ERC B&B above. I'll probably be buying ERC logs for sawing the B&B siding so that may be another source for my woodworking projects.

The ERC for those gliders came from my vegetable garden area that I cleared off in 2011. They weren't large logs but I still got a respectable amount of nice Cedar from them.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Thank You Sponsors!