iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back on the ranch again

Started by Nomad, January 16, 2013, 08:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Morning yesterday on the WW ranch in Florida.  A warm calm winter morning, although most of the pics were even worse.  Sunrise, sawdust and steam, the sound of a fresh blade hissing in the cut...  Does it get any better than this?  I doubt it!  Did I ever mention that I really, REALLY like what I do?

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rooster 58

Looks like working in paradise!  All iced up here in northern Pa. ;D

slider

Go on and tell them,It' been in the seventy's here all month.
al glenn

AdamT

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

WDH

The scene was very nicely captured!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Nomad, thanks for pictures, I can almost smell the pine sawdust ;).  The widely spaced trees in what appears to be pasture looks like they are practicing silvopasture? 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Awesome Pics and its great being able to make a living doing something you love to do aint it Mate :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

and y'all never 'work' a day in ya life again
Always willing to help - Allan

Jemclimber

Nice pictures!! To be able to wake up everyday and enjoy what you do to make a living is truly a blessing  that very very few people have.
lt15

Norm

Great pictures Nomad, thanks for sharing them.

Magicman

Early mornings before the work begins can be pleasant.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A change of scenery every now and again has got to make sawing more enjoyable. I see the same old barn wall everyday.  :(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rooster 58

Hey magicman, didya try to catch a bass or two before firing up the mill?

Magicman

No, but I did watch several boats with bass fishermen pass by during the day.

rooster 58

;D I sure wouldn't mind experiencing some of that southern bass fishing I hear about smiley_beertoast

Nomad

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 16, 2013, 10:02:06 PM
Nomad, thanks for pictures, I can almost smell the pine sawdust ;).  The widely spaced trees in what appears to be pasture looks like they are practicing silvopasture?

Fish, I dunno what it's called but most of their pastures are treed like this.  (It's a good size place.)       There's a sporting clay shooting range at the back of the ranch.  This particular pasture is being converted into a world-class motocross track and an RV campground.  The track is already being ridden, but by invitation only.  The campground is still in progress.  That's why I had a few hundred more trees to slice up.  The upside is the critters are now all in other pastures, so I don't have "cow exhaust" from curious cattle to deal with this time.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

rooster 58

Gotta watch that cow exhaust. I hear it's really tuff on blades :D :D :D :D :D :D

paul case

''.... Meanwhile back at the case ranch....''

2-11-11 snowstorm. We had record hot record cold and record snowfall all in 1 week.

Much nicer lately even though temps have been below freezing for highs 3 or 4 days per week so far this month, we dodged a possibility for a freezing rain and snow event that could have us under 6'' of snow or an inch of ice.

Nomad,
Did they doze out the clear and just leave those trees? If that had been done any length of time ago here in OK the trees would be sprouting lower limbs all over the place.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

drobertson

Nice pics nomad, no doubt about it, I am ready for spring already, even though I know it means most likely another hot summer.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Clean Image

Great shots Nomad and your descriptive helped put us there too.

Every time I return to work on the property in Washington I feel the same way...man it's great to be back on the ranch!

Couple of shots from the last few days, first one shows the garage going up in the background. And don't let that sunshine fool you...its been 17 degs at  night so the ground and the logs are fairly frozen.   
Still wouldn't trade a week of sun in Seattle for all the sunshine in Maui, told my wife I'm so stinking happy I could cry (just not in front of the guys though) :D

fishpharmer

Paul Case is practicing shiverpasture ;) :D.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Nomad

This is a fairly mature stand of slash pine.  They've been culling trees for years to give more spacing as the trees get older.  The owner says this spacing is called "plantation spacing," meaning at least 50' between trees.  It's actually a bit more than that.  He's big into forestry as well as cattle, so he ought to know what he's talking about.  He sure knows a lot more about growing trees than I do! ::)
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

beenthere

I'm curious about the forestry plans.  Seems the trees are maybe left for some shade for the cattle.

Is the plus side of the forestry equation that they are putting on very good growth rings and thus lots of wood volume being that size? And what about new trees to replace those that are being cut? What is in the plan?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!