iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got big wood, but what is it?

Started by mmartone, January 11, 2013, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I got this big wood with a nice crotch, from a friend of mine and he thinks it was hickory, so what is it?

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

clww

From those pictures, I can't really tell. White Oak? Maple?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mmartone

Ok, that was the other possibility, oak. Was hoping for Hickory, I guess thats ok, I'll cut it anyway!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

clww

This sounds strange, but if it is fairly "light weight", I'd guess Maple. If it's on the heavy side, I'd be leaning towards something else.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mmartone

They guy that took it down is a tree service to, I figured he knew what it was. It heavy, not much maple around these parts.

WDH

It is a water oak or a willow oak.  Both are common in your neck of the woods.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on January 11, 2013, 09:50:17 PM
It is a water oak or a willow oak.  Both are common in your neck of the woods.

My instant thought too. You can make some passable lumber out of it if it isn't all rotten inside. How wide are the growth rings? Or do you have growth rings in Florida?  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

You can cut some fine lumber from well formed forest grown water oak and willow oak.    Here is a nice one in the River swamp that is over 40" in diameter and 120' tall.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I'm with WDH. My first impression was water/laurel/willow oak.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jay C. White Cloud

I know if they are like the one WHD just post a photo of, they hand plan/adz real nice (green or dry,) and I've seen a few floor with it too.

When you mill it, please show the inside.  Are you going quarter or rift mill it?

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Dodgy Loner

You've probably seen more than a few floors with it - I bet almost every red oak floor laid in the South has at least a little bit of water/laurel/willow oak in it. Water oak is the most common red oak in the South.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey D.L.,

I wouldn't take that bet.  The last few vintage floors I saw that folks claimed was "red oak," I didn't know exactly what kind it was, but red was not it, I'm with you.  I see as many black oaks being called red as not, and when you get down South...well, you have all kinds of stuff in vintage frames getting labeled with the generic "Red Oak," brand.

Regards,  jay

GAB

Mr. Martone:
Based on the color of the wood where it is cut off at the crotch and the bark I'd say there is a good possibility that it is bitternut hickory.
The bark also looks somewhat like maple in one area.
My guess based on the pictures,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on January 12, 2013, 02:40:28 PM
I wouldn't take that bet.  The last few vintage floors I saw that folks claimed was "red oak," I didn't know exactly what kind it was, but red was not it, I'm with you.  I see as many black oaks being called red as not, and when you get down South...well, you have all kinds of stuff in vintage frames getting labeled with the generic "Red Oak," brand.

Well, black oak is a red oak. I do see lots of "oak" threshholds at hardware stores that are actually ash, and "oak" furniture that contains elm.

DanG

I'm gonna say it's a Laurel Oak.  I've got Laurel, Willow, and Water oak in my yard and that bark matches the Laurel.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mmartone

I cut the end 4 feet off the "oak" log today and we got it on the mill, made a few slices and boy do I need some blades! Heres a slice, wet with water on the kitchen floor.

I cut some pine today and found a log that had a few feet of fat lighter as big as my cant at the bottom!

Dodgy Loner

Wow, that pine cant is awesome! :o

I bet it'll clog up a planer, but I'd still love to have it! :D

mmartone

I wondered if there was a way to glue it? We took it off the saw because it didnt rate for some 2x8's! Thinking of sawing it and maybe doing some table top out of it?

Ianab

I think it will glue up OK, biggest issue is probably getting it kiln dried to set all that pitch in the wood or it's going to seep sticky sap for ever.... Before / during / after you work with it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pineywoods

I sawed out all the framing for a garage addition from a cant that looked just like that. Guy that helped me frame it up commented "If this thing catches fire, don't bother calling the fire dept. It will be gone before they even get the fire trucks started". That was 12 years ago, so far so good. The doors on my kitchen cabinets are made from a similar log. Ran the lumber through my solar kiln, so far no sap bleed.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Ianab on January 12, 2013, 08:13:17 PM
biggest issue is probably getting it kiln dried to set all that pitch in the wood or it's going to seep sticky sap for ever....

Now don't be so dramatic, Ian. I'm sure in 100 years or so, that pitch will be completely dry. :D

It still wouldn't stop me from making a table from it. It would be awesome :)

Holmes

The oak slab looks like it has a dog jumping straight down toward the floor , head at the limb  tail  middle left.  Well maybe it looks like a seals head on a dog ;D :)
Think like a farmer.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Holmes on January 12, 2013, 09:24:20 PM
The oak slab looks like it has a dog jumping straight down toward the floor , head at the limb  tail  middle left.  Well maybe it looks like a seals head on a dog ;D :)

No, I think you've got the dog upside down. I see what you call the head being the tail. It is a little Scotty dog standing up on tip-toes trying to see over a fence or other obstruction.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!