iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sorry, this sawing is pretty cool...

Started by mmartone, January 15, 2013, 08:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I'm having a good time milling some of these logs, sorry if I'm a PITA. Heres a log we did this evening, the cant made 5 2x10x16' pieces. After the cuts we flipped the logs over and found this beautiful heart all the way up the log.

Dont make fun of my engine, it was on the mill when I bought it.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

mesquite buckeye

Very cool. What wood is it? ??? ??? ::)

Looks like an old honey locust.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

rooster 58

Awesome wood!  Looks similar to larch, without the knots ;)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: mmartone on January 15, 2013, 08:38:05 PM
Long leaf yellow pine...

Is that funky, or normal for that tree? I've never seen one cut open.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dgdrls

Dandy looking planks!!

What year and model is your Mill?

DGDrls

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

haywire woodlot

Quote from: mmartone on January 15, 2013, 08:21:07 PM

Dont make fun of my engine, it was on the mill when I bought it.

I wouldn't dream of making fun of it, but what is it?
Dave

Bogue Chitto

I have cut long leaf also.  Its  fine wood.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

You'll be just as excited when you mill you 1,000th awesome log! :) :)

mmartone

Some of them have that dark heart on them, not all. The engine is a military surplus opposed 4 cyl 84 cid, just like a small aircraft engine. The mill is an 86 lt4 manual. It only cuts to 2" not 1" like the flyer says that came with it, just gotta plan ahead!

Magicman

Well said Jack.  Every log is a box of chocolates.

mm, do you know why it will not drop below 2"?  What is hitting what? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mmartone

Theres some framework on the up/down carrige that stops on the rail guard over the top rod. The scale only goes down to 2" also.

Jeff

My 1987 LT30 won't go below 3". It may have been 2" at one time. It was just how the early mills were made. You can't saw to the bed. It can be a real pain in the butt when you have to keep putting stock under the wood you are sawing, if only sawing boards.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trapper

My LT30 manual of about the same vintage as Jeffs will go to 1inch.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

LeeB

Couldn't you add some height to the bunks? Possibly something out of aluminum or ss square tubing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Cedarman

It would be possible to add 1" of metal to the bed rails and the slides at the end.  Those old mills were designed to only go down to 2". I don't know the reason.  It was a happy day when I put in our 96 mill with hyd.  Don't miss that old LT30, but it is still sawing today about 15 miles away and the owner is happy as can be with it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

OK, I was/am not familiar with the specifications of the older sawmills.  I certainly would not modify the sawmill, but I would be looking toward building a jig.   smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Nice wood but that engine had me captivated ,glad you told us what it was.How about parts.Can you still get them.
al glenn

mesquite buckeye

The easy way to deal with this is to stick a 1" board under your 2" board to make the last cut. Make sure it is a good one, or you end up with 3 crooked boards.

The mill I borrow in Missouri works like that. I think it is the old original Woodmizer design. :(

mmartone

Parts are available here.
http://www.saturnsurplus.com/4a084.htm

ITs smooth being an opposed, but I need some decent 1.5" mufflers for it.

I havent tried putting aboard under it, still have to do something about the stops, the are less than 1" tall

isawlogs

Take a 1 inch board and screw a 2x4 on edge to its side. First 2 inch board you cut in two the 2x4 will be cut and leave you with a board stop for futur use  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Per MM and isawlogs, we used to use a similar jig (just a 2" base with a 1" fence for a lip). Would only clamp the jig and just set the cant on top. Leave the saw set for the 1" board and pull the board after each cut.

Also worked quite well for processing the quarters of logs when making 1/4 sawn too.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!