iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can only take so much....

Started by Larry, March 31, 2004, 10:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Last spring Kathy suggested to me that we needed a new mailbox and post.  Told her the old one was just fine and the kids had given up bashing it with the baseball bats long ago.  She wouldn't let up on me and last fall said she was going to the store and BUY a post and box.  Let her buy a new box while I rushed out to the shop to make a new post.  Few days ago my favorite magazine got wet in the old box so decided I could brave the weather today with my dog buddies and get the new post in the ground. ;D

I like the new post so good I'm going into mass production and sell them.  If you want one get your order in and I should have it for you by say Christmas or so. :)

The old

The new

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

etat

That's gonna make a really nice TARGET!!!! ;D ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

old3dogg

Larry.
The snow plow guys around here would have a feild day with that! :D
I think they have a "thing" for new mail boxes and mail box post.They aim for them.

Kevin

Nice job Larry.
What's the dog doing in the ditch, waiting for the mailman?  

Minnesota_boy

I really like the mailbox post!  8)

The old one.  

Can you make posts like that?

I need 6 of them by next week.  They need to be aged just like the one in the picture.  ;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mark M

Thats pretty nice Larry but I don't think you planted that dog deep enough :D

shopteacher

Gee you was a busy boy, I see you even straightened up the paper tube.  Looks like the black dogs a lookout.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Larry

MB, you can't have my old box and post.  I'm going to plant it in Arkansas when I move there so nobody will mistake me for a rich Yankee. :D :D

Pick a date for when the box gets its first hit and will start a pot.  The winner gets a free mailbox post.  Hints – don't pick a date too far out as 20' wide planters on 16' wide roads is here and high school graduation is right after. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Rocky_J

May 7th. I figure about 5 weeks sounds pretty good.  8)

Furby

shopteacher

April 9th, Good Friday. That would be a good Friday to bust your mailbox. :D

sawwood

April 7 thats my birthday, would make a nice gift.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Lenny_M

My mail box got busted last week :( Usally they get just the box)This time they run the whole Mo%$^ F%$##R over.

18x24 chiminy block with the flue cemented in as a flower box with a 4x4 hardwood post Knotched and thruogh bolted .
  The car was found a short distance away,BROKE BAD 8)
  the cops said keep reciepts and time to repair.Mine was 1 of about 20 that knight.Mail was found in the trunk of the car ::)What are these kids thinkin?????????
                                                Lenny

DanG

They AIN'T, Lenny! >:(

Nice job on the post, Larry. I'll say Apr12. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pasbuild

My guess is going to be July 4th, I'm thinkin the local kids will make it part of there fireworks display  ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

UNCLEBUCK

Nice mailbox Larry C . . In my county in minnesota we got free mailbox posts and they took our old ones away so now I have a new swinging steel post and they put my old rusted box back on . I had a 20 inch norway buried for a post so it must have been too dangerous on the 55 mph road if someone collided with it . Thanks again for showing the pictures of your tree planting machine , I bought a auger type for a battery drill on ebay tonight and am going to drill holes in a plowed furrow like Chet talked about . It would have been a nice trip down to your place .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

Put me down for April 24th, our mail box is on our land so we can put anything we want for a post. I boxed the heart on a white oak that was pretty gnarly. Should still be there long after I'm gone. Not dead just moved to Beaver Lake. Come on over Larry we'll go striper fishin.

Duane_Moore

:D :D :DIncome Tax Day. April 15, he will blow it up himself.  Duh---Duane ;D ;D ;D ;D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Stan

Yah, we gotta have them breakaway posts too, but nobody said the mailbox couldn't be made out of diamond plate. That sure limits the mailbox busting fun.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Larry

Duane,
Unlike the past four years we got a refund. ;D :) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D  So Tax Day is a bad guess. :(

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8)Buddy, Friend,Uncle, You got money back.  don't forget you old poor friends. Duh---Duane ;D ;D ;D ;D more reason to get blowen up. not everyone gots a refund. mad guy next door? well still the 15, good guess.
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Kevin_H.

Larry, Nice looking post...I've also gotta give you a big thumbs up
 for the big numbers on the side of the box. Speaking from the EMS community, nothing worse than stopping in the middle of the gravel road with your redlights flashing so you can get out and read the little #'s on the mail box... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Percy

Im thinkin, Larry, if you could artificially age the whole sheebang, it wouldnt get noticed as much as what you got now. Seems the NEW stuff attracts the careless.  8)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Furby

Stan,
The boxes MUST (by law) be approved by the postmaster!
 ::) ::) ::)  ;) ;)

rebocardo

If you have problems with people hitting the posts for fun with their pickup trucks, I guarantee a 3 or 4 inch lolly column filled with cement with an exterior of 1x nailed around it will take out whatever hits it. One I put at the end of a driveway at my old house, the UPS guy would not even take a chance backing up towards it.

Stan

Furby, I know that, it says approved by the Postmaster Gineral rat on the back of the box.  8)

Furby

oldsaw-addict

You guys should see my cousins mailbox post in Bucks County Pa. H got sick of the local vandals hitting it with a baseball bat so he too 8feet thats right EIGHT feet of solid 4x4 steel post I think he said it weighs around 500LBS and stuck 4 feet of it in the ground. IT works too, he aint had a single loss of a mialbox since, infact the vandals came around one night hit the box, the bat broke the kids wrist,AND the camaro they were in wound up in the ditch on top of that. :D Talk about getting in deep ____! those teemagers were in it DEEP, the one with a broken wrist got arrested on federal charges, as well as a broken wrist and I think a bruised ego too. Well, ya gotta be dumb yer gonna pay fer it sooner or later. This relative of mine is also what you would call the town maniac, an IQ higher than Einstein, and a death wish to match. Not much more I can say besides,  if I ever get his email address, I'll see if he's willing to go into making metal tools and toys for us. I havent seen him since January, but of course I'm sure I'll see him sooner or later somewhere.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

redpowerd

theres laws protecting drunk drivers from killing themselves on a mailbox post. supposed to shear off if struck with vehicle.

there was some punk a while back that destroied my box.

he was mud bogging with some pals in some land we have in CRP, so i kicked him off and told him next time ill have the law. really ripped up some willows the state planted for buffers along a creek.
the next night i found my mailbox across the road! how gutless!
it wasnt smashed all that bad, looked like it was phisically removed and tossed.
called a cop i knew and got fingerprints, low and behold, same punk.
called his 'father' and got a new mailbox installed and restitution for the willows the state planted.
still have same mailbox ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

ScottAR

One of the better Ideas I've seen for mailboxes with vandal problems was to take a 3-4 inch steel pipe and place it in a 5 gallon bucket.  Fill the bucket with concrete and bury the bucket.  Put a bulletproof mailbox on it and viola!   Stupids with bats can't hurt it, but it will dislodge if a car smacks it.   If someone hits it, just fish it out of the ditch and stick it back in the hole.    Just an idea.  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

oldsaw-addict

I'll have to borrow the neighbors mack truck and see what happens when I hit it with that thing. a 3-4" steel pipe in a 5 gallon bucket filled with 120lbs of concrete is a little bit on the side of crazy but I guess if it works then GO FOR IT! Are you talking about regular fence pipe or a thicker steel pipe made at 1/4" thick? just wondering.

Stump Jumper

Speaking of mailboxes here is one I built for my wife for mother's day a several years ago.  Yeah tacky for a mother's day gift but my mailbox was destroyed about the same time and I didn't do it.

Mail box is made of 3/16 aluminum tread plate.

The door has retractable key chain cables.

The Flag is made from a simple spring and the red flag from the old mailbox.

The doorknob is a brass drain plug I need to polish it back up.

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

redpowerd

nice, whats the sno load rating for that roof? :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Stump Jumper

dont know about the snow load but i think it will take a stack of baseball bats :o :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

FrankA

A buddy of mine used to work in a foundry.  When he finally got his degree and became a school teacher, his mailbox became a target.  After seeing a kid rech out his car window with a baseball bat to bash it, he got an idea.

A week later, he had replaced it with one his old boss at the foundry made.  Cast iron sides, about two inches thick, weighs in around 120 pounds, took two of us to get it up on the 6X6 he used as a post.  Painted it bright white and he made a few comments about having to get a new box to some of the kids in his classes.

The following Monday we found a bent aluminum softball bat on the ground about twenty feet away.  That was eight years ago and I figure the kid's arm is still ringing.  :D

shopteacher

Gotta watch those school teachers, they're sneaky sometimes.

oldsaw-addict

I'd love to have your mailbox up on my mailbox post by the road. it'd look pretty cool, at least I think it would. its already a GREAT idea. If I'd come up with that, I'd patent it and sell it for MILLIONS as the baseball bat proof mailbox. :D

Hunter

Our plow guys got alot of them this year. I think they also sell new onesLOL, sort of creating the supply and demand.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Stan

Your plow guy reminds me of the grave digger that turned right outa the left turn pocket in front of my motorcycle.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!