iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ax Men Show

Started by rvolek, January 14, 2013, 12:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvolek

Hi All,  I started watching this show way back when it first came on tv. I found it very educational beacause I never seen that process of logging done before. With the yarder and skyline and such. But as the years went by, I find myself watching less and less. To the point where I get so irritated to watch for about 15 min. Mainly due to all the fighting, arguing, and every other word there is a "beep". Is this truly the way these operations are run? Or is this show portraying a bad image for logging out fits?
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

CTL logger

Can't stand the show it's all staged B.S. I was changing channels last night and happened upon it as the boat they were towing flips over it seems funny just happens to be a camera on the tailgate for of truck to capture the whole thing. The crews who agree to do the show IMO must be real losers, I would' by let any TV producer make me act like a moron, I'd quit the show before put someone's or my own life in jeopardy. A friend of mine talked to Bobby Goodson at a logging show and he said he had to quit doing it because the producers wanted him and Justin to act like the motorcycle show father and son, he said no so they said goodbye I thought that was a pretty honest show but in 2013 honesty, hardwork and integrity don't sell.

loggah

There a bunch of idiots giving loggers a bad name !!!! and i'm sure most of it is just for the "SHOW"   If i ever had employees like some of them they would be down the road so fast they would never even know they went to work !!! On another note Mike Pihl  of  Pihl logging that used to be on axemen ,has worked getting donkey engines and other logging artifacts out of the woods for logging museums. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

WH_Conley

Staged BS. I watched too, when it first came on. Can't stand it now.
Bill

Jeff

There are plenty of anti-axmen topics on the forum. I should probably find one to merge this one with.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rvolek

I figured there would have been other posts somewhere on the site about this show. I guess I'm not the only non-supporter of it. I did enjoy the Swamp Logger and American Logger Series quite a bit. Your right about hard work and ethics are tossed out the window these days. All about the drama!! Gotta love this American Ride!!
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

coxy

cant agree more with every one get it of T.V

Magicman

It was educational to a point with me because I had no idea how lines were set and the equipment needed to harvest trees in that rugged terrain.  Beyond that, it became "cussin n draggin".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello All,

I'm not, nor have I ever been what I would call a professional logger,  I can teach the rigging, and many of the techniques, so over the years I have met many.  In general a fine group of courageous, hardworking and often spiritually enlightened group of folks.  This show, and the History channel in general, has lost sight of there educational mission/mandate and has turned "Ax Men," into commercialized nonsense.

I have had consulting run ins with the History Channel twice in the last three years.  The first as a tech. consultant for Mountain Men, (way worse that Ax Men IMO,) and then for a new show, I pray they do not produce called, "Barn Again."  When they gave us the read-in outline of the show it was horrible and not worth going into detail, other than to say "extreme hype."

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

MReinemann

IMO I give a-lot of credit to Bobby Goodson for not giving into the history channel b.s.  All their shows now are more about the drama than what actually goes on.  I loved swamp loggers and just watching the equipment on t.v.  Axe men is all staged...       Just my 2 cents.
-Matt

lumberjack48

Its just another TV show, other wise don't you think Osha would be out there.

I didn't watch it for awhile, because i thought it was based on how we operate. Now that i know its just another TV show based on drama, i have to watch it every week to see whats going to happen next.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lynde37avery

ive allways wanted to see a real modern day logging documentary show. cable skidder loggers like the way ive learned. and horse teams and oxen. maybe a few mechanized crews to show. but none of that yarder junk. its boring and the show is definatly staged.
Detroit WHAT?

semologger

i havent watched it in years also to much drama. The aqau logger didnt look like he was doing to good. He had gall bladder cancer right?

colincb183

The other week a processor operator swung a tree around and hit the guy pulling chokers, "on purpose". Then they turned it around and made the guy that got hit by the tree the bad guy. If thats not B.S. I don't know what is.

Corley5

I used to defend the non sense as entertainment.  Now I can't watch it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

deastman

Quote from: semologger on January 14, 2013, 08:06:13 PM
i havent watched it in years also to much drama. The aqau logger didnt look like he was doing to good. He had gall bladder cancer right?
The aqua logger did pass away from cancer
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

CTL logger

There are so many "Real loggers" all over the country why don't they go to different operations and show them. Not a bunch of morons in swamps playing it up for the camera the fan page is nothing but comment after comment about how Shelby's the best and needs his own show give him one that would be an improvement. ;D

sparky

Ax Men is supposed to be a "reality" show. My friend's son is a student at a college campus where they filmed a reality show. He knew one of the people in the show. Prior to the start of filming, she was given a "shopping list" of stunts she could do to earn extra cash. If she drank enough to get sick, she got $1000. There were other dollar figures for other stunts. The end result of any show like that would be far from real reality. I bet that the players in Ax Men get $X for each cuss word they spout, and for fights, etc.! I quit watching a long time ago.  Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

terry f

I get dumber with each episode, but I'll still watch it next sunday. Can't take the idiots down south, but when they cut to the northwest you might see some big trees and scenery. To bad about Jimmy Smith.

deastman

It's too bad that a show like Ax Men is kept on tv and real shows like Swamp Loggers and American Loggers get canceled. The Goodson's and the Pelletier's are hard working and down to earth and really represent what logging is all about. Miss watchin the Pelletiers and those massive loads they haul on the Golden Road!
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

thecfarm

No drama in the Goodson and Pelletier shows. I will never forget on the Pelletier show,something happened and the truck had to be reloaded,logs was on the other side of the truck and the loader could not really see on the other side. He pinched the tire on the logging truck. No cuss words at all. The driver and the loader man changed the tire in a nice civil way. This was at winter temps too,right beside the road.
I really did enjoy the Ax Man show the first year. Very educational for someone that has never seen west coast logging. I learned alot and was able to understand what some of the equipment was used for and why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdonovan

Quote from: deastman on January 15, 2013, 08:28:29 AM
It's too bad that a show like Ax Men is kept on tv and real shows like Swamp Loggers and American Loggers get canceled. The Goodson's and the Pelletier's are hard working and down to earth and really represent what logging is all about.

not much drama with people with a good work ethic, and a friendly disposition. Make for a good boss, and co-worker, but bad tv.

Jay C. White Cloud

Say's something about ignorant tv producers and the audience they want to target.  I've tried to explain what many of us want to watch.  The general response, watch public broadcasting, because our advertisers want drama.  It's why I don't watch tv.  Wish more Americans would stop, it might send a message to the industry.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

coxy

deastman u are wright i forgot about swamp loggers and american loggers thay were down to earth i liked whene the drive went out of the cutter of swamp logger thay draind the oil one the ground and filled it with cup grease thats me but not draining the oil on the ground D.E.C here in ny would have a field day with that

clww

I, too enjoyed "Ax Men" the first two years, but not after. Too much made-up crap and turmoil. As I previously wrote on some other thread awhile back, "Swamp Loggers" wasn't renewed because the producers wanted extra drama added/invented for ratings. As if the show wasn't interesting enough?!? Bobby told them NO Way! See you later TV film crews. I applaud his decision.
My favorite reality show? "Duck Dynasty".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!