iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CTL advice

Started by craigc, January 13, 2013, 04:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc

An opportunity has come up for us to get into ctl, a large pine job to cut are teeth on.  After that we would mostly be in hardwoods.  Two machines that are being looked at, Timbco with a Logmax 9000 head and a Tigercat with a Logmax 7000.  Tigercat is newer and twice the money but the Timbco sounds like it has been well taken care of, need advice on what everyone thinks of these machines.  Both are non-leveling and well maintaned. 
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

Ken

The logmax heads have a great reputation around here.  Tigercat is also a common machine found in this area.  There have been some Timbco machines but they are not as prevalent and I know a couple of contractors who hated their Timbco.   I would suggest that dealer support and parts availability may help with your decision.  Both machines could cost you a fortune if they have not been looked after and if you can not find parts or support quickly. 

I made the decision to go CTL a couple of years ago after running cable skidders for years.  Although the first year was a real challenge due to the steep learning curve this year has been much better.  I'm really glad I made the switch.  Good luck with your decision and keep us informed.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

CTL logger

What model numbers are the machines, what year,how many hours? I know a guy here has a  05 timbco 425 exl with a rolly 2 on it that's for sale I could give ya his number if interested.

snowstorm

if the timco dose not level then its a 415. taking the jump to ctl is a gamble a big one. the more you spend the bigger the risk. you must be able to fix it yourself. and it isnt just changing a hose once an a while. there are computers. encoders. lots of small wire. electric valves. its a whole new world after a while youll get used to it. then you would never go back. i got lucky when i bought my setup it was a repo so the price was right. and i could fix it. if you cant work on it you got no bussiness owning it. hireing repairs will bury fast. seems odd a 9000 logmax on a 415 the 9 is a big head. the tigercat would be my choice 7000xt head?? there is a new one forsale in northern me for $450000

Dom

In my area, the tigercat/logmax 7000 was a popular choice. Do any of the heads have the optional topsaw installed?  Apparently it comes in handy for hardwood harvesting.  The 9000 is heavier built and is well suited for hardwood.
You may want to call your local Logmax dealer, they should be able to point you to the proper machine for your needs.

craigc

The 9000 does have the topsaw option.  As far as support goes I would have good support for the logmax, but the carriers are going to be a matter of developing a relationship with a dealer I can trust.  No matter what every dealer is far away.  I am hoping to do most my own troubleshooting and anything that gets over my head I would rely on a good mechanic I have in the area.  He doesn't mind me helping him and learning to fix problems myself he stays plenty busy.

1270d

I've never had the opportunity to run a head with a topsaw but seems like it would be great in hardwood.

Which machine is more comfortable?  Sounds trivial but when your sitting in it 10 plus hours a day, not getting out more than once or twice to swap chains, comfort is productivity.

Kemper

What is a top chain & what's it purpose?

1270d

On some of the bigger heads there are two bar saws (one at the top and one at the bottom) vs the standard saw at the base.  It is used to top a stem after the last log is cut off.  This way on the last piece only a couple feet of feed is necessary.  It seems like it would also be handy for cutting crotches and big limbs in harwood.

Dom

Also check which computer systems are installed for the head.
Logmate and Motomit were most popular. Both are different, I would go with the one your dealer is most at ease with, and I think that would be Logmate.

snowstorm

logmax is now owned by komatsu

craigc

The Logmax on the Timbco is ran by a system that reads in inches not metric if that tells anyone anything about what it is.

CTL logger

What are they asking for either machine?

snowstorm

Quote from: craigc on January 13, 2013, 01:38:06 PM
The Logmax on the Timbco is ran by a system that reads in inches not metric if that tells anyone anything about what it is.
i think most can be programmed for either ft in or metric mine can along with several different languages 

snowstorm

Quote from: Ken on January 13, 2013, 07:33:21 AM
The logmax heads have a great reputation around here.  Tigercat is also a common machine found in this area.  There have been some Timbco machines but they are not as prevalent and I know a couple of contractors who hated their Timbco.   I would suggest that dealer support and parts availability may help with your decision.  Both machines could cost you a fortune if they have not been looked after and if you can not find parts or support quickly. 

I made the decision to go CTL a couple of years ago after running cable skidders for years.  Although the first year was a real challenge due to the steep learning curve this year has been much better.  I'm really glad I made the switch.  Good luck with your decision and keep us informed.
good to hear its working out for you. i did my best to talk you into it that day you came to look at mine. some days when all it working as it should it just seems to good to be true

Dom

Whichever machine you decide on, you may want to get training on how to operate the machine. We used to offer training courses for new operators so they would get as productive as possible with their equipment. Also showed them the available settings on the computer. The training also showed how to operate safely. Operating the saw out of alignment of the cab for example, in case the chain broke.

barbender

CTL processors have a steep learning curve, I'd definitely advise you to get some training, go watch someone operate that knows what they're doing.
Too many irons in the fire

CTL logger

Quote from: barbender on January 15, 2013, 10:35:12 PM
CTL processors have a steep learning curve, I'd definitely advise you to get some training, go watch someone operate that knows what they're doing.

I agree the learning curve with this equipment can put you under in a hurry, it's like nothing you've done before. I don't run dangle heads I've heard they're quite a bit more challenging I've only run fixed heads on tracked carriers. CTL is a completely different way to log I worked around it since 99 we used a 4 roller fabtek and grapple skidder seems so strange to look back how much better it would have been with a forwarder from the start. Just plan on having a lot of broken stuff I guess, I've always thought of each breakdown as a way to learn more about the head now my latest machine I put the head on myself with a couple of calls to woodland equipment, but it's been producing for 2 years now and I would install the next one if I need to.

1270d

Seems like a fixed head would be more like running a buncher, while dangle head is like a chainsaw.    I do all kinds of things with a dangle head like notching, limbing etc.   Dangler is really nice since you can fall trees any direction and angle.   Im sure fixed have their perks but I've never run one of those.

The learning curve involves bent bars mostly.  Just don't take on too big timber till you have the muscle memory. 

1270d

Does either of the machines have a slide boom?

snowstorm

ya bent bars and chains lost in the snow. one time the chain came off looked couldnt find it. a week later coming out on the same trail i see it hanging on a small fir tree. it was hunting season someone must have been in there hunting and found it and hung it on a limb

craigc

The Tigercat has a squirt boom, the Timbco doesnot. 

1270d

I personally would be lost without a squirt boom.  I use it constantly.

CTL logger

Quote from: 1270d on January 16, 2013, 08:32:06 PM
Seems like a fixed head would be more like running a buncher, while dangle head is like a chainsaw.    I do all kinds of things with a dangle head like notching, limbing etc.   Dangler is really nice since you can fall trees any direction and angle.   Im sure fixed have their perks but I've never run one of those.

The learning curve involves bent bars mostly.  Just don't take on too big timber till you have the muscle memory.
I haven't owned a dangle head , I have the disc saw bottom on my RollyII I can cut limbs off or leave the saw out and use it like a planer to shave off knots and limbs. I had a bar saw bottom before haven't missed it once no more bent bars, lost or broken chains, sharpening chains, trying to pour bar and chain oil in the tank when it's 0 out. The more your @$$ is in the seat the more wood you put on the ground if they made a dangle head with a disc saw I'd be all about it I'm just not a fan of bars and chains it's personal preference I think.

snowstorm

keto has a dangle head with a disc saw. quadco equipment .com. they have a few vids of the keto heads. take a look at the 150 tell me what you think of it. the 1000 is impressive. i know nobody likes axe men but ryguard runs a keto head

Thank You Sponsors!