iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

health

Started by bedway, January 11, 2013, 02:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

All of you who are feeling well now, do all within your power to keep it that way. Hand washing, masks, etc. Wife and myself are both down with the flu here in pa. and let me tell you it is really terrible.

sandhills

My wife has been a nurse for somewhere around fifteen years and she said she's never seen anything like this year.  Our hospital has been full to overflowing going on a few weeks now with influenza patients and the retirement home in town is quarantined, a friend of ours that lives there can't even leave to attend her son's funeral this weekend, it's bad.  Hope both of you can get well quickly!

lowpolyjoe

Sorry to hear it bedway.  Good luck to you for a speedy recovery.

I feel like every year they say "it's a bad flu year".   But this year i'm hearing scary stories about quarantines and mandatory flu shot rules at schools and in the workplace.  Just watched the movie Contagion a few weeks ago too... spooky.

Wish i owned some stock in the flu-shot company  :D

SPIKER

I got it too, started Wed night thought it was from sucking diesel fumes and burning paint at the shop thursday I got worse, told work I'm done last night took today off and may end up w monday off too if this dont break...   Have not felt this bad in many years (if ever)

Head is all swelled up and full of bit of everything think I snotted out a 8lb trout this am after getting up.   Running on maybe 3 hrs sleep all week which was probably why I got sick.  took some generic stuff last night which I gave back 10 min later :p steve_smiley   have only had about 10oz of food in 2 days but probably filled a 5 gallon bucket more than once  smiley_airfreshener

trust me not something ya want to get or be around...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

I had it, and still shaking off the remaining affects. Two day before Christmas, and it lasted two weeks.
No upset stomach, but most other scenarios that the bug could conjure up.
Never have had the flu shot, so it finally caught up with me. Prolly will be sure to get one next year.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

the shot only protects 60%. those are kinda low odds i'll take my chance. flu go_away
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sandhills

I know this will come back to bite me in the butt but my wife has to get a flu shot every year for work, I've never had one and she tries to get me to every year, and this last week she's felt miserable with her hole head plugged up, I've felt good.  I told her yesterday I'm sure glad she got that shot.  OK now I'm gonna get sick, I know  ::).

red oaks lumber

sandhills... i hope you get well soon :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

saxon0364

My whole family got it one at a time.   Im just starting to feel good today. Logging with the flu is not fun.   Monday I made it to lunch time and sat in the truck for an hour before I came up with the energy to drive home.     
Nothing wrong with quiet.

WDH

All I can say is that it is real, real bad.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

Wife got it Christmas Eve. I did everything but scrub off my skin with hand sanitizer because I was on Christmas break from work. I came down with it on the 3rd. Doctor put me on antibiotics yesterday because my lungs weren't sounding good. Nearly have my 2nd box of Kleenex gone, but today I am finally starting to feel a little better. Fatigue, head plugged up, soar throat, then the lungs..............I'm really lucky to have lots of sick time, because I work in dust. I woulda been making nasal particle board if I had been there. I had the shot at the end of Sept. I guess I'm one of those 40 percenters.

thecfarm

I never had the flu shot. But I came down with a little lung problem and they really push to have one. So every year I have a flu shot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Certainly, the flu shots are not 100% protective, as has been stated.  One reason for an otherwise healthy adult, who can put up with the flu just fine, to get immunized is that many of us have aging parents, kids, or grandkids who are less able to safely deal with this disease.  I am usually against messing with my immune system, I really am, but my employer requires me to get a flu shot each year now.  We can have the debate about being forced to get an immunization at a different time.  But, if there are others in your life that may be severely harmed by getting the flu, you are not going to want to be the one that gives it to them.  So, to lessen the chance that those more jeopardized by influenza don't contract it, I suggest getting the shot, even though a bout of influenza won't do more than miserably file me away for a few days.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JuniperBoss

How do you know when you get it? I get sick every winter several times. Some times are worse that others. If you got the flu, how can you be sure? Not that it really matters, just curious. ???
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

bedway

Its been six days now since it started on me. Im feeling a little better but have no energy, and just want to sleep all the time (thats even more then my normal power nap time) ;D I still have congestion in my lungs and am coughing up some unidentifiable stuff. Im thinking of going to the store and hunt down some of that Robitusin stuff for congestion, what do ya think. My wife with her usual humor although i know she feels terrible says (im ok, just get my casket done quick) ;D Yall keep healthy!

SPIKER

My company (global shipping machines and tech support people all over) gives us free flu shots.   I got my shot each of the last 3 years and still got some foreign croup brought back by our tech support people each year.   

I'm actually feeling much better today than I did Friday but still got no appetite (probably good 4 me as I been gaining too much fat lately) and have a bit of congestion in my lungs.   That is the part that has caused me issue in past is the pneumonia like symptoms (or actual since I have scaring in my lungs from past issues.)   I have to take 3 or 4 deep breaths every 10 or 20 min to try & keep everything moving.

Mark :'(
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

low_48

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 12, 2013, 12:25:12 PM
How do you know when you get it? I get sick every winter several times. Some times are worse that others. If you got the flu, how can you be sure? Not that it really matters, just curious. ???

It's pretty easy to tell on this one. It's like the worst cold you ever in your had in your life, for two weeks. I just finished off my 2nd big box of Kleenex this afternoon. Another odd feature my wife and I had was that one day we got the feeling we had it beat, next day not so much. So, it's back and forth for two weeks. The wife is still on a nebulizer since she also has asthma trouble.

JuniperBoss

Ah, I see. I don't think I get it very often, then. Maybe once every 2 years or so. Last year I think I had it.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

clww

It may have been luck, a good immune system, or divine intervention but when I was in the military, we were required to get the flu shot each year. This was on top of being vaccinated for every other illness and disease of the previous 200 years, too. I'd usually get a cold each year, but I only got the flu once in 26 years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Roger2561

I haven't had the flu for at least 3 years and the last cold I had was over 2 years ago and it only lasted a couple of days.  I know I'm due for something...  Oh, I've never had a flu shot in my life.  Granted I'm 51 years old, but I'm very active.  As soon as these shinsplints heal and the supports I ordered arrive, I'll begin running (goal is to get back to 5 miles a day) again.  I guess it all boils down to getting plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids, eating right and for goodness sake, if you're sick stay home.  I work with guys and gals who show up at work looking like death warmed over.  They are not doing themselves any good and they are potentially infecting more people.  They are not impressing anyone.  For some people common sense is not in their vocabulary.  For all of you who are under the weather, get better soon.  I'll offer up a prayer for you and your loved ones at church tomorrow.  Roger
Roger

pineywoods

When I was in the military, I got a flu shot every year, required. Most of the time, I got a mild case of flu from the shot, so when uncle sam and I parted ways, I quit getting the shots. During one of my yearly check-ups, the old family doc grabbed me by the shoulder and told me, boy, if you come down with a bad case of flu, who's gonna take care of your disabled wife ? Besides, flu kills old people and you're older than dirt. Now roll up you sleeve. I get one every year. Sometimes, I still get a light case, but it usually won't last more than a few days.  This time, the wife developed a mild case, despite the shot. She's been down with it over a week. Take DoctorB's advice, Don't spread it around..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Slab Slicer

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 12, 2013, 12:25:12 PM

There's no mistaking it, that's for sure. Some folks I know tell me they have the flu, and are standing there with the siffles, and a little cough. When the flu hits, it's comes like a freight train. Almost instant fatique, fever, body aches to the point that it even hurst to touch the hair on your head. Not a little achy, but something along the lines of just having gone 8 rounds with boxings heavy weight champ. One minute your hot, the next your freezing, and are buried in blanket, yet you're sweating. Then there's the cough. I won't get to graphic, but the stuff that comes out can be used as contact cement. the least bit of activity has you feeling wiped out, and your breathing like you just ran a mile. But sitting all the time can get you in trouble with pneumonia. Forget sleeping lying down. That makes the cough worse, and breathing becomes a struggle at times. The last time I had the flu, I spent 4 days on the couch without moving other than for the "essentials". That didn't help as I came down with a slight case of pneumonia. If that was a slight case, I don't want it full blown, that's for sure. It was the first time that I can remember that it actually kept me out of work. Nearly 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you get it, YOU WILL KNOW. There is no mistaking it.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

beenthere

Slab Slicer

That was a perfect description of the first full week of the flu bug I had. Remove some clothing and it felt like the skin was peeling off right with it. But the following two weeks have been going through cleanup and shaking out the head and lungs. Hope to be better next week.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Well I knew it, went and jinxed myself and woke up with a 103.4 fever this morning.  Perfect timing because we're moving this Saturday and I still need a few days to finish stuff up on the house  :-\.

Magicman

Not good.  Hopefully you will kick it before this weekend. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!