iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stuck

Started by Kemper, January 11, 2013, 12:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemper

Had a little trouble a few weeks ago. Enjoy : )

Bill Johnson

I see what the problem was...not enough wood on the back tier ::)
Bill

Ron Scott

Not good! Makes for an upset owner of the field. ;)
~Ron

coxy

hate whene that happens to much cow crap on the field lol

g_man

Not fun.
I am glad our ground freezes up. At least some times.
I have to admit I did enjoy the picture but feel a little guilty about it.  ;D

CTL logger

Been there before I got a pic when mine fell through a rusted out culvert can't believe it didn't flop over I'll see if I can find it.

Kemper

Quote from: Bill Johnson on January 11, 2013, 12:31:29 PM
I see what the problem was...not enough wood on the back tier ::)

I was actually headed to the next log pile to finish her up. The land owner isn't to bothered, I have two dozers & track hoe that follow me around cleaning up my mess. The 850 JD actually got stuck pushing me.

clww

You need some more ice and snow down there.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

T Welsh

Glad to see I am not the only person that plows a field with a log truck ;D. Tim

lumberjack48

I got stuck with my Ole Autocar just about that bad on a logging road for two weeks one day. There was no way to get the loader truck close to it to unload it, the bottom just dropped out of the road.
My dad told me i wasn't going fast enough, that was his logic.  8) We made a road around it to get in and out of the job with the pickups. The ground was sugar sand, Jack Pine country over by Decker Lake. We hooked two skidders on it, no way was that sand going to give-er up, bust-en rigging up thats all.
So in stead of fighting with it, i told my father lets leave it there until it dries up. The wood wasn't going anywhere and in no hurry to move it. It took two weeks for the sand to setup, backed up to it with the loader truck, took half the load off. Then it easily came out of its resting place.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Krieger91

We did something similar to that out on the farm, sank a Case 580 Super L backhoe up to its' axles.  NOT a fun day.  Hopefully y'all got it out with minimal damage to any equipment or the land?

JohnW

I'm probably the last one to figure this out, but I rencently discovered that mud is slicker than grass.  So I guess when you get past the grass with your log truck, you need help.

What'd you have to do anyway, unload?

Kemper

I'm glad you asked. After the 850 JD dozer got stuck pushing us, we pulled it out with the skidder. We then took a track hoe & unloaded the truck, lifted the trailor out of the ruts then pulled the semi with skidder & pushed with the track hoe. Move the truck about 20 yards away & didn't have any problems the rest of the day.

Quote from: JohnW on January 11, 2013, 07:40:42 PM
I'm probably the last one to figure this out, but I rencently discovered that mud is slicker than grass.  So I guess when you get past the grass with your log truck, you need help.

What'd you have to do anyway, unload?

Ed_K

I spent a day with a dragline digging an 850 out,when the operator thought he could cross a dry stock pond  :o :D
Ed K

Al_Smith

Yes indeedy you can swamp a dozer then you have problem .Fact I swamped a D4 in a creek bottom so deep the fan was throwing water on me .Three days later it was out .Another small dozer and a wrecker with a 6 part line and a bunch of snatch blocks .

sawguy21

Been there, done that, wore the t-shirt. I hate it when that happens. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed_K

After the 2nd time the 850 was stuck,I welded a large steel rebar on the outside of a track pad on each side so we could chain a rr tie to it,it's slow but it walked out on it's own the next time  ;D .Operator gets to dig mud out from under blade arms to slide tie in  ;).
Ed K

Al_Smith

Walking out with ties will work if you can get it chained to the track .I've done so several times myself .

The Cat D4 carried 13" wide tracks which  were not enough to run in swampy conditions .The little Oliver HG  only weighed maybe 4 or 5 thousand pounds but had 10" tracks but would walk over mire that would swamp the larger Cat .I've used the little pup more than once to rescue the larger machine .

Best one I ever saw was a swamper owned by Welded Construction of Rosebud Mich .Long track D6 with basically a D8 6 or 7or 8  roller track frame and 36" pads .Widest pads I'd ever seen except on a tracked crane .

That swamper could get a good enough grip it was used several times to rescue the big side boom tractors on a 42 mile of pipeline I worked on one winter .I might add the coldest winter I can ever remember in these parts and me right out in it like I was an Eskimo or something .Not my idea of a good time .

CTL logger

I finally found the photos when my western star broke the boards someone put over a hole in a 24" culvert pipe this was a fun day thank goodness it had chalmers suspension probably would have tipped over the rear left bunk was almost on the ground. 

Autocar

OOOOOOOOOO my those pictures gives me cold chills, been there done that !
Bill

Jeff

Yikes, that must have been nerve racking not only going through, but then climbing up and moving the loader over!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JuniperBoss

Getting stuck is always my worst fear. If I had a big rig like that, I'd be so upset. That goes for all these pictures. Probably would never happen to me though because I'm always super cautious in muddy or snowy conditions ;).
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

CTL logger

Quote from: Jeff on February 02, 2013, 05:20:57 PM
Yikes, that must have been nerve racking not only going through, but then climbing up and moving the loader over!
If I remember the loader wouldn't swing on its own had to coax it that direction, the worst part was getting the straps off so i could get the loader moved stood in three feet of water to loosen winch didn't give it a thought til right after i was standing on wrong side. I don't think I was as worried as the guys logs I was hauling he was pretty excited when he got there.

lumberjack48

Reminds me when my dad dropped in a old beaver tunnel with the Mack. It was just like this, could tip at any time. Dad got up on the loader and got the biggest bucket full of wood he could and swung it out, and left it hang in mid air. This took a lot of weight off the down side. Then i got up on the load and started sawing blocks to put under the out rigger. So we could use the out rigger to lift the drivers up, it didn't take long before he drove out.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Kemper

Wow, we really put our selves into some sticky situations.

thecfarm

They was using a forwarder and going across the bog. It had been corduroy many years ago and a few layers of rock that my father and me put in to it. We went across it with a 40hp tractor and some big pine with no problems. A forwarder with a load of logs weights alot more than what we ever did and wider too. I think the wider part is what did them in.This is floating land and you could see it move even when we went across it. They broke through it and had to pick up a log and put it way over on one side to get out. They were so wide,they got off the road on one side. The road was not made for something that wide.Plenty of rocks was up by the landing and they hauled a few big ones into it to help me out. I hauled alot of small ones into it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

A bad day indeed.
The last one reminds me of chopping corn a few years back and having a KW silage dump truck fall through a 5' culvert. The guy had to climb out the passenger side, for fear of WHEN it was going to tip. I got some chains on a couple places on the box and pulled sideways with a Cat loader while another guy got in front with a big Volvo loader. The part that I just couldn't believe was the guy went and dumped his load without ever even taking a look at the truck to see what all was busted.

Norm

Wow that does look scary! There's a reason logging is rated as such a dangerous job, glad you came out of it ok.

coxy

norm every time i see your pic with that pice of meat i get hungry lol

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!