iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replacing split rims

Started by james, January 14, 2013, 10:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

looking at an old cat grader(gears rather than hyd for blade control) only problem I can see with it is the tires are on split rims and in need of replacing will be using for maint on 5 miles of non county maint road it has a d-4 motor looks to be sound , but old, the local tire places wont even work on split rims anymore where to get new rims any sugestions?
james

NWP

Look for a truck/wheel supply place near you.  We have one near us and I bought a replacement skid steer wheel from them.  Half the price of the dealer.  Not the right color, but a rattle can of OE paint is cheap.  I would think somewhere like this would be able to point you in the right direction.  They can figure out what wheel you need by measurements.  AA Wheel and Truck Parts in Kansas City is who I use.  Not sure where you are located.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

steamsawyer

Hey James,

If you could find a used set of wheels the right size you can cut the dishes out of your old wheels and transplant into the newer ones.

Are you talking about lock ring wheels or the old suicide rims? Lock ring wheels are the way to go. Much easier to change one of those old stiff tiers... But don't paint the snaprings or their groves.

I used to build rims for graders and loaders by rolling the band, welding the flanges on and making a bolt on outer bead.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

flyboy16101

I have a payloader with split rims luckly the tire shop up the road still dose split rims but the owner will not let his employes touch them so some times you have to wait a few days till he can get to them himself. I've heard of a couple truck stops that still change them but it seams like its becoming a lost art. With a little luck and maybe a short drive you can find someone who still changes them, as far as finding different wheels I would try an equipment junk yard I've always had good luck at the couple around me the only down fall is I always end up bringing home a bunch of odd ball junk that I might be able to use someday.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Al_Smith

I'm not certain but I think on over the road trucks if they are legally permitted to work on split rims .I think they can still be used but not on the steering axles .By now though I would think the tires if original would be outdated as per DOT rules .

I've changed 38" splits on old tractors which were rare even way back .They are a job I'll say that  but no more than any other 38" rim .

I wouldn't think that grader is very large though with a D4 engine .Even so it would still be a job splits or not .

I think I've got maybe 6 22" splits with tires from a Chevy ton and a half with the entire front axle that some day I plan on making a log arch out of .Lawd only knows I do have some junk now .

hardtailjohn

Split rims are legal in all positions on a truck.
That being said, you're talking lock rings instead of "split rims" on your grader. I don't think you'd have such a problem finding a place to change the tires. At least around here (Montana) there aren't many that deal in heavy equipment tires that wouldn't work on lock rings.  Have you contacted the tire stores and asked specifically about them?
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Beaudeane

Www.Ntts.com will show u tire guys u never heard bout by radius to ur search. I'm sure u can find one on there to take care of u.... Call more than one as prices can vary widely on service work like that
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

james

thanx for the replies, was in part checking how much of a problem it would be to replace the tires , which are nearly bald ,one of the front is coming apart , he said it has a set of chains with it ,wants 3500 but likes to dicker ;D ;D
james

Thank You Sponsors!