iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Sycamore project

Started by rockman, January 12, 2013, 09:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I really like sycamore. I found I had a lot of waste on the trees I've cut. Some of it turned red and almost crumbled overnight.

I've been stickering cherry at 1' intervals lately.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I never knew sycamore was this pretty, sad to say I have passed up so much I am ashamed to say. I will get more envolved with sycamore from this point on.  thanks for the post.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

There has to be a happy medium with stickers. I almost wonder if you should start with stickers every 12" towards the bottom and about halfway up go to 24". The reason I say this is; say it takes x amount of pounds per linear foot of sticker to keep lumber straight. If you have 20 stickers between each layer, the weight is spread out more and you don't have as much holding force. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Norm

I've started doing the same as Dave on my stacking although mine don't look nearly as nice as his do.  :)

scsmith42

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 15, 2013, 02:01:16 AM
There has to be a happy medium with stickers. I almost wonder if you should start with stickers every 12" towards the bottom and about halfway up go to 24". The reason I say this is; say it takes x amount of pounds per linear foot of sticker to keep lumber straight. If you have 20 stickers between each layer, the weight is spread out more and you don't have as much holding force. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Jake, the total lbs per square foot is the same regardless of how closely it is stickered; however the pounds per square inch of sticker is lessened when you use more stickers.

Even with reduced pounds per square inch on the stickers, the fact that they are closely spaced helps to prevent minor wood movement.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

The weight, or force, applied to the sticker spreads out at a 45° angle from the sticker so having more sickers helps to deliver that weight more efficiently.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

AdamT

I've got 4 or 5 sycamore logs that I plan to Quarter saw Saturday. They're not real big, about 15".    Not sure which method I'll use once I start. If it goes well, I have a bunch of sycamore growing that are straight as an arrow, and 40' to the first limb

Dave Shepard, those stacks look awesome!
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

Sometimes with smaller logs, just taking the center 3, 4, or maybe 5, QS boards out of the cant centers and rift sawing the rest is the easiest and yields the most total lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rockman

OK, Today I restacked my sycamore with stickers on 18" centers, I was to danG tired to take photo's, but maybe tomorrow.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

fishpimp

Good stuff y'all ! I'm lookin forward to saw some myself!
It's beautiful !

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Norm on January 15, 2013, 07:54:40 AM
I've started doing the same as Dave on my stacking although mine don't look nearly as nice as his do.  :)

I use a stickering jig. I think I may have a thread somewhere about it. It has 9 posts on it, 24" apart. For the 12" spacing, I just eye balled the spacing between the posts. I cut grooves about 3/8" deep, and 1 3/8" wide on the post, as I use 1 1/4" wide stickers. This works really well for one person stickering. You just stick the sticker in the groove and line the near side up with the sticker from the layer below. It also keeps the stickers pretty much where they belong as you slide boards around on top. It took a few hours to build, but it has saved a ton of time. It also makes sure everybody else gets the spacing right. I don't need stacks with 24"-18"-29"-19" spacing. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

kelLOGg

An excellent and clever idea. My stickers get knocked out of place too easily and I have to walk around to re-position them. I see 4 notches on the bottom of your base beam. Is that for ratchet straps to bind the lumber tight? Easy to add more.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dave Shepard

Notches are for the forks on the Lull so I can move the jig around.

GeorgeK

Great Jig. I will get one made!
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

scsmith42

Two thumbs up re that jig!  Thanks for sharing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

I used EWP because that's what I had available, but a hardwood might be better, the screws on the bottom of the uprights have loosened a little. I used 6" Headlok screws.

Thank You Sponsors!