iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accuset 2 Install - More Drama than Expected!

Started by Red Clay Hound, January 16, 2013, 08:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Clay Hound

Since I have two mobile saw jobs coming up in the next couple of weeks totalling about 14,000 bf, I decided it was a good time to upgrade my 2007 WM LT40HD with the accuset 2 setworks.  On Monday of last week I called WM in Indianapolis and ordered the system.  On Thursday, FedEx delivered the parts and my Dad was here for the weekend, so on Saturday we decided to tackle the install.

It took a little over 3 hours and the process was fairly painless, until....!!! When I went to plug in the cable to the back of the box I noticed that the plug on the back of the main unit was slightly damaged.  When the box arrived, I had noticed that the plug had worn a hole in the box during shipping and was sticking out, but I did not notice that it was damaged.  Apparently it rubbed against something in shipment.  It didn't look too bad so I decided to go ahead and try to install the cable.  If was difficult to get the cable to plug in, but I eventually got it in.

We powered it up and it came on, but the numbers that are supposed to show the height of the blade above the bed were just rapidly scrolling through all the numbers. smiley_furious3  My assumption was that it was not getting a signal from the sending unit - cable problem!  I removed the cable and my suspicions were confirmed - one of the pins on the cable did not seat properly and was bent back in the plug.  I tried to straighten it but to no avail. :(

1st thing Monday morning I called Indianapolis and the technician said he would overnight me a new plug (wiring harness attached) and cable.  Got the package on Tuesday and came home early from work so I could get it hooked up.  Unfortunately, they sent the wrong wiring harness!!!  smiley_crying

Since I was supposed to start on a saw job the next morning, I decided to call Wood-Mizer in Newnan, GA.  I spoke to Nathan and he said he had the part I needed. :)  It was 2:15pm and the store closes at 5pm so I had enough time to drive the 2 hours and 20 minutes with a few minutes to spare (assuming Atlanta traffic wasn't too bad)!  When I got there, Nathan was waiting with the part in hand.  He took the damaged parts and the one that was shipped in error and said he would take care of the warranty issues.  He also gave me a free 7 degree blade to try out (compensation for my trouble). :)  He even gave me a tour of the facility and the ReSharp operation!  KUDOS to Nathan and Wood-Mizer South for their customer service!!! smiley_thumbsup

Got home and got everything hooked up.  By 10pm last night I had everything working perfectly.  I loaded my truck and was all ready to start sawing this morning.  Unfortunately it has rained all day and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so the sawing will begin on Friday! 8)

I can tell already, I'm going to love the Accuset 2! smiley_thumbsup
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

rooster 58

Sorry to hear of your troubles R.C.H.  I'll be doing the same thing shortly and hope I don't have the same experience!

bugdust

A good story always ends with a good ending. The Accuset 2 is truly a gem. Congrats on the finished product and good sawing. Wood-Mizer is second to none in my book.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Dodgy Loner

I was wondering if you had been able to do your sawing job today. This weather has been something else. It's supposed to snow here tonight! Should clear off and be sunny for a few days after tomorrow, though.

Sounds like your Accuset was more of an adventure than you had planned on, but I guess you didn't need to be in such a hurry, after all :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Red Clay Hound

Yeah, we had about an inch of rain today.  Tomorrow they are calling for rain, then sleet, then snow!  But the sun is supposed to be shining Friday and Saturday! smiley_thumbsup

Hope the weatherman is right this time!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Magicman

Even new-born babies hiccup, so it looks like all will be well with your upgrade.  I will be anxious to hear about how it preforms.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I get hiccops all the time, some things are meant to wait.  good luck,          david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

Pretty gutsy to do a major update just before a big job. Even expecting everything to go right, it would be nice to have a little time to get familiar with the new features.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

That is one thing I love about WM. As you are doing what you have to for your customer WM is doing what they have to for theirs. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

T Welsh

Sounds like  Murphys Law X 2  ;D. Glad to hear its working! Tim

Holmes

I have to admit that as an onlooker Wood-Mizer appears to be one the Best companies to deal with. Thought and consideration for customers is not found in a lot of companies.  Good post  Red Clay Hound
Think like a farmer.

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 17, 2013, 12:08:41 AM
Pretty gutsy to do a major update just before a big job. Even expecting everything to go right, it would be nice to have a little time to get familiar with the new features.
Bibbyman, I watched your video on using the Accuset 2.  That's what gave me the confidence that I could do it! ;D

woodmills1

see using accuset you no longer worry weather the "hiccups" will be the same you just  forward up back down and DanG its all the same

whoops I meant lumber not bodily functions :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!