iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey-cant hook ???

Started by Beaudeane, January 16, 2013, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

That'll be the next innovation bandmiller2, a Logrite with "LoJack" built in.  For an extra few bucks they will throw in one of them fancy keyless button thingys to turn it on, off, or make it chirp so you can figure out where you set it down last :D
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

I don't remember the specifics, but I believe I read that the Peavey bros. invented the Peavey specifically for the log drives. They looked down from a bridge on the Penobscot River near or in Bangor, and watched the river men trying desperately to dislodge a log jam, using cant hooks, and or pike poles, and possibly other tools, common or improvised.d. They realized the men needed a better tool combining the cant hook with a spike on the end. The spike could be thrust between logs to separate them, even when they were under pressure, whereas a standard cant hook... cant.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

I have been at the Cabin for a couple of days, but I see that we are alive and well here on this thread.    :)

I have mentioned this before in a similar thread, but I will repeat.  I had never seen the need to spend the $$$ to replace my cant hooks and peaveys.  I had one pipe handled cant hook that was arched correctly and would really grab a log.  None of the others would grab anything.  I had heated and bent the hooks, but they still were not right.

The pipe handled cant hook in the center is the only one that was arched correctly to grab a log.

Then at the 2011 Pig Roast, my number was drawn and I became a Logrite owner.  Kevin and Tammy replaced the peavey with a 60" cant hook.

I simply could not believe how much better of a tool that it was.  It was so much better than what I had been using for so many years, that I ordered two 48" Logrites.

There is no hook tearing out and slipping and having to re-set the hook.  The fact is, they are arched correctly and do the job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've got two Logrite peavies and I gave a couple away to our local woodlot owner organization as door prizes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

When my ship comes in   :D,I'll get a Logrite. When it does I won't be at the dock with my luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2013, 09:18:54 PM
When my ship comes in   :D,I'll get a Logrite. When it does I won't be at the dock with my luck.

:D cfarm, Logrites don't come to us on ships, they're made in the USA!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 19, 2013, 09:30:14 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2013, 09:18:54 PM

:D cfarm, Logrites don't come to us on ships, they're made in the USA!

Mine was shipped.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

and only a few states away too. I have a quart mason jar just about full of quarters. How many quarters are in a quart mason jar? My ship might be on the horizon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Mine to, and they never sunk the ship at the border. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
and only a few states away too. I have a quart mason jar just about full of quarters. How many quarters are in a quart mason jar? My ship might be on the horizon.

You have enough 1/4's to buy 1.

Be sure you tell them you are a FF member. You get free shipping!

thecfarm

On may 17 in Bangor Maine I will be at the dock.  ;D
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62949.0.html
I maybe walking side ways with a pocket full of quarters. I want a peavey,blue one,fiberglass handle,60 inches.
http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/Fiberglass-Handle-60inch-Peavey
The handle is only 1.5 inches on the fiberglass handles. How big are the aluminum handles?

Okrafarmer

I think I want a pickeroon next!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Okra,make your own DanGed pickaroon.Get a pick, that no one uses anymore, with a cutting torch cut one pick side off trim the outher shorter and thinner.Forge it hot with a hammer to a slight curve and a pyramid point.You will have a better stronger one than you can buy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 20, 2013, 08:25:20 AM
Okra,make your own DanGed pickaroon.Get a pick, that no one uses anymore, with a cutting torch cut one pick side off trim the outher shorter and thinner.Forge it hot with a hammer to a slight curve and a pyramid point.You will have a better stronger one than you can buy. Frank C.

Frank, do you have a logrite hookaroon?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bama20a

What in the cat hair is a hookaroon or pickaroon?  ???
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

beenthere

Either a hook or a pick on a handle.

See the Logrite site in the sponsor column and there is a pic there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bama20a

Now thanks to beenthere,I'm one smart fellow.I know what a hookaroon is. ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Jeff

The logrite hookaroon is a huge improvement from the old styles. Soon after we put the logrite hookaroons on the green chain for the guys to use, the old ones, that were continuously having to be reshaped, or sharpened were done away with. I didn't even bother keeping one for a wall hanger.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2013, 01:11:01 PM
The logrite hookaroon is a huge improvement from the old styles. Soon after we put the logrite hookaroons on the green chain for the guys to use, the old ones, that were continuously having to be reshaped, or sharpened were done away with. I didn't even bother keeping one for a wall hanger.

This has been an interesting thread. Jeff and some of you other 'ol timers know alot about vintage logging tools. :)

But my question is this: Do you have any ideas for a new tool that could be made to help us move or position a log more easily.......or has everything been invented and we can close the book?

Magicman

Everything has not been invented yet, but I do not know what the next invention will be.  If I did, I would be at the Patent Office.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

There are a few sawyer cant dog rolling tools made by Jamison in Canaan N.H. , a bark spud ,hookeroon ,pulp hook, and scratch hook in this picture. The double bit crusier axe came that way with the wrong handle in it, and an original peavey made in Oakland Maine ,without a pike. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

loggah, I have a CCC broad axe that is the same way, came with the wrong handle.  I talked to an old boy a few years ago, and he told me that a lot of times the axe heads, and handles arrived separately, and an axe might get what ever handle was available.  The one I have, was stuck behind the door in a store room in an old ranger station and was never used.

SwampDonkey

I haven't had time to look at my uncle's tools he had left around the old shed and garage. But I was sure he had one at least. His uncle made handles, so there would be a proper handle in it. I don't know how much stuff he has given away when he knew he was dying. I know a lot of stuff had walked off those few weeks. He was a bid odd in his ways, giving stuff away to strangers and not family. Yep, odd.

Thank You Sponsors!