iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SOLAR OR DH?

Started by rs1626, March 31, 2004, 05:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs1626

I AM NEW TO DRYING HAVE READ A LOT ON BOTH SOLAR AND DH DRYING WOULD LIKE TO HERE WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE THINKS ON WHICH WAY TO GO

Den Socling

If you want the cheapest setup, go solar.
If you want dependable drying, go DH.
If you're talking about a couple hundred bf a year, probably solar.
If you're talking about a couple thousand bf a year, you probably want DH.
If you're setting up a kiln in Manitoba, you probably want DH.
If you're setting up a kiln in Arizona, you could look at solar.

The point is this. It all depends on your situation.

old3dogg

Not knowing a lot about either drying method I would have to go with DH.Only because I feel that one would have more control over the drying process.

rs1626

MAYBE DRYING 4-5 THOUSAND FEET A YEAR LOCATED IN OHIO

Larry

Borderline on the capacity.  My solar kiln is built for 1,000 BF loads of 10' long lumber.  I can always dry 3 loads of oak in a year and sometimes 4 in north Missouri.  Sometimes I only have 8' long lumber so that reduces the capacity.  Light-colored woods like maple, ash, and basswood need to dry fast to maintain the color and prevent sticker stain so that restricts you to the hotter months for them.  Oak and walnut can be dried year round.  Cheap to build and easy to operate.

Even the smallest DH kiln will dry a lot more lumber in a year.  I have an Ebac L800.  Also, have had lumber dried in a Nyle LD200.

Never noticed any difference in quality so long as you follow a few rules.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rs1626

how do you like your ebac would you buy another one if you needed more capacity

Larry

I got the Ebac used and cheap just to try out DH drying.  Really want to buy a new Nyle someday.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!