2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Woodhauler

The Madden boys up in milford maine built one a few years back on a TJ Skidder.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Timbercruiser

Looks pretty slick anyway. No more landing man with a power saw !!!

Dave Shepard

I've always wondered how the trucks got loaded that way so nice and neat. Big hammer. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treefarmer87

that circle saw is fast :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

beenthere

Dave
Some have large cylinders that the trucker drives between and they straighten the load.

I've seen a pic or two posted here on the forum, if I recall correctly. The cylinders look like sections of culvert on end.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

Used to be just about every logger UP here had a slasher on the landing to buck and sort logs. Now there isn't nearly as many as a lot of the guys have gone to CTL machines.

shinnlinger

That is a nice operation....   One question I have is Whats the advantage of putting the loader on a skidder chassis?(unless thats all you have around)  I would think it wouldn't be much of an advantage to be able to go deeper in the woods than the semi trucks it is supposed to load.  Most times an old semi tractor is cheaper than a skidder
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

mad murdock

That is one SKOOKUM setup 8) they are putting up some wood on that job. Never sen one skidder mounted, great idea!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

coxy

awsome cant wait to tell pop what hes going to build me  in his off time lol

loggah

It is a neat setup ,but a regular 664 is pretty tippy, that one with the loader better be on absolutely flat ground.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

deastman

Quote from: shinnlinger on January 14, 2013, 10:56:09 PM
That is a nice operation....   One question I have is Whats the advantage of putting the loader on a skidder chassis?(unless thats all you have around)  I would think it wouldn't be much of an advantage to be able to go deeper in the woods than the semi trucks it is supposed to load.  Most times an old semi tractor is cheaper than a skidder
[/quoteA friend of mine mounted a crane and slasher on a 380 Timberjack and it works great. The loader operator doesnt have to keep climbing down to move the crane carrier, can do it right from the crane cab, also the skidder chassis is great for driving into the ditch near the wood piles and not getting stuck in wet weather or especially in the winter on icy roads. Also nice to have a blade on the front to clean the road out or push a stuck truck and trailer
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

chevytaHOE5674

Back when slashers were popular many of them were mounted on old military 6x6 frames with the motor removed. A large hydraulic motor was fixed to the front of the transmission and then the operator could move the slasher around easily from the comfort of his cab. Most also had/have a fold down framework in the front with a 5th wheel pin so a semi tractor could back under them and move them job to job easily.

lumberjack48

This was the way a lot of-em did it around here 40+ yrs ago.

They had a hitch and wet hook ups on the back of the loader truck. With the loader mounted on the back, backup to the slasher hookup and your slashing wood.

If your a logger thats doing your own sorting and hauling, a slasher is a good way to go.
  If your hiring your hauling done, this is just another piece of equipment to run and have upkeep on.
  The Company payed me $6. a cord to buck wood up. The best day i had i bucked up 76 cords with a 90 Jonsered. So i never found bunking wood with a chainsaw a issue.
  I personally never found a need for one, but in the right situation its the only way to go. There used to be guys around here thats all they did was go from job to job slashing wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

loggah

We had a S-182 hood and hood slasher ,mounted on a trailer,if we wanted to move it in the yard we used the grapple skidder,or cable skidder both worked. the good thing about a trailer was you could stack wood all over it ,with a truck chassis you had to keep your sorts away from the cab,and also just another engine to start in cold weather.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lumberjack48

When i say loader truck, this a tandem or a ti-axle, that was also used for hauling when not slashing wood. When slashing, they'd sort at the same time, loading pulpwood or saw bolts on the truck and piling the other.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

shinnlinger

Yeah I can't see that skidder doing too much extra except haul itself around on FLAT ground with that loader on the back
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!