iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made from just Plain 'Ol Scraps

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 17, 2013, 03:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Lady that runs the country store above my house asked me some time back to make her a table to put her Blue Tooth printer on.
I was busy then and it was pretty weather and I told her wait until a winter day. 

Well guess what?  :o  It's in the low 40's, it's pouring rain and the wind is howling.

I kept my word. I stayed in the shop all day since early morning.
She asked for something country to accent the barn boards I had sawn and are on the walls inside the store.

This table is made from scraps. The top and drawer front is Ambrosia Maple and the rest of it is Heart Pine.
I went to LOWE'S and spent $7.88 on 2 hinges and a knob. The knob is an antique style Maple Leaf.

The table, so far, has 1 coat of Formby's Tung Oil Gloss finish. I will add probably 4 or 5 more coats.
It stands 32 inches tall and is 18 x 18 inches on top.

This table was really fun to make. Nothing fancy, but it shows what can be done with small pieces that you would normally burn.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Delawhere Jack

I KNOW you are not apply the finish in your living room!?!? You better get that back in the shop before the wife gets home or you might end up sleeping on the bed of you mill.. :D

Looks good.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on January 17, 2013, 05:12:59 PM
I KNOW you are not apply the finish in your living room!?!? You better get that back in the shop before the wife gets home or you might end up sleeping on the bed of you mill.. :D

Looks good.

Too late Jack.....the whole house smells now!  smiley_horserider

fishpharmer

Another fine piece of furniture.  I hope you sign and date your work.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tree Feller

Nice looking table, David. Only, don't tell people it was made from scrap wood. Say that you had been hoarding that particular wood for just such a piece of furniture as that table.   :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Brad_bb

What is scrap?  Maybe sawdust is scrap.  Maybe I am just a real woodmizer. I have a hard time letting any small pieces end up in the burn pile.  ...U can cut plugs out of those, and I can use those for clamping, and those I can glue together and make...
Nice table. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tree Feller on January 17, 2013, 07:12:35 PM
Don't tell people it was made from scrap wood. Say that you had been hoarding that particular wood for just such a piece of furniture as that table.   :D

Oh No, no, no.......This table is the one our fore fathers used to sign the Declaration of Independence on. "Antique Road Show" said it was worth $25,000.  :o :o :o

But I will sell it to you, Cody.....for only $1500.00. Just because I like you.   ;D

pigman

Nice table. I like the rustic look.                                                                                                             
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2013, 03:46:31 PM
The Lady that runs the country store above my house
Do you live in the basement of the store? :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pigman on January 17, 2013, 08:31:15 PM
Nice table. I like the rustic look.                                                                                                             
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2013, 03:46:31 PM
The Lady that runs the country store above my house
Do you live in the basement of the store? :-\

DanG Pigman.....I do have to admit....that's funny!  :D :D :D

What are you laughing at Chief?   bat_smailey

Lud

So David, ......nice table.    If I could suggest.....a couple of 8-10" 1 x1"'s mounted by a screw in the center with a slighty oversized pilot hole  on the under edge at the front of your drawer/door.  If your customer chose turn them out , then the flap door would stay horizontal, i.e., as a mini desk surface........just a thought.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Lud on January 17, 2013, 08:54:59 PM
So David, ......nice table.    If I could suggest.....a couple of 8-10" 1 x1"'s mounted by a screw in the center with a slighty oversized pilot hole  on the under edge at the front of your drawer/door.  If your customer chose turn them out , then the flap door would stay horizontal, i.e., as a mini desk surface........just a thought.

say_what Never thought of that Lud. Back to the drawing board.  :)

jueston

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 17, 2013, 07:21:07 PM
What is scrap?  Maybe sawdust is scrap.  Maybe I am just a real woodmizer. I have a hard time letting any small pieces end up in the burn pile.  ...U can cut plugs out of those, and I can use those for clamping, and those I can glue together and make...
Nice table.

i have a mountain of cutoffs and tiny rips that i refuse to throw away. almost all the wood i work with is actually cutoffs from a cabinet shop, so by the time i call them a cut off they are usually less then 2 inches wide, and i still refuse to throw them away....
i really enjoy working with wood, so the fact that it takes me all day to glue up all the little pieces to make something doesn't bother me... and since nothing i make gets examined to closely the fact that its covered in glue lines doesn't seem to bother anyone else either.

beenthere

Quotethen the flap door would stay horizontal, i.e., as a mini desk surface

Or hold a keyboard if using it as a computer desk..........
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

The fact that MagicMan down in Mississippi has seen more snow than Chicago. :D :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on January 17, 2013, 10:21:37 PM

The fact that MagicMan down in Mississippi has seen more snow than Chicago. :D :D :D

I've not seen him all night.....he may be snowed in with a load of Sweet Gum.  :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

Back to the topic.  :D I like that. Simple yet very functional, nice job.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tree Feller

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 18, 2013, 12:04:14 AM
Simple yet very functional...

Form and function are one...Frank Lloyd Wright
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

justallan1

Very nice, kind of rustic looking. I like it.

Thank You Sponsors!