iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey-cant hook ???

Started by Beaudeane, January 16, 2013, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaudeane

Can some of y'all educate me in the difference between a peavey & canthook? I saw on a couple sites, pics of each. Looked like only difference was a peavey has a point on the end & canthooks have more like a thumb on the working end. What's the different application for each tool or are they built for the same application ?? Thx
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Magicman

The difference that you noted is the only difference.  Some sawyers prefer the peavey because it can be stuck in the ground and is easier to find.  Unfortunately, that point will also stick into the ground when rolling logs causing difficulty.

Personally, I carry one peavey to be used when prying logs apart, etc. but my "go to" tools are three Logrite cant hooks. 

Each sawyer has their preference and their reasons for using each.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/Cant-Hooks-and-Peaveys

Logrite's page has a description.  I think an addition, a very important thing to learn is the difference between a logrite canthook or peavey and all the others.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

AdamT

I've only used my two wood handled cant hooks until sometime this past September when my customer had a peavey. I really liked it so much that I kept my cant hooks in the bed of the truck the whole time. My cant hooks work great for me, but when I buy a new one, its going to be a Logrite peavey. I really liked being able To stick the point in the ground and have it stay there until I needed it again!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

thecfarm

Jeff you beat me to it. I only use the peavey,the one with the point. I find it comes in handy as a pry point, or put the point between the logs to get them apart from each other. Also just stick the point in the ground and it will stand there waiting to be used again. I have never used a cant dog,  logrite_cool
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If you cut high quality hardwood lumber for furniture, the cant hook does not damage the cant to the same extent.  You don't want to be putting holes in your boards with the point of the peavy.  I think that it all depends on what you are cutting and what end product you are aiming for.  It does not matter so much with barn lumber or construction lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

speaking of logrite, my 60" peavey came in the mail last friday.  just in time to saw two hickorys for an old friend.  what a wonderful tool.  i'm already glad that i bought it.   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Red Clay Hound

Since my mill seems to be attracting a lot of big logs lately, I decided to order the LogRite 78" Mega Hook!  It was delivered this week.  It's a little heavy but I have been told it's a big improvement for moving the biguns! 8)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2013, 09:57:58 PM
If you cut high quality hardwood lumber for furniture, the cant hook does not damage the cant to the same extent.  You don't want to be putting holes in your boards with the point of the peavy.  I think that it all depends on what you are cutting and what end product you are aiming for.  It does not matter so much with barn lumber or construction lumber.

I get more damage from the hook than I ever have from the point.

Just sayin. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

isawlogs

Danny , explaine to me how one can damage a board with a peavy   ???   Are you using your peavy as a dart  :embarassed:    ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cedar Savage

Here's a video I found elsewhere on here....along about 11-12 minutes into it, shows some real fancy peavy work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvLnwys1OO4

ya can't do that with a cant hook....
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Okrafarmer

The Peavey and the Lombard Log Hauler-- along with Moxie-- great stuff from Maine!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

Okra,don't forget those DanGed red hotdogs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Ether cant hook or peavy can pinch hit for each outher but cant hooks were designed to flip logs/cants on the carriage peavy for log handling. Frank C.

ladylake

I have to get a peavy someday, I won't be sticking it in the ground around here untill spring.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

loggah

Yup ,ya got to love Moxie, or you hate it ,no in between. Peavey also made a log hauler to compete with lombard !! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

WDH

Quote from: isawlogs on January 16, 2013, 11:20:25 PM
Danny , explaine to me how one can damage a board with a peavy   ???   Are you using your peavy as a dart  :embarassed:    ;D

On a big cant, when turning, the point of the peavy can make a hole in the face of the next board.  Holes are not good with very high quality lumber.  The "thumb" of the cant hook does not penetrate to the same extent.  At least, that is my theory  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Quote from: Cedar Savage on January 16, 2013, 11:53:29 PM
Here's a video I found elsewhere on here....along about 11-12 minutes into it, shows some real fancy peavy work....

I just sort of skimmed through it, but saw very little peavey work, but a lot of use of pike poles.

Finn1903

Peavey is also a manufacturer of wooden handle log tools, similar to Logrite aluminium tools. 
I have a wooden handle cant hook from Peavey. 
Another useful tool I found is the Pickeroon.  I keep this around for grabbing and moving blocks and small logs.  Great tool to save from bending over to pick up blocks or trying to drag around a small log.  I also keep the pickeroon around the wood pile, many uses for this tool.  Logrite calls it a Hookearoon.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Okrafarmer

On the statue of Paul Bunyon in Bangor (which they made about 1/16 scale, by the way  :laugh: ) he is carrying an axe and a peavey.

:P

Paul was born in Maine. I think when he was a teenager, the "town meeting" was invented to decide what to do with him! Since Mainers never drop a tradition, the town meeting has been held ever since. . . .

I heard he hides out in Alaska now, 'cause it's the only place he's found where there's still room enough to hide between the mountains so people don't come around asking for his autograph all day long!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SPD748

I debated the same question for several weeks. I finally gave up and ordered a 48" peavey from Logrite. I can't wait till the doorbell rings!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Jeff

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 17, 2013, 11:30:18 AM
Paul was born in Maine. 

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bunyan

"Paul Bunyan is a lumberjack figure in North American folklore and tradition. One of the most famous and popular North American folklore heroes, he is usually described as a giant as well as a lumberjack of unusual skill, and is often accompanied in stories by his animal companion, Babe the Blue Ox.

The character originated in folktales circulated among lumberjacks in the Northeastern United States of America and eastern Canada, first appearing in print in a story published by Northern Michigan journalist James MacGillivray in 1906. However, the stories found widespread popularity after they were reworked by William Laughead for a logging company's advertising campaign beginning in 1914. The 1922 edition of Laughead's tales inspired many others, and the character thereafter became widely known across the United States and Canada. As Bunyan's popularity came only after the stories appeared in print, some commentators have thought of him as an inauthentic "fakelore" character.[1]"

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on January 17, 2013, 11:36:47 AM
Paul was born in Maine. 

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
???  :P That's what the book I had when I was a kid said. I think it was written by Steven Kellog.

I made the town meeting part up. You'd have to know Maine to understand that part!

Jeff

I think he is claimed by several state, with the lake states being the most adamant about it. But it is kind of a mute point because unless santa or the easter bunny tells us the actual truth it will always be debated. However being from Michigan, it is mandatory that I insist he was born here.  Don't let CHARLIE see this, or there will be a brouhaha  :D

Okrafarmer

Ok, I admit we are debating something that is very difficult to prove!

Our tradition was that Paul was born in Maine and wandered over to the Great Lakes as a young man.

loggah

I have a collection of Paul Bunyan books around 30, and most say he was born in Maine. I really cant say for sure, but i think he  preferred being in New Hampshire ;D. I believe  the invention of Moxie was  the residue left in the washbasin after Paul washed his feet !!!! ;D Sorry to derail this thread. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Contrary to many false publications, Paul Bunyan was actually born in Mississippi.  He left here with only the clothes on his back, an axe, and a large sack of Grits over his shoulder.  Shortly thereafter many states tried to claim him just to get his Grits recipe.  Well, he was much too smart to fall for that trick, and none of them ever got him or the Grits.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 17, 2013, 02:18:45 PM
Contrary to many false publications, Paul Bunyan was actually born in Mississippi.  He left here with only the clothes on his back, an axe, and a large sack of Grits over his shoulder.  Shortly thereafter many states tried to claim him just to get his Grits recipe.  Well, he was much too smart to fall for that trick, and none of them ever got him or the Grits.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

You had me going there for a minute. BUT I know for a fact no Yankee would even think of asking for any g...s recipe.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

I knew him fairly well, but never asked him where he was from.  I think MagicMan's post gave me the biggest grin though! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JohnM

Quote from: Jeff on January 16, 2013, 10:37:03 AM
I think an addition, a very important thing to learn is the difference between a logrite canthook or peavey and all the others.

With a 50/50 mix of tongue in cheek and completely serious/curious, other than being a sponsor (TinC part ;)) what are those differences?  Handles are one, I know.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

beenthere

One of the most obvious was the grab in the log when using the Logrite. Just a world of difference. Then the size (diameter) of the handle and the lighter weight. All was positive improvement.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I'll just let the other guys do the testifying this time, since it is implied I'm sponsor biased. There is a very long line of believers that can fill you in.

OR you can simply use the forum search button and find the hundreds of praises. :)

beenthere

Or better yet, get one and be one of the many converts.  8) 8) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedar Savage

I always heard he came from Maine....He came to Michigan & dug the Great Lakes so as they could float the logs over to rebuild Chicago after it burned....
Heres an old pic of him living up on a hill in Ossineke Mich....

He retired & moved into the town now...
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Okrafarmer

I really like my yellow Logrite peavey!

To be very honest, we bought two Chinese-built peaveys from (Jeff's least favorite store) a while back, and they were terrible. We still have them. I broke the handle on one of them. Not wanting to get another handle from the same source, I called up the true Peavey company, and ordered a replacement handle from them. That handle seems to be much better, and is made, I think, from either ash or hickory. Unlike the unknown chinese wood used in the NTJACS knock-offs. (All this was from before we were Logrite converts). While I was ordering the handle, I ordered an additional peavey from Peavey. I am still confused as to whether Peavey actually still makes their peaveys in Maine or anywhere in the US still at this time. I've been told they are actually made in China, and their website, last I checked, did not say. But bragged on being a long-time Maine company. . . .

Anyway, the Peavey-brand peavey was far better than the NTJACS knock-offs. The point of the hook was much better quality, and very sharp right from the factory. Just to be fair, I think it is every bit as sharp as the hooks on the Logrites, and it hooks right in there nice and solid. So far we have not had to resharpen it, so I don't know how it does once you grind off the factory point. But it's two or three orders of magnitude better than the junk ones.

We got a Stihl peavey, made by Logrite, shortly after that. Then I ordered the yellow one when it was on special (thanks, Tamiam!). I use the yellow Logrite at all times now, and the Stihl and the Peavey-brand go out on the jobsites with Profdan and Greenhorn Artisan when they are collecting logs. The other two (junk ones) don't get used much any more. The Logrites manufacturing quality is far better than even the Peavey-brand. My only complaint is that the tip be sharper from the factory, but I guess you can sharpen it yourself if you like. And that depends whether the wood you are handling is typically hardwood or softer wood. Besides the excellent quality of the Logrite and the fact that nothing short of an earthmover could break the handle, there is the fact that they are made entirely in the United States by a family-owned company who stands behind their product and cares to deal with customers on a one-on-one basis.

Having said that, for nostalgia's sake, I wish I could say the same things about the modern day Peavey company, but I lack the evidence. And they all have wooden handles, regardless. :-\

mad murdock

I thought Babe the Blue Ox made the Great Lakes with his hoof prints when he was hooked up to a load and dug in as he pulled. Can't remember what he was pulling, I seem to recall it having to do with straightening something out that was real windy and crooked.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

isawlogs

I have both , use a cant hook around the mill, but if a log needs to be rolled for any distance the peavey gets a work out. My go too tool is a  cant hook, but like I said I do have a peavey near me if needed.

Danny, I do use the cant hook on the mill and don't recall using a peavey to turn a cant. I have a short cant hook near me for the mill... so have no knowledge of the imprint of the tip,  thanks for the education!     :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

bandmiller2

The Peavy co. in Eddington Maine[next to Bangor,or Bangah if your from around here] has been making logging tools just short of forever,in fact peavy has become a genaric term.Logrite is the premiun product by a wide margin but don't sell the outhers short if they can be had reasonable, grab them.My favorite trick is to find wooden ball bats cut a taper on the big end and use them for short peavy/cant handles.Haven't figured how to do it with aluminum bats yet.Disclamer,be carefull wooden handles don't break and splinter. Frank C.

Okrafarmer

Yeah, you can sometimes get wooden bats at yard sales pretty cheap.

isawlogs

I make my own handles from white ash, I will be turning some this winter as soon as this cold spell gets outa here!!  :)

Also have a dozen axe handles to make, those I use either ash or ironwood...

Marcel

beenthere

Quotebe carefull wooden handles don't break and splinter

They don't?   ::)
Better tell my old wood-handle cant hook that, as it doesn't know. Fixed it with a hose clamp which worked until the Logrite's came along.  :)
south central Wisconsin

JohnM

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 18, 2013, 08:06:56 AM
The Peavy co. in Eddington Maine[next to Bangor,or Bangah if your from around here] has been making logging tools just short of forever,in fact peavy has become a genaric term.

I drive by the factory anytime I go to town.  Which will be right after I finish this response. :D
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61108.0.html  (MM, how do you do that LINK thing? :))
Honestly, I'd like to see them as a sponsor here.  Still family run/owned.

Okra, that's a good point about where the heads are made, I'm not sure.  Bailey's says 'Made in the USA' so I 'assume' that means the whole unit, again not sure. ???
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15784&catID=
The yard is full of ash (Bailey's says 'white mountain hickory', same as ash?) although last time by the piles were pretty small or at least smaller than normal.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

isawlogs

Disclamer,be carefull wooden handles don't break and splinter. Frank C.
Beenthere, this slipped by me
I need to know what kind of wood is beeing used ...   :P  My ash last a long time but they  do give in after much abuse.

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: isawlogs on January 18, 2013, 10:52:10 AM
Disclamer,be carefull wooden handles don't break and splinter. Frank C.
Beenthere, this slipped by me
I need to know what kind of wood is beeing used ...   :P  My ash last a long time but they  do give in after much abuse.

You could always go to hickory, pretty tough stuff. Just don't leave them out in the weather to rot. :) :) :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 17, 2013, 11:49:28 AM
Ok, I admit we are debating something that is very difficult to prove!

Our tradition was that Paul was born in Maine and wandered over to the Great Lakes as a young man.

Well at least we have Peter Emberley, a famous poem was written about him when he died after a logging accident. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48442.msg698163.html#msg698163
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

loggah

Hornbeam makes good strong handles ,but like any wood they have to be hung with the grain going the correct way. I have  long and short Peaveys to use on my mills . I also have about 40 different ferrules, pikes, and hooks to chose from , pretty near every hook has a different arch to them .I chose the more open ones ,they work fine for me. I just like a wooden handle on my logging tools. ;) Don

isawlogs

I use ash as it is readily available to me, works fine for me.  :)

Marcel

Jeff

QuoteI just like a wooden handle on my logging tools.

That excuse always makes me laugh and feel a bit sorry for those that need a better tool but opt not to go with a logrite. If your using the wood handled tools because of tradition, or nostalgia. there is nothing wrong with that. In fact that is very cool. But if you are actually working working and want the tool that will do the best job, you are simply missing the boat if you don't choose logrite. The only people I have ever heard say that wood handle tools are better, are A. Those that either have never used a genuine logrite tool, or B. Those that have tried them and just refuse to admit they were wrong. (you will find these people secretly using the logrite tools)

Maybe a wooden hook might serve you well too eh? ;)

loggah

Hey Jeff,I don't see many aluminum handles on axes  or splitting mauls!!! ;) ;D i guess i'm just a hobby sawyer so hobby cantdogs and peaveys work perfect for me. Years ago i used to sell a bunch of Ash to True temper over in St.Johnsbury Vt. then some years back they closed their doors because the market went away from wooden handles. Since all the fiberglass and aluminum handles have come about we dont have a decent ash market in the area. I guess many loggers here lost that market and  really dont go hog wild over forestry tools that no longer use a forestry product. I don't like steel studs in a house either !! Don

Jeff

The reason you don't see them on axes and malls is for the cushion that wood provides due to impact. You don't chop with a canthook.

On logrite canthooks and peaveys, the handles are really secondary to the perfected hook geometry. The hooks bite so well, you better have a strong handle.  Again, there are some of you that sit back and say, Ah he's just pumping them up because they are a sponsor. To that, I'll tell them to their face "You don't know jack".   I worked in the sawmill and the woods my entire life. I've broken several tools with wooden handles. Mostly because when they get used every single day, they tend to get weakened by the elements. I'm a guy who has had a set of double blackeyes due to a woodhandled canthook letting go. I bought the first logrite tool, a hookaroon as a fluke. MY back was out at a logging show, and I needed a cane. I bought it because it was the perfect length.  When I took it back to the mill, it ended up getting fought over, on who was going to use it by the tailers on the green chain. They all had wooden ones up until that point. I bought another one just so there was no messing around. We broke a handle on the canthook we kept back by the debarker. Probably the 10th one we had in 20 years. They get used constantly adjusting big logs that didn't want to go down the conveyors. They break.  We replaced that one with a logrite. in 2006, just before I left the mill.  I ran into one of the guys that still works there the other day, and we were talking about the forum, and the sponsors we have now, and he mentioned that they are still using that logrite canthook.

loggah

I have used the logrite a few times and i just didn't like it. I agree they are rugged and work,now if they made one with a nice tapered handle like i like i would buy one !! My brother has one at his bandmill.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2013, 12:37:40 PM
The reason you don't see them on axes and malls is for the cushion that wood provides due to impact. You don't chop with a canthook.

On logrite canthooks and peaveys, the handles are really secondary to the perfected hook geometry. The hooks bite so well, you better have a strong handle.  Again, there are some of you that sit back and say, Ah he's just pumping them up because they are a sponsor. To that, I'll tell them to their face "You don't know jack".   I worked in the sawmill and the woods my entire life. I've broken several tools with wooden handles. Mostly because when they get used every single day, they tend to get weakened by the elements. I'm a guy who has had a set of double blackeyes due to a woodhandled canthook letting go. I bought the first logrite tool, a hookaroon as a fluke. MY back was out at a logging show, and I needed a cane. I bought it because it was the perfect length.  When I took it back to the mill, it ended up getting fought over, on who was going to use it by the tailers on the green chain. They all had wooden ones up until that point. I bought another one just so there was no messing around. We broke a handle on the canthook we kept back by the debarker. Probably the 10th one we had in 20 years. They get used constantly adjusting big logs that didn't want to go down the conveyors. They break.  We replaced that one with a logrite. in 2006, just before I left the mill.  I ran into one of the guys that still works there the other day, and we were talking about the forum, and the sponsors we have now, and he mentioned that they are still using that logrite canthook.

Hey Jeff.

I would like to say one thing that is nice about wooden handled tools, compared to steel. There is a feel to the wood, that if you pay attention to, will help you both not break the handle or hurt yourself. When the wood starts to bend appreciably, you are overstressing the tool.

Any peavey or cant hook can let go of a log either from tearout, bad bite, or bark letting go. If you are hitting yourself in the face or anywhere else, you are applying force incorrectly. After getting popped enough times, I have altered my body positioning so that if the hook lets go, it won't hit my body. Same idea as pointing a knife away from yourself when cutting.

That said, I am going to try one of the logrite peaveys just to see......

;D 8) 8) 8)

Jeff

B.

One more thing that can be fact checked. I don't believe in logrite tools because they are a sponsor. They are a sponsor because I believe in logrite tools.  Kevin came to me years ago, and his words, not mine "begged" to become a sponsor. I think you should be able to find that quote with a search here. But since that day, Logrite Tools has been a loyal sponsor of the Forestry Forum and has a big part along with our other sponsors, is the reason we are still here, everyday, for all of you.

mesquite buckeye, Logrite tools are not steel handled. Do you have one? If not, you are in no position to critique or compare.

Also.

QuoteIf you are hitting yourself in the face or anywhere else, you are applying force incorrectly.

You don't know what the heck you are talking about, if you are referring to me hitting myself in the face. Have you ever worked in a commercial sawmill operation? You were not there, and you don't know the details, or have any idea of why we had to use canthooks on the debarker the way they were used.  You are telling me that having a wooden handle fail is operator error? Could be, in my case it was not. I've been hit twice. The other time was when the end of a far log hit the debarker head, hitting the next log inline that I was trying to pry up to let the first log go that was being held by the second log in the same conveyor. The first log slapped the second log, jerking the handle out of my hands and slapping me in the gourd. You can tell the log it was applying the wrong force if you like.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2013, 01:10:15 PM
B.

One more thing that can be fact checked. I don't believe in logrite tools because they are a sponsor. They are a sponsor because I believe in logrite tools.  Kevin came to me years ago, and his words, not mine "begged" to become a sponsor. I think you should be able to find that quote with a search here. But since that day, Logrite Tools has been a loyal sponsor of the Forestry Forum and has a big part along with our other sponsors, is the reason we are still here, everyday, for all of you.

mesquite buckeye, Logrite tools are not steel handled. Do you have one? If not, you are in no position to critique or compare.

Also.

QuoteIf you are hitting yourself in the face or anywhere else, you are applying force incorrectly.

You don't know what the heck you are talking about, if you are referring to me hitting myself in the face. Have you ever worked in a commercial sawmill operation? You were not there, and you don't know the details, or have any idea of why we had to use canthooks on the debarker the way they were used.  You are telling me that having a wooden handle fail is operator error? Could be, in my case it was not. I've been hit twice. The other time was when the end of a far log hit the debarker head, hitting the next log inline that I was trying to pry up to let the first log go that was being held by the second log in the same conveyor. The first log slapped the second log, jerking the handle out of my hands and slapping me in the gourd. You can tell the log it was applying the wrong force if you like.

Wow.

Didn't mean to start a war. dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_argue01

I have been running a mill  for many years. It is not a big commercial mill, just a woodmizer.

Clearly, it has nothing to do with the tool if the log goes flying. I'm just talking about using the tool for adjusting or turning logs. I don't think it matters which tool you are using if that happens. Clearly, you can get killed at an operating mill and it doesn't have to be your fault. I've heard the stories of guys falling into the hog....

Anyway, having not seen the log rite tools, I don't know how they are constructed......

Have a good day anyway. :) :) :)

mad murdock

I have not used a logrite tool to date, but I can say that they deserve thier spot at the top IMO, they see the value in a good product and keep it going.  Case in point, Blue Creeper!  I am a mechanic for my day job, and I first bought the Rust Reaper penetrant.  Blue Creeper now, I am grateful to Logrite for taking on the product and keeping it out there. It is the best penetrant I have ever seen or used, bar none.  I am sure that their logging tools have just as much or more thought that has gone into their engineering design and manufacture.  I know that there will come a time when I will need new forestry tools, and I will be looking to Logrite for sourcing those needs when the time comes.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

I don't want to bash anyone and really don't care what others use for tools. Some people are set in their old ways, and others are set in new ways. ;D

I've worked with wooden handled peaveys on log yards. The handles always came up broke. But also, as sure as the world spins, if you set a peavey down the hired help would run over it even if the yard was 10 acres big. :D My uncle used wooden handled peaveys and axes, all hop-hornbeam handles and his uncle was always replacing with new wooden handles. He would always tell my uncle that he didn't know how to use either right. The truth is, he did know how to use them. They were for work, and they were always failing when needed to get a task done. Sure they last awhile, and then snap. It's a pain to have to replace handles all the time. The reason I'll never buy a wooden handled hammer again. I've got 3 or 4 hammer heads in a box. But I bought a full steel hammer 20 years ago and I go get my steel hammer. I'm not going to fix any of those other hammers. ;D

Sure you can hang your peavies and hooks on the barn wall to enjoy, and watch nostalgic videos of the old timers using push poles on log drives. That's all fine and dandy. However, I doubt much they used many peavies while cat walking on flows of logs. Now that would be interesting. My grandfather log drived and a peavey was not used on water. What they used here was a black spruce pole with a spike on the end. It would be long and light weight (once dry) and strong.

I've had to move a  large 24" x 12 ' (about 800 lb) spruce out of my path before, thankfully down hill, so I could get to a work area. I had a Logrite to do it. A wooden handled peavey wouldn't have the strength or the leverage.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JohnM

On the statue of Paul Bunyon in Bangor (which they made about 1/16 scale, by the way  :laugh: ) he is carrying an axe and a peavey.

Here ya go, Okra.  Only had to go Brewer but couldn't resist crossing the bridge for a photo op. ;D  That's as close as I could get, they've got the whole place fenced off while they build the new auditorium.  That's part of it in the background.  They opted to go with a dome this time as opposed to an inverted roof like the last time. ::)

JM

Jeff

No war on my part, just the appropriate, honest and experienced response to your post. I do get a bit excitable on this issue, because it has come up before. Always, the person arguing for the wood handled tools do not have everyday, day in and day out experience with both. Everyone that has logrite tools, and uses them regularly, knows how vastly superior they are to everything that was previously available. It also seems, that because I own the place, that my position on Logrite is always dismissed as protecting or fluffing up a sponsor. That really is not fair to me, so yea, I get a bit excitable.  That's no reason to say there is a war.  I also felt the need to defend myself when you said I got hit in the face because I was using the tool in the wrong way.

I'll also add, that the type of aluminum handles that LogRite uses, so have give to them, without bending. Not unlike a wooden handle. When you get to the point where a Logrite tool is flexing, it is still way within its limits, and far past the limits of a wooden handle. 

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 18, 2013, 02:23:01 PM
I don't want to bash anyone and really don't care what others use for tools. Some people are set in their old ways, and others are set in new ways. ;D

I've worked with wooden handled peaveys on log yards. The handles always came up broke. But also, as sure as the world spins, if you set a peavey down the hired help would run over it even if the yard was 10 acres big. :D My uncle used wooden handled peaveys and axes, all hop-hornbeam handles and his uncle was always replacing with new wooden handles. He would always tell my uncle that he didn't know how to use either right. The truth is, he did know how to use them. They were for work, and they were always failing when needed to get a task done. Sure they last awhile, and then snap. It's a pain to have to replace handles all the time. The reason I'll never buy a wooden handled hammer again. I've got 3 or 4 hammer heads in a box. But I bought a full steel hammer 20 years ago and I go get my steel hammer. I'm not going to fix any of those other hammers. ;D

Sure you can hang your peavies and hooks on the barn wall to enjoy, and watch nostalgic videos of the old timers using push poles on log drives. That's all fine and dandy. However, I doubt much they used many peavies while cat walking on flows of logs. Now that would be interesting. My grandfather log drived and a peavey was not used on water. What they used here was a black spruce pole with a spike on the end. It would be long and light weight (once dry) and strong.

I've had to move a  large 24" x 12 ' (about 800 lb) spruce out of my path before, thankfully down hill, so I could get to a work area. I had a Logrite to do it. A wooden handled peavey wouldn't have the strength or the leverage.  :)

We sure stirred up the hornets with this one. :D :D :D

I think in all this there is a major philosophical difference about what tools are and aren't for.

With my upbringing, if you broke a tool, it meant that afterword you would have to figure out how to get a job done without it. Maybe it is just depression think, but I think there is more to it than that. I remember growing up seeing different farmers tool sheds. You would see lots of them filled with broken tools, rusty tools, abused and bent tools. Then you would see the tools of somebody who really took care of his tools. 20 year old wooden handles, polished from work, little or no rust on the steel, and so on. This really impressed me. They all got the job done, there is just a difference in the attitude and tool bill.

Sometimes there is no choice but to use whatever tool is at hand to improvise a solution to a problem. Granted, and the tool may have to be sacrificed to solve the problem.

Usually there is a choice, however.

An axe is not a bolt cutter.

A peavey isn't a pry bar.

A screwdriver isn't a chisel.

and so on.  Just some thoughts
Tools will last indefinitely if not abused.

Jeff

I can think of at least a half dozen towns in Michigan that huge Huge Paul Bunyan Statues as well as Babe in at least one.  We arranged a rescue party for Paul a few years ago when we had feared he had been taken hostage in Saint Ignace.

Jeff

A peavey is a prybar. They were designed with the ability to pry. They are meant to pry logs.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2013, 02:52:31 PM
No war on my part, just the appropriate, honest and experienced response to your post. I do get a bit excitable on this issue, because it has come up before. Always, the person arguing for the wood handled tools do not have everyday, day in and day out experience with both. Everyone that has logrite tools, and uses them regularly, knows how vastly superior they are to everything that was previously available. It also seems, that because I own the place, that my position on Logrite is always dismissed as protecting or fluffing up a sponsor. That really is not fair to me, so yea, I get a bit excitable.  That's no reason to say there is a war.  I also felt the need to defend myself when you said I got hit in the face because I was using the tool in the wrong way.

I'll also add, that the type of aluminum handles that LogRite uses, so have give to them, without bending. Not unlike a wooden handle. When you get to the point where a Logrite tool is flexing, it is still way within its limits, and far past the limits of a wooden handle.

So opened up an old wound. Sorry for that. Not my intent. :)

The Log Rite stuff sounds really good and I intend to try one. I'm sure they can be destroyed by abuse too, no? Just more force needed to do it. :)

I didn't think you were a shameless promoter. I see lots of comments from people who just love these products. Sounds like a really good and innovative company.

Jeff

QuoteI'm sure they can be destroyed by abuse too, no?

Certainly.
What they have going for them, is that what you might consider abuse to a wood handled tool, is still within the allowable working limits of the LogRites.   You can have tools, good tools, and better tools. The logrite is the Better Tool.  You might never stick a wood handled canthook under a big log and try to pry it up to but a shim under it on a bandmill, but never think twice about using a logrite to do that very thing.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2013, 02:58:26 PM
A peavey is a prybar. They were designed with the ability to pry. They are meant to pry logs.

Agreed, but I wouldn't try to lift a conex with one. ;D

beenthere

loggah
True Temper was buttoned up shortly after Wilkinson Sword UK bought them out. WS was apparently on a mission to wipe out competition.
south central Wisconsin

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2013, 03:05:40 PM
QuoteI'm sure they can be destroyed by abuse too, no?

Certainly.
What they have going for them, is that what you might consider abuse to a wood handled tool, is still within the allowable working limits of the LogRites.   You can have tools, good tools, and better tools. The logrite is the Better Tool.  You might never stick a wood handled canthook under a big log and try to pry it up to but a shim under it on a bandmill, but never think twice about using a logrite to do that very thing.

Understood, and a good point. Do you know the difference in force they will take,  roughly (2X.3X...?)??

beenthere

The logrite handles are made to spec, whereas the wood handles cannot be made to an exact (or even close) spec as there is too much variability between and within species as well as trees of a single species. Straightness of grain is but one variable within a tree, as is density and growth rates. All affect bending strength and toughness.
So a bit fruitless to say 2x, 3x for a comparison.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

Beenthere, who knows his stuff, (retired from forest products lab)  said it better than I could.

My answer was, I'm just a happy consumer, not the manufacturer. I'm 300 lbs, over 6 foot and have never bent mine while trying to lift (actually push down and pry up) something I was not strong enough to lift. I was the weak point. I've used mine to lever up a boat and boat trailer to change a tire, when we didn't have a jack, I've used it for all kinds of things.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2013, 03:54:57 PM
Beenthere, who knows his stuff, (retired from forest products lab)  said it better than I could.

My answer was, I'm just a happy consumer, not the manufacturer. I'm 300 lbs, over 6 foot and have never bent mine while trying to lift (actually push down and pry up) something I was not strong enough to lift. I was the weak point. I've used mine to lever up a boat and boat trailer to change a tire, when we didn't have a jack, I've used it for all kinds of things.

Thanks. Sounds relatively indestructible with reasonable use.

thurlow

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 18, 2013, 02:54:33 PM

I suppose next you'll be telling us that your wife doesn't think a table knife can be used as a screwdriver.   ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm the guy who  uses his wood shop chisels for screw drivers and cleaning bricks.  :D
I've used my Logrite cant hook for moving things I don't even want to talk about for fear of hearing, "ARE YOU CRAZY!"   :D
Short story long.....I could not have done some of the things I do without the handle Logrite uses.
It's just my personal preference, wooden handle don't suit me.  :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: thurlow on January 18, 2013, 04:01:50 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 18, 2013, 02:54:33 PM

I suppose next you'll be telling us that your wife doesn't think a table knife can be used as a screwdriver.   ;D

Not without me growling at her..... ;D ::)

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

After I finish the dishes, she finds things for me to fix........ :-[ :) :) :)

Nomad

My comments on the peavey/canthook/LogRite issue.  I prefer a peavey unless I'm just turning a cant on the mill.  Then I'd rather use a canthook.
     As to LogRite...  (Keep in mind I'm just a monkey here with no sponsors and no axe to grind.)
     I've been bending a wrench for a living for about 40 years.  And I've bent a lot of 'em.  I've been working with logging tools just about as long.  Up until a few years ago they were all wood handled.
     I collect old woodworking tools and they don't sit on shelves; they all get used.  Many are mostly or all wood.  But I no longer own a wooden handled peavey or canthook.
     I've got half a dozen or so and every one is a LogRite.  I work with 'em every day and I just don't have time for second rate tools.  I don't doubt some traditional wooden handled tools are just as good!  I simply haven't found one yet, and don't intend to go out of my way looking for one.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

Only problem with Logrite is their so pilferable.I keep mine in the truck cab with my chainsaw and metal detector.It helps if you spray paint the handle an odd ugly pattern. Frank C.

mad murdock

That'll be the next innovation bandmiller2, a Logrite with "LoJack" built in.  For an extra few bucks they will throw in one of them fancy keyless button thingys to turn it on, off, or make it chirp so you can figure out where you set it down last :D

Okrafarmer

I don't remember the specifics, but I believe I read that the Peavey bros. invented the Peavey specifically for the log drives. They looked down from a bridge on the Penobscot River near or in Bangor, and watched the river men trying desperately to dislodge a log jam, using cant hooks, and or pike poles, and possibly other tools, common or improvised.d. They realized the men needed a better tool combining the cant hook with a spike on the end. The spike could be thrust between logs to separate them, even when they were under pressure, whereas a standard cant hook... cant.

Magicman

I have been at the Cabin for a couple of days, but I see that we are alive and well here on this thread.    :)

I have mentioned this before in a similar thread, but I will repeat.  I had never seen the need to spend the $$$ to replace my cant hooks and peaveys.  I had one pipe handled cant hook that was arched correctly and would really grab a log.  None of the others would grab anything.  I had heated and bent the hooks, but they still were not right.

The pipe handled cant hook in the center is the only one that was arched correctly to grab a log.

Then at the 2011 Pig Roast, my number was drawn and I became a Logrite owner.  Kevin and Tammy replaced the peavey with a 60" cant hook.

I simply could not believe how much better of a tool that it was.  It was so much better than what I had been using for so many years, that I ordered two 48" Logrites.

There is no hook tearing out and slipping and having to re-set the hook.  The fact is, they are arched correctly and do the job.

SwampDonkey

I've got two Logrite peavies and I gave a couple away to our local woodlot owner organization as door prizes. ;D

thecfarm

When my ship comes in   :D,I'll get a Logrite. When it does I won't be at the dock with my luck.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2013, 09:18:54 PM
When my ship comes in   :D,I'll get a Logrite. When it does I won't be at the dock with my luck.

:D cfarm, Logrites don't come to us on ships, they're made in the USA!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 19, 2013, 09:30:14 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2013, 09:18:54 PM

:D cfarm, Logrites don't come to us on ships, they're made in the USA!

Mine was shipped.  say_what

thecfarm

and only a few states away too. I have a quart mason jar just about full of quarters. How many quarters are in a quart mason jar? My ship might be on the horizon.

SwampDonkey

Mine to, and they never sunk the ship at the border. :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 19, 2013, 09:33:38 PM
and only a few states away too. I have a quart mason jar just about full of quarters. How many quarters are in a quart mason jar? My ship might be on the horizon.

You have enough 1/4's to buy 1.

Be sure you tell them you are a FF member. You get free shipping!

thecfarm

On may 17 in Bangor Maine I will be at the dock.  ;D
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62949.0.html
I maybe walking side ways with a pocket full of quarters. I want a peavey,blue one,fiberglass handle,60 inches.
http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/Fiberglass-Handle-60inch-Peavey
The handle is only 1.5 inches on the fiberglass handles. How big are the aluminum handles?

Okrafarmer

I think I want a pickeroon next!

WDH

bandmiller2

Okra,make your own DanGed pickaroon.Get a pick, that no one uses anymore, with a cutting torch cut one pick side off trim the outher shorter and thinner.Forge it hot with a hammer to a slight curve and a pyramid point.You will have a better stronger one than you can buy. Frank C.

Jeff

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 20, 2013, 08:25:20 AM
Okra,make your own DanGed pickaroon.Get a pick, that no one uses anymore, with a cutting torch cut one pick side off trim the outher shorter and thinner.Forge it hot with a hammer to a slight curve and a pyramid point.You will have a better stronger one than you can buy. Frank C.

Frank, do you have a logrite hookaroon?

bama20a

What in the cat hair is a hookaroon or pickaroon?  ???
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

beenthere

Either a hook or a pick on a handle.

See the Logrite site in the sponsor column and there is a pic there.
south central Wisconsin

bama20a

Now thanks to beenthere,I'm one smart fellow.I know what a hookaroon is. ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Jeff

The logrite hookaroon is a huge improvement from the old styles. Soon after we put the logrite hookaroons on the green chain for the guys to use, the old ones, that were continuously having to be reshaped, or sharpened were done away with. I didn't even bother keeping one for a wall hanger.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2013, 01:11:01 PM
The logrite hookaroon is a huge improvement from the old styles. Soon after we put the logrite hookaroons on the green chain for the guys to use, the old ones, that were continuously having to be reshaped, or sharpened were done away with. I didn't even bother keeping one for a wall hanger.

This has been an interesting thread. Jeff and some of you other 'ol timers know alot about vintage logging tools. :)

But my question is this: Do you have any ideas for a new tool that could be made to help us move or position a log more easily.......or has everything been invented and we can close the book?

Magicman

Everything has not been invented yet, but I do not know what the next invention will be.  If I did, I would be at the Patent Office.

loggah

There are a few sawyer cant dog rolling tools made by Jamison in Canaan N.H. , a bark spud ,hookeroon ,pulp hook, and scratch hook in this picture. The double bit crusier axe came that way with the wrong handle in it, and an original peavey made in Oakland Maine ,without a pike. Don

Jeff

loggah, I have a CCC broad axe that is the same way, came with the wrong handle.  I talked to an old boy a few years ago, and he told me that a lot of times the axe heads, and handles arrived separately, and an axe might get what ever handle was available.  The one I have, was stuck behind the door in a store room in an old ranger station and was never used.

SwampDonkey

I haven't had time to look at my uncle's tools he had left around the old shed and garage. But I was sure he had one at least. His uncle made handles, so there would be a proper handle in it. I don't know how much stuff he has given away when he knew he was dying. I know a lot of stuff had walked off those few weeks. He was a bid odd in his ways, giving stuff away to strangers and not family. Yep, odd.

Thank You Sponsors!