iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white cedar

Started by trapper, January 13, 2013, 10:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Can I plant white cedar in tree tubes to protect them from deer until they get big enough to fend for themselves?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Clark

If by tree tubes you mean the plastic ones with very little ventilation then no.  For some reason conifers do not grow well in those more solid ones.  Hardwoods yes but no conifers.  There are options for conifers though, typically the tubes are more of a mesh design to keep the deer off them.  Depending on what your are doing fencing might be an easier option.  There was a paper (that I now can't find) published that had areas of 5x5, 6x6 and 7x7 meters fenced with snow fencing or some equivalent.  It kept the deer out and in certain situations could be a better option than individual tree protection.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Biodegradeable Vexar

From Col State

"Tubes of Vexar netting around individual seedlings are an effective method to reduce deer damage to small trees. The material degrades in sunlight and breaks down in three to five years. These tubes can protect just the growing terminals or can completely enclose small trees. Attach tubes to a support stake to keep them upright."

PDF formatted fact sheet

We used them when reforesting western red cedar to protect against Sitka deer browse.

Study on protection of Alaskan Cedar (yellow cypress) with Vexar from Sitka deer
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!