The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Stihl 362 air filter system  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

Re: Stihl 362 air filter system
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »
Woodcutter_Mo
I'd like to see a picture of your filter

Here you go. Looks like the fine stuff gets past the sealing surfaces of the main filter and the big stuff inside the pre filter weaves through but I could be wrong.

img]http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35112/IMG_20170812_151828827.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1502570636[/img]

-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
-Saws- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque, 455 Rancher X-Torque, Stihl 024AV
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420

Offline Slab Slicer

• Hungry to learn
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »
That's what mine looks like
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18", Stihl MS180c-18". 2011 Toyota Tacoma, Ringo 12' trailer w/ folding rear gate, Iron & Oak 22 ton splitter.

Chuck

Offline joe_indi

• Senior Member x2
  • The older I get the more I learn
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:19 am »
I think a block of sponge/foam between the filter and the filter cover might solve the problem. Because from the pictures it would seem the saw dust is going in through the edge of the filter and not through the filter, reason being the filter seat is not pressed into its seat.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:52 am »
I think a block of sponge/foam between the filter and the filter cover might solve the problem. Because from the pictures it would seem the saw dust is going in through the edge of the filter and not through the filter, reason being the filter seat is not pressed into its seat.

That's a good idea, that may help keep the filter pressed against the base. From what I can tell, it looks like the filter leak would be towards the bottom as the top of the filter clips on tight.
-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:53 am »
I'm go check myn..I know that the filters themselves can be a bugger to out back on.  They arent cheap either try buyin a new one better hold onto your sneakers
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:38 am »
Hold the choke/kill switch down, helps the filter clear when removing and installing. Helps on this one atleast.

Offline kcward

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 02:55:57 pm »
Here are a  couple of pics of my filter.  I just bought the saw used and that is how it was.  He has the winter filter on and then the cloth/fibre filter on top.  It doesn's appear to be getting through the winter filter (the splinters) but dust is.

Offline kcward

• I'm new!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 02:57:42 pm »
And you need the top covet

Are you saying that the orange cover will not fit over the HD filter? 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 05:30:38 pm »
I was told you need the top cover if you use the Sthil m tonic air filter. The Sthil dealer told me that. He changed one over. It wasn't simple.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »
 I looked at a ms362 and a ms362C side by side and the top cover of the m-tronic will not fit the older 362, nor vice versa without swapping the white plastic base. So with the complete filter swap it looks like you would have to use the newer style cover as well.

The newer cover is slightly taller to accommodate the larger filter but won't clear the white plastic piece on the older model. So I assume that piece is one of the parts that have to be replaced in the swap.

This piece...

Offline kcward

• I'm new!
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:48 am »
I looked at a ms362 and a ms362C side by side and the top cover of the m-tronic will not fit the older 362, nor vice versa without swapping the white plastic base. So with the complete filter swap it looks like you would have to use the newer style cover as well.

The newer cover is slightly taller to accommodate the larger filter but won't clear the white plastic piece on the older model. So I assume that piece is one of the parts that have to be replaced in the swap.

This piece...

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Thanks for the tip...i priced it out to around $60, so depending on how much the white piece and the orange cover are will depend on if i do it or not.  If it is under $100 it might be worth it.

What do you guys think?