iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not sure what this means?

Started by drobertson, January 10, 2013, 09:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I went out for a few sticks of wood for the stove, bout an hour ago, 7:30 pm, central,  geese were flying north! lots of them,  maybe the low pressure has moved them a bit, don't know,  this is south central missouri.  Just seems a lil early.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chain

Were they snow geese [sky carp]? They fly up north, then they fly south, back and forth. When they fly high northward usually means a extended warm-up. May be are headed to the northern most of their feeding area until the next freeze-up, back down they come. Tens of thousands of them around here,  Bootheel Missouri and Arkansas  rice fields, they be lovin'.

Magicman

Maybe they were getting out of here.  We are predicted to see 77° Saturday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I am just starting to learn a little about geese, with the son in law getting into it with his Cheasy, but these birds were definitely low flyers, I think the idea of a short travel for feed and getting away from the heat down south is very likely,  we well bump the upper 60's today, only to get a dusting of snow saturday evening, ????
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chain

Twenty- five years or so ago, was rare to see visiting snow geese in winter, they were mostly considered a novelty and folks would pull off the highways to watch the huge flocks feeding along, sometimes within a 100' of the road. But now, flocks of several thousand are common throughout the winter into spring in the mid-south. Could be an indicator of climate change.

You may have noticed there's a 'conservation order' to allow hunting of snow geese after the regular season, no limit of geese, take plugs out of guns and blast away, but must pick up killed geese from fields.

My advice, particularly when the geese begin feeding on green vegetation in spring, do not gut the bird but take breast fillet only. There's a putrid odor you will not soon forget if you gut them out. Guts could be great for catfish bait! :D

DR_Buck

I saw a flock of high-flyers headed south day before yesterday.   It was just about sunset.  I think they are confused.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cypressstump

Where I lived outside Albq. N.M. for years, the Rio Grande valley is a major flyway, adjacent to the lower Rocky Mountian range, Sandia Mountain specifically. My front porch was at 5500ft and Sandia leak at 10,200ft. Every other day an old retired Navy man would walk the neighborhood. He would always stop for a quick chat if I were outside or in the garage, most times with a neat little joke or riddle as we'd often swap jokes.

One day while he was there, a flock of Canada geese was overhead in the valley, squacking away. As I pointed them out to Mr. John, I asked him, 'You see one side of the "vee' formation is longer than the other, he says' yes'.... I say. Yer a smart man, why is that, one side always longer than the other?',,,,,,,,   he ponders a few seconds, says, because the wind is out of the west, that affects wind resistance or drag. I say nope..... He said, ok,Because the direction they are traveling, the higher elevation of the mountian range provides better protection on one side of the formation,,, I say Nope, But you real close..... after a few more guesses, Mr. John says, OK, I give up, Why? 
I said, " I can't believe you did not get this one old buddy. The reason one side of the formation is longer than the other is because there are more birds on one side than the other."

That got away with him so bad, I did not see him for a few days..
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

drobertson

Now that is funny, might even belong in the jokes and intertainment ;D  It was flat dark when I heard these, not sure what they were other than geese, but they were low, relatively speaking, not in the jet stream.

Magicman

:)  I'll have to remember that one Stump.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

Snow geese flying this a.m. in fog, mist, seemingly headed northwest to feed. Flood watch is out for the next 24 hrs., warm and balmy, we'll pay for this!

Thank You Sponsors!