iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Article-"King Of The Androscoggin"

Started by JDeere, January 15, 2013, 07:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

mad murdock

That man was one tough old bird!  Aguy could only hope to accomplish half the things Mr. Landry did in his long life and be happy, thanks for posting!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

g_man

Thanks for posting. I fish the Andro quite regularly and there is still a lot of evidence around of those old log drives. It is fun to think about the things described in your article.

coxy

that was a asome story wonder if thay have more storys on him we here in ny dont have logging storys  mostly only on the the 4 foot wood 4 the assed factorys  thanks

JDeere

Coxy, if you want to read a great book about logging characters, read "Tall Trees, Tough Men" by Robert Pike. I am not a big book reader but it was one I couldn't put down. I think it is long out of print but you can easily get on e-bay.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

loggah

I have a few of Robert Pikes things in my mini-museum, a pickaroon and set of spiked boots. They came out of his house in Waterford VT.he also wrote the book "SPIKED BOOTS" .
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offthebeatenpath

Both Pike books (Tall Trees, Tough Men and Spiked Boots) are easily available in reprint and great reads.  Another one that is out of print and more difficult/more expensive to find is "Pines and Pioneers" by Wynifred Staples Smith.  It paints a vivid picture of the Androscoggin River Valley in the early 1800's and tells the story of two pioneer families that moved from Greene to Webb Lake (now Weld) in search of mast pines.  Their decades long dream culminates with a huge timber harvest that was driven from Webb River down the Androscoggin to Bath.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

torqueporting

The following video recording is excellent for those who like history of Berlin NH.

"At The River's Edge: An Oral History of Berlin, New Hampshire"

Thank You Sponsors!