iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot part Deux

Started by mesquite buckeye, January 13, 2013, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on January 14, 2013, 11:46:31 PM
Sycamore

Does look a little like it. The ray figure on this one is much larger.

smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky fly_smiley help_me
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 15, 2013, 12:39:07 AM
Arizona Alder?

Lilac? (Green Grow the Lilacs. . . .)

Our alder looks sort of like a pinky birch.....

Never saw Lilac wood.

::) ::) ::)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 15, 2013, 04:07:49 AM
Can't think of any wood that is light weight, ring porous and with ray figure. Must be some kind of large shrub. Is it honey mesquite Prosopis glandulosa, something crazy like that? :D

Much crazier than that.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 14, 2013, 11:36:17 PM
Saguaros cactus?

We have a winner.

smiley_clapping       smiley_sidelightbulb smiley_hellow_im_here fire_smiley smiley_beertoast smiley_biggrin01 smiley_indianbrave smiley_horserider smiley_smash smiley_smash smiley_smash

mesquite buckeye

Hard to get much of a board unless it was a really big one.....

Okrafarmer

What? You have got to be kidding!

Like I said, I don't know anything about the southwest, but never in my wildest dreams did I think a cactus could actually have wood in it!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 14, 2013, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 14, 2013, 07:03:20 PM
Clue #6:

Most everybody knows this tree.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hmm. Trying to dig out my guide to western trees. Why is it so hard to find things around here?  ??? ::) :-\

That was our biggest clue. It even crossed my mind, but I never thought a cactus was much different from an okra pod inside.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

mesquite buckeye

They grow in a ring of wood near the outside of the stem. The individual ribs are under each ridge that you can see on the outside. They start out circular in cross section, and grow larger each year, just as any tree would, mostly on the outside, but eventually all these ribs grow together to form a nearly solid cylinder of wood near the base of an old mature plant that can reach 6" or more in depth. After one dies, you can occasionally beat the termites to the wood and get a nice piece.   The younger ribs that are 1/2 - 1 1/2" in diameter were used traditionally to support roofs in adobe homes. They are now used decoratively when you can get them in furniture, shutters and ceilings in southwestern themed homes and restaurants.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 15, 2013, 10:38:00 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 14, 2013, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 14, 2013, 07:03:20 PM
Clue #6:

Most everybody knows this tree.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hmm. Trying to dig out my guide to western trees. Why is it so hard to find things around here?  ??? ::) :-\

That was our biggest clue. It even crossed my mind, but I never thought a cactus was much different from an okra pod inside.  :-\

Now you know. All large, columnar cacti have some variation of this construction inside them.

They are pretty cool.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

mesquite buckeye

Now, after those easy ones, I need to find a hard one for QQJ#3.  No? ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 15, 2013, 10:52:29 AM

yikes_smiley  hurt_smiley

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 15, 2013, 05:37:03 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 15, 2013, 10:52:29 AM

yikes_smiley  hurt_smiley

So here we go. I'm putting up #3 right now.

Paul_H

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 13, 2013, 12:43:34 PM
Which tree am I ??? ??? ???

Saguaros cactus is a tree? We have small cacti here in BC,are they also considered a tree?
I'm trying to keep an open mind to create a door where there never was one before  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

That was done just to throw ya off the trail. No door there.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Saguaro Cacti are found in my western tree book. I just wish my western tree book would be found soon so I could better participate in this saga!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Paul_H on January 19, 2013, 05:34:09 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 13, 2013, 12:43:34 PM
Which tree am I ??? ??? ???

Saguaros cactus is a tree? We have small cacti here in BC,are they also considered a tree?
I'm trying to keep an open mind to create a door where there never was one before  :P

Why not? Woody inside, perennial, single trunk to about 8-10 ft, up to 50 ft tall. Lots of tropical trees aren't all that woody. :) :) :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 19, 2013, 07:22:34 PM
Saguaro Cacti are found in my western tree book. I just wish my western tree book would be found soon so I could better participate in this saga!

We'll get you one that's not in any book.    smiley_biggrin01

Okrafarmer

Then I'll start digging out trees from my trip to Yap, and we may just find one or two that don't even have a scientific name yet! (eeee, ok, I exaggerated, but only just barely).

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 21, 2013, 12:21:49 AM
Then I'll start digging out trees from my trip to Yap, and we may just find one or two that don't even have a scientific name yet! (eeee, ok, I exaggerated, but only just barely).

Those are harder to find. I was just thinking of wood not in any reference collections.... ;D

SwampDonkey

There a few lesser species and especially not stuff like cacti in tree books. They really don't grow the same, kinda like trying to put palms in there. Just don't work out that way. NA commercial woods are only mentioned in Wood Technology books to. Not many cacti and palms being logged for construction and trim.

But with that being said, it's always a good challenge to figure things out since this is a plant ID thread, and wood ID.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 21, 2013, 11:20:00 AM
There a few lesser species and especially not stuff like cacti in tree books. They really don't grow the same, kinda like trying to put palms in there. Just don't work out that way. NA commercial woods are only mentioned in Wood Technology books to. Not many cacti and palms being logged for construction and trim.

But with that being said, it's always a good challenge to figure things out since this is a plant ID thread, and wood ID.

Mostly, although saguaro ribs are used a lot for furniture and high end home detail work in the SW US.

An interesting side note; When I was in school many decades ago at the University of Arizona, in the reference collection for the Forestry Dept. dendrology class were three big pieces of saguaro wood.
Mostly for fun, but a common species in the area, for sure.

Lots of the things I have or will post will have minimal commercial appeal, but I think there is a place for these woods as novelty/specialty woods, and especially for marquetry, since lots of them are really unique in color and texture.

I need to get a really tough one ready......   :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

I have some slices from a piece of wood I found perched 15 feet above the canyon bottom on a huge boulder left by one our big floods in 1983. Took me 15 years to figure out what it was, since it wasn't in any of the books. Sure pretty, though.... ::) ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!